Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(64 Posts)
12Michael Sat 16-May-20 06:08:16

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but with a grey sky over Brackley this morning.
Today for me , nothing much ,and planning on my usual Chinese Take Away , 2 courses .
Mind you with this lockdown, I find myself snacking between meals for and my weight varying slightly each day.
But also under normal circumstances I would have been having my bi annual diabetes check .
Take Care
Mick

CherryCezzy Sat 16-May-20 14:34:38

Urmstongran, ? ?

Kalu Sat 16-May-20 14:18:04

Halcyon days Taichinan. A rare treat for us sitting in Granny’s garden wearing sloppy joes, shorts and sandshoes. Happy days I can still picture.

Usborne books were popular in our house too EllenVanin eventually passed on to both DGs to enjoy. Fairy Tales for Little Children is still at ours although many have now been passed on to charity shops.

Urmstongran Sat 16-May-20 13:52:37

CherryCezzy the prices both of our apartments would fetch = the value of a semi.
?

Taichinan Sat 16-May-20 13:23:01

EllanVanin I used to love the Usbourne books when I had little ones to buy for/read to. Best ever I think - tho I still love the A A Milne books (not the American style ones). Why do they step in and change things - then we over here follow like pet lambs.

Taichinan Sat 16-May-20 13:16:34

Kalu I don't remember when I last did that! Vva stalk of rhubarb dipped in sugar! You're on!!

Feelingmyage55 Sat 16-May-20 12:17:31

Greetings from north of Scotland. Have been outside weeding and hoeing to fit in with the weather forecast. Got soaked in a sudden cloudburst so now dry and warm and feel entitled to do nothing for the rest of the weekend. ‘Nothing’ means making rhubarb jam, baking scones as neighbour has shared her flour (I will share the scones) and some crafting. BladeAnnie delighted to hear you ha a good day. A warm welcome to new people who will enjoy this kind thread. To all others. Keep on keeping on.

Serendipity22 Sat 16-May-20 11:57:25

Goooood morning Mick from Yorkshire..... well, talking of take aways I dont know if Fish & Chips falls into that category BUT the other day I had some .. whoaaaaaaaa mmmmmmmm.....

The sun is trying its level best to get out, whether it does or whether it doesnt, it's really lovely and warm.

Outside the house the workman are digging up the road , now normally it would be a case of grrrrrrrrrr... but considering were all experiencing unpresidented times, to see and hear NORMALITY taking place right outside my window I can tell you that its very welcoming

Enjoy your day everyone. smile

EllanVannin Sat 16-May-20 11:17:49

Good Morning All x
The sun is in and out of the clouds this morning, so a bit unsettled and still that cold breeze. Supposed to be warming up next week---let's hope so.

Bathroom to clean today but that won't take me long then I'll flick round with the duster.
I've been doing a shopping list as a neighbour offered to get me some shopping from Morrison's when she goes later, so top of the list was the cream sponge which I'd been hankering after for weeks.

Last week I'd ordered some reading/story books from a hospice shop online and they came yesterday, so after a wipe with Dettol wipes I began looking at them, they're children's books and are in excellent condition, practically new and were only £4.99 for 13 of them---Usborne books are popular for small children and easy to read. I was quite pleased with that bargain.

I also managed to get a pack of 2 normal light bulbs in an apricot ( warm colour ) and was sorry I didn't get 2 packs, but I can always order more. They were £11 something for the two, expensive to what they used to be but I need them.

I'll be using up the rest of a meat pie I made and froze a couple of weeks ago, with some mashed potato and mashed turnip( which I love ) for dinner today and a chunk of cream cake grin

Give D a ring to see how she's doing with all her flock and if she can she can pick the books up for the children. I'll see her from within the car you see----method in my madness, a bonus if the GGC are with her too. No harm in that. smile

Anyway, all of you enjoy your day whatever you do and stay safe and well. Gillybob, get cracking with a stiff e-mail x It's really not good enough.!
Take care everyone xx

Kalu Sat 16-May-20 11:11:11

Oh I hate having those sort of rubbishy sleeps Taichinan. Feet up with a good book and a nap usually follows as my main achievement for the day in an attempt to lose the wrung out rag feeling. A stalk of rhubarb dipped into sugar in a poke for a treat?

GrannyOwl5 Sat 16-May-20 10:57:44

Good morning Mick and everyone from a partly cloudy east Kent.

Been completing the online order for delivery next Wednesday; funny what items are out of stock. Other job today is to transplant seeds into the garden or pots; everything has sprung up and some resemble triffids. Have 42 sunflower plants which have erupted over the last week; shall farm some of them out to grandchildren to have a competition for who grows the tallest plant!

Hope everyone has a good day both here and in foreign parts. Stay safe and if you do go out don’t forget to take a Lert with you ?

Taichinan Sat 16-May-20 10:56:46

Good morning all from a cool grey breezy Angus coast. I haven't read all the posts yet, but Blade Annie so glad you had a happy "not wedding day". Every happiness to you both. Bellasnanna I keep meaning to say I used to live in Malta and just seeing your posts brings back many happy memories - at the time you think those days will last forever. My DD was born in Mtarfa, we we lived in Buggiba (sp?). Don't remember rubbish collections at all - though there must have been some! - but have strong and fragrant memories of the "honey wagons" collecting the sewage! Didn't get to sleep til 5am last night so this is going to be a non-achieving sort of day, but must pick me some rhubarb, if nothing else. Have a good day everyone and enjoy your extra freedoms. Up here of course we are still tucked safely away, which is fine for all of us with gardens and in rural areas. I do feel for people isolated in their city flats. ??

GrannySomerset Sat 16-May-20 10:30:57

Just taken delivery of a belated birthday gift for DH from DD - half dozen bottles of organic Chianti. He is delighted but wants to save it until we can have visitors again. Might test just one with tonight’s duck breasts, though.

Empty day ahead but there is always weeding.

BladeAnnie Sat 16-May-20 10:30:14

Good morning all from a grey mid-Notts. Just been chatting to DD1 from the safe distance of our upstairs terrace. She came to collect her cake box as she and DGD surprised us with some lovely cupcakes on our "not wedding day". We had an excellent meal delivered, champagne and a lovely group chat with all our children. Now looking forward to when we can really say "I do" smile. Stay safe everyone and may Saturday be kind to us all x

CherryCezzy Sat 16-May-20 10:24:41

Happy belated birthday Rosalyn ?

CherryCezzy Sat 16-May-20 10:21:52

Good morning Mick and everyone. Blanket cloud here in the Gower this morning.

Hello Billericaylady, welcome to GN ?

No need for painkillers this morning, I am virtually pain free ?

Pleased that you have been "spoilt" for your birthday Marydoll, especially so in these strange times and you deserve it. ?

Urmstongran, you do make me laugh - property values can depend on where you live so does yours compare favourably, do tell ?

Do fill in the questionnaire Gillybob, I'd give them a piece of my mind with more than a bit of sarcasm and simple contempt constructive criticism.

The week of pain I've gone through has been more than counteracted by the wonderful surprises and good fortune we have had. First it was the beautiful Azalea from the boys, then yesterday when we were putting the washing on the line one of our neighbours came out to chat to us; stood outside our gate, and during the course of our conversation we learned that a shop fairly close to us had bedding plants and was taking orders and delivering. We phoned the shop and now not only do we have bedding plants we have Italian flour, eggs, local butter, icing sugar and cake decorations. Woohoo! Strange how these usually normal things have become so exciting.
This morning we also received two letters, real handwritten mail. I knew the handwriting on the front was my neice2's. Inside were individual handwritten laters from the two older boys, one funny and one asking us what we want to do together when lockdown is lifted. Oh, the mixture of sadness but great joy I feel from receiving them ?

Slow cooked Moroccan lamb ribs for dinner later and I'll bake a cake, probably chocolate ?

Take care everyone and be kind to yourselves ❤️

Kalu Sat 16-May-20 10:17:29

Good morning all from a cloudy/bright mixed day in Glasgow.

Our gardener popped in last week to see how we were doing and the good news is he is working again so can start on the heavy work we can no longer do?

I am longing to walk along a beach whenever we are allowed, this is top of my list. I had a chuckle at ‘to hell with that’ *Grandmafrench’ this was accompanied by a shrug of the shoulders by our former neighbours in your neck of the woods no matter what the latest rule was?

A warm welcome billericaylady

I must do some ironing today before we have nothing to wear!
Deep joy!?

Best wishes for a good day to all.

Rosalyn69 Sat 16-May-20 10:15:21

Good morning from Grey Gower.
I see bathroom cleaning in my future and ironing. Yesterday was a day of rest - my birthday which my small family made truly memorable.

Mapleleaf Sat 16-May-20 10:08:06

Good morning all,

Greyduster has our forecast spot on. The sky has brightened a little bit so now a lighter grey, and there's a stiff breeze. Hope it brightens up a bit more.

Did a bit more in the garden yesterday, along with getting the bedding washed and dried, so that is waiting to be ironed later today.

DH is busy re-painting the garden bench, and is making a very good job of it, too. It looks like new. He found an almost full tin of mahogany paint/stain in the shed, luckily.

Welcome to all new posters. ?

Hope you all manage to have a decent day. Take care and keep safe.

Susan56 Sat 16-May-20 10:01:21

Good morning from the Shropshire borders where the sun is back?

Laundry and last minute changes to the food delivery today then hopefully sitting in the garden reading.

Marydoll I had to video DH cutting up an apple as DGD was getting very cross with DD saying only grandpa cut an apple properly.

Have a good day everyone.Stay positive and stay safe.

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 16-May-20 09:38:00

Good morning from east London, cloudy this morning, warmer than other days and sun is attempting to break through. I certainly got hot playing tennis yesterday, sun cream will go into my kit bag now; further match arranged for next Friday. Still in bed, been reading the first Harry Potter book again plus DP brought me a cup of tea which is a rare treat. Hope to see DD and family at some point this weekend; GD2 rolled for the first time yesterday, just waiting for DD to catch it on camera. We did think she might be a New Year Day baby, given she was due 31st December last year but I didn’t get my new year glass until 6 days later as I was on constant alert waiting for her to be born. Hope you have a good day.

Justwidowed Sat 16-May-20 09:34:40

Morning everyone from a cloudy Lancashire.MICK you're lucky to get a bi-annual check.In my neck of the woods its every 10 months.When I was a child it was every week!!!.Not doing much today,bake a few scones for myself and next door neighbours who have been so helpful.I couldn't have stayed in virtual isolation but for them.
Hope everyone has as good a day as possible .

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-May-20 09:18:26

Good morning Mick and all x

Welcome billericaylady I am not far from you (if you do live in Billericay that is ?)

Cloudy here in S E Essex, how are your seagulls Sar53

No plans for the day, I may persuade Mr.Gravy to go to our local RHS garden shop for plants, but I think his answer will be surely not at the weekend ?

We have a Morrisons delivery tomorrow and the order has been edited at least twice a day every day, it's a relief to know that it's now to late to change it again!!!

Marydoll I may bake an apple cake later?

Urmstongran and Bellasnana enjoy your warm sunshine.

Gillybob please fill in Barclays questionnaire, I filled out one for M & S with some very unflattering comments, they emailed me within 5 hours asked for my phone number and immediately rang me to rectify my problem - you never know it might help your situation.

Keep safe and well folks ?

Grandmafrench Sat 16-May-20 09:16:47

Morning everyone from a warm but cloudy but sunny (later) S of France.

Got very excited yesterday evening. Town Hall sent us a text announcing that the beaches are open. Mmmm, bit different from your beach I should think, Gingster.

Open but only to walk or run !

That’s the smidgen of good news, slightly spoiled by ‘important information’........no sitting, no sunbathing, no picnics, no dogs, no BBQ’s, no games. All other rules, like social distancing (which sometimes translates as to hell with that!) masks, and no handshaking must apply. And access only between 8am and 8pm.

No good for me because we won’t take our dogs and will then find that there are dogs - and I shall be so angry and will end up on the naughty step! So, that’s a thanks but no thanks from me.

Envious of the Grans seeing DC’s or DGC’s. Ours are at least a plane trip away and all travel is so unreliable at present, we have no idea as to when we can go to the UK or they could come here. Ah well! We have to be grown up about it all......as long as everyone is well and upright, that’s really all that matters.

Have the best day being content with bits of nothing and some laughter here and there. To all who feel a wobble threatening, to all who are unwell or sad, enormous hugs from across
la Manche ? ??. Happy Saturday to all and keep safe. x

SusieB50 Sat 16-May-20 09:16:11

Good morning everyone from a cloudy East London . I enjoyed seeing my daughter in the park yesterday . My SiL played football with the DGC a bit further away , it’s crazy really as my DS also pitched with the other GDC co- incidentally as they live 5 minutes away and visit daily . So we all stood in separate groups chatting . All four DGD stood miles away from each other awkwardly. So sad . As DD said crazy, as she is now allowed to work as a childminder what is the difference ?. The twins and youngest DGS all have birthdays at the end of May and also my D-iL , maybe we can have socially distanced picnics ! Today going to try and buy some large flower pots for some extra tomato plants that I have no room for . I hope the local hardware shop is open, he is only open for limited hours at the moment . DD has decided not to send youngest back to nursery in June . It is attached to the school which is a large 4 form each year . He is very shy but bright and articulate. DD thinks he would find the situation he would go back into would be too stressful . She has early years teaching experience so don’t think he will miss out but he is very shy . His sister is not in the age group to go back which would cause issues too . I personally think just year 6 should go back first, although I understand the concerns regarding early years education is vital , maybe mornings or afternoons only for reception in very small groups. Very difficult as I hear this morning the R rate has gone up .

Lins1066 Sat 16-May-20 09:13:45

Good Morning Mick and all from a sunny S Welsh coast, it feels warmer today.
Welcome to the new posters.
We are having a fruit and veg delivery from a local shop this morning, have had one every week since lockdown and the quality is excellent.
Homemade Spag Bol from the freezer later.
Have a safe day everyone and ? for all who are struggling in these strange times.