Gransnet forums

Chat

Retire or get a new job?

(122 Posts)
Nanny2859 Fri 15-May-20 14:51:12

I’ve been unexpectedly made redundant and really feel lost. OH retires at the start of September. Don’t know whether to try to get another job or take some time off so I’m off when OH retires. I’m normal times this would be a great opportunity for an extended holiday!
Also trying to decide if we want to carry on working or retire or downsize and not need to work at all. We’re both 53. I’ve also been warned by a friend against being too accessible for babysitting the grandchildren! Feeling a bit lost and don’t know how to fill my days. It seems a bit pointless even getting out of bed!
How do you make such big decisions ?

PatriciaH Sat 16-May-20 14:48:56

I retired from Dental Hygiene after 41 years last year when I was 61. My husband is supposed to be semi retired but finds himself working more than he should. I lasted 3 months and was so bored I started volunteering at our local National Trust property. That led to a payed part time job as a conservation assistant. I absolutely love it and have made some new friends.

Barbbenn Sat 16-May-20 14:51:03

I was in your position a few years back, being made redundant at 54 was a real blow, especially like many l would assume been worked since leaving school. I thought then l will retire. But after a few weeks l missed working, so looked for work. That itself wasn't easy, l found it difficult to get another job. I too felt l may get put on by family for babysitting duties, so l applied for some volunteering. I wanted to do something that would both help the charitable organizations and myself, so rather than work in the local charity shop (nothing wrong with that by the way, they are marvelous) l applied for different positions. Since then l have volunteered as a court usher, a childline counselling, the local school to help children with their reading and do some office administration work at a cancer charity. I have found that it much better than paid working, l enjoy every minute of it. I suppose if you're financially ok, it's something to think about. But l do think you may be to young to do nothing, you will soon get bored. My husband was retired at the time, and me volunteering gave us some space, plus you can choose your own hours, which will free up more time for you and hubby to do things together when things get back to the new normal. Good luck with whatever you do.

Molli Sat 16-May-20 14:52:51

As others have said if you can afford to retire then do so. But with the current situation and with the redundancy coming as a bit of a shock I would allow the 'dust to settle' as it were and see how the situation is in September. I am self employed and my work has all but dried up. I have no idea if I will be able to resurrect it after this pandemic or if I actually want to! I will be 59 soon and had thought of taking retirement at 60 anyway so thinking I may just limp on for a year or retire sooner. My hubby took early retirement at the end of last year and set up his own little business making furniture and household goods from copper and wood. Totally different to his main previous profession. He enjoys the creative aspect and although its early days he is enjoying himself and it brings in a little money. We still have a mortgage so have to be super careful. So perhaps give your time to get used to your new situation and then see what comes along! you might set up a little business together ?

Missgran Sat 16-May-20 15:11:22

I retired at 51 owing to a brush with cancer I then looked after my dgd so her parents could work and my dgs my oh took redundancy and early retirement so we looked after dgc until this lockdown a couple of days a week we also walk go on holiday though not this year we wonder how we had time to work

Hithere Sat 16-May-20 17:32:00

I would evaluate if retiring works long term.
You have 35+ years left and expenses will grow the older you get (health related, usually)

Do you and dh have a plan what to do with your time?
Many couples find it difficult to be together 24/7 when they retire after spending only a few hours a day while they were working.

Razzy Sat 16-May-20 17:35:09

It is a transition which you didn’t plan for OP, so now is the time to plan - get a financial review, look at how you spend your spare time now, how much do you need routine? I’ve worked odd shifts 24/7 most of my working life, I am used to being on my own out and about in the week. Some people hate it! I planned to be able to retire at 50; I’ve been part-time since I was 40, now I am 50 I am probably going to retire, but in the meantime I got a part-time job doing something different. I enjoy that so will probably continue with it after I quit my main job. I am lucky in that I’ve got a good pension (at age 55), good savings and no mortgage. My daughter is still at school though. I’ve worked hard since I was 16. I can easily fill my time and not get bored! I don’t need alot of money but would have enough to be living comfortably, as I do now. I think all these things need considering. Also, as a financial planner told me, most people spend far more in early retirement (up to early 70s) than after that, so your expenditure will probably go down later, albeit prices may go up.
We only live once - work out what you most want to do with that time!

Marieeliz Sat 16-May-20 18:03:27

Nany2859 I was made redundant at 52. Thought Iwas on the scrapheap. Took a job for a year hated it so left. Took 9 months to find another job was there till I was 72.

LadyBella Sat 16-May-20 18:08:13

If you retire, make sure you've got a purpose. I don't have really. I'm 70 now and for the last 10 years have felt slightly lost. I'd definitely consider working part-time in something you enjoy not just something for the money. Otherwise perhaps you could volunteer for a cause you admire. You would be welcome with open arms.

Joyfulnanna Sat 16-May-20 20:17:32

Kismet!! Go ahead and retire. I would if that opportunity came my way. Go to uni and do something you love

sarahellenwhitney Sat 16-May-20 20:33:30

Nanny2859
Keep going. 53 is the 21stC 33 year old.

EthelJ Sun 17-May-20 09:01:17

I would say it all depends on what you do, how easy it would be to get a job in that line, whether you enjoy what you do and whether your finances would allow you to retire. It's not easy to get a job post 50 and I think it will probably become even harder. But you could retrain particularly if you are interested in a job in a shortage sector.
I retired at 59 and can't imagine being in work again. I do look after grandchildren whenever my DD wants me to but I enjoy it and find
it more rewarding than work was. I also work as a invigilator during exam periods, and occasionly take part in research surveys to earn a bit extra money. I also do a couple of U3a courses and meet up with friends regularly . . I feel in normal times I am busy and much happier than when I was working

Shelmiss Sun 17-May-20 09:10:10

Joyfulnanna I did just that. Went to uni at the grand old age of 55. I was older than the parents of all my fellow classmates, and some (most) of the tutors too.....but it was fantastic and well worth it ?

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 09:11:26

I retired at 55 and have never missed work. I find plenty to occupy myself and there are so many voluntary opportunities available for anyone who finds themselves bored.

Nanny2859 Sun 17-May-20 09:46:46

I’ve been doing accountancy exams and love doing that. I was hoping to do the next level but wouldn’t be able to do that if I’m not working.

amymorris01 Sun 17-May-20 10:08:55

I agree with Vicky Meldrew.
I think a lot of people will be looking for a little p/t job after all this is over. So many people have lost their jobs because of Covid. Im 65 and have been furloughed from my full time job. I dont know if I will be made redundant (hope not!). My DH is 8 years younger than me so I am hoping to stay on at work for a few more years after im 66 in Jan. To be honest we need the money and people are lucky when they dont.
Also its quite lonely being at home waiting for my DH , who works in constuction and has had to work through this pandemic everyday.
By the way this is my first post so Hello every body.

Singleton1311 Sun 17-May-20 11:31:33

When you retire every day’s a Saturday. Take some part time work as it’s good to keep your mind and body active.

Hamp75 Sun 17-May-20 20:35:28

What a wonderful position to be in! Take your time to consider. I guess it depends upon what you intend to do with your retirement. Do you have an urge to travel or live abroad. If so nows the time to do it especially if you would like to live in Europe as you need to establish yourself there before the end of the year because of brexit. Do you have lots of interests to keep you busy. Having your husband around 24/7 can be very claustrophobic and you'll need time to each do your own thing. I think as other people on here have said that part time work, doing something that you enjoy could be for you if you are not moving away. Or even start your own business if you have an idea. Its true what they so though, once you stop work you wonder how you ever found time to go. Good luck.

kevincharley Sun 17-May-20 21:36:37

You know that only you can make that decision and that everyone posting on here is looking at it from their own perspective which could be a million miles from your own situation.
For what it's worth, if it was me I'd retire.

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-May-20 07:05:32

This CV lockdown has helped me make my mind up.
I’m 67 soon and working part time. I love what I do but am coming under a bit of pressure from all over, DD, friends DH.

I’ve decided to cut down by another day so I will only work 2.5 days/week. I need some structure.
Infinite time was good for the first few weeks but now it’s lost it’s sparkle for me.
As kevincharley said , your decision, we are all different.

Daftbag1 Mon 18-May-20 09:00:07

Why not temp. Through an agency is good that way you can have breaks between jobs and do a by of travelling, so the best of both worlds.

Franzipan60 Mon 18-May-20 17:34:47

At 55 after a lifetime of work and stress, we sold our home in the UK and everything we owned, and moved to France.
Was it scarey, yes, very, has it been difficult, yes at times, ha it been challenging, yes, learning another language and culture is. 6 years on, wouldn’t have changed a thing, nothing is ever perfect, but our quality of life has improved beyond our expectations, and no one knows how long you have on this planet.
During the last few months of this pandemic, we do not feel we have experienced as many of the stresses that our family and friends have in the UK.
So use this opportunity to really look at what you want from life and go for it......you may surprise yourself. I know I did.. it nothing is impossible if you have the motivation. Vivre le France ?? ??