Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(73 Posts)
12Michael Mon 18-May-20 06:12:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another warm day awaits here in Brackley .
Todays plans small shop forgot somethings yesterday.
Tidy up a little , watch TV .
I was watching the NEWS yesterday, to see one of my favourite areas , having visitors at Bubblehead Viaduct , gathering in numbers ,mind you bring your own snacks and drink as the pub was not open unsure whether there was a take away Fish & Chip van there .
But we will see if releasing things to early , will see a 2nd wave of the virus and upward trend not only in UK but other places as well.
Mick

Rosalyn69 Mon 18-May-20 14:18:18

It is afternoon here - late to the party.
The husband and I went to Starbucks drive thru for a stay in the car outing. A caramel macchiato. What a treat. Driving through town was quite surreal though. Like zombie apocalypse.
A bit of light dusting accomplished and now the world is my oyster.

Kalu Mon 18-May-20 14:04:43

A warm welcome kezia.

How kind of your Mum’s carer to send you some happy photographs Jaycee. Helps to give you peace of mind.

Jaycee5 Mon 18-May-20 13:54:40

It's a lovely day here in Harrow. A nice breeze through the flat and lovely blue sky. It has not been so clear since I have been here.
It was noisy this morning as a workman was replacing our communal lights in the hallway. He cleaned the hallway before he left which looks much better. My neighbour had splashed something up the stairs and hallway which covered virtually everywhere which looks awful and it now looks much better. They are on now so hopefully they will change the timing when they have finished the blocks.
It seems a strange time to do it as they can't avoid touching the doors, handrails etc. but I suppose they think it's safe as they aren't going into flats.
The minutae of life seems like events right now.
I'm still enjoying the peace. Watching rubbish TV like Classic Eastenders and planning meals. For a couple of years any attempt at cooking was more miss than hit but for some reason I seem to be going through a competent phase. I've just finished off a cheese, potato and smoked fish pie. I need to use up some vegetables before they go off, so veg. curry and soup and on the agenda for tomorrow.
I'll ring my mother this afternoon and we'll have our usual chat about not doing anything. Now she is 94 it is not exactly a conversational flow but she is doing really well mentally for her age. Her carer sent me some photos and Mum looks very happy.
Have a good week everybody.

Beechnut Mon 18-May-20 12:30:12

Urmston you do make me laugh with you home value......then I laughed even more today when I saw kezia answer.
Welcome kezia

brook2704 Mon 18-May-20 12:26:52

Just popped back on here to read some more posts as it’s started raining ☔️
Welcome to kezia and fingers crossed gillybob gets some progress today ! ...

mrswoo Mon 18-May-20 12:26:40

I'm like you feelingmyage - always late to post on here. I'm another one who resists turning on my tablet too early in the day. I like to read all the posts before posting and then heigh ho! it's no longer morning!
Its definitely a do little type of day - its grey and wet here in Newcastle so I think I will spend the afternoon reading and doing an online jigsaw
We' ve had boiler problems for the past month as our boiler was ancient and decided that lockdown was the perfect time to give up the ghost . Weve had to replace it and now, joy of joys, we have hot water again. I did feel awful having to follow the plumber around - at a distance naturally - armed with a bottle of bleach and Dettol wipes

Fingers crossed for you gillybob I hope you manage to get some joy from Barclays today.
Have a good (rest of the) day everyone.

Taichinan Mon 18-May-20 12:20:39

It is still morning, so morning all. The Angus coast is a brighter grey today but any hint of blue is in the perception of grey! I used to be a morning person but lockdown has turned me into a night owl. I tend to sit up reading until about 2am now and then not get up until 9am. And I don't get a shift on until midday! I suppose once 'normal' returns and I'm able to hold my classes again I shall revert to my norm. But that, I fear, is a long way off. I watched "Educating Rita" last night. What a lovely film. Just love Julie Walters. From my little house on the hill I can look down on our small port and for the first time ever I have just noticed a ship on the move! I always thought they must be beamed in and out by Scotty. So sorry to hear of the aches and pains some of you have to contend with and I hope today is better for you all. ??. And gillybob I do so admire your tenacity and fighting spirit - I'd be stark staring raving bonkers by now if I had to contend with all that frustration! Now what I really need is either a memory (sadly lacking) or instructions on how to remember the names of all the people I want to respond to - how do you all do it? Mike your concern about a 2nd wave is my concern too, and I'll not be too quick to unlock myself even when we're allowed to up here - as I think someone else also said above. Anyway, stay safe everyone and enjoy your day. Time for me to get a shift on - in each of its meanings! ????

Feelingmyage55 Mon 18-May-20 11:59:50

Good morning/greetings from a blustery, cool north of Scotland. I generally post very late as I try to get other things done before opening my tablet. If I posted at 8 o‘clock I might end up reading/watching for much of the day. This way I don’t feel so guilty. Reading the GM thread is coffee time! Also there are lots of posts by now.
Condensed milk is indeed liquid gold although the caramel version is available. I wonder if the tablet would have a treacly taste if I used that and I don’t like treacle. However I have bought double cream and am going to try that out. I have to wrap up and give three quarters of tablet away when I make it as it is soooo morish. my T** delivery is sorted out and I am off to leave various bags outside the front door of various neighbours ?.
gillybob good luck.
Evyone have the bast day you can.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 18-May-20 11:24:48

I do sympathise Gillybob for your problems with the bank. At the start of Lockdown I seemed to spend most of my time on the phone - that was generally waiting at least 30 mins to speak to someone, often a lot longer.

Justwidowed Mon 18-May-20 10:45:20

Morning everyone from a cloudy Lancashire, drizzle forecast for this afternoon, but heavy rain and strong winds on Friday. I must make the most of Wednesday sunshine.
One of expected GGS is now going to be GGD, two expectant mums with same name and results mixed up,seems rather strange but they're still happy.
Am having a jigsaw day today,it's only 250 pieces but am still finding it hard.DH used to do 1000+ and them framed his favourites MUFC and cowboys.
Hope all have a good day and those with problems have them eased.

Urmstongran Mon 18-May-20 10:42:04

Why whywhywhy? Are you moving somewhere soon?

Urmstongran Mon 18-May-20 10:41:07

kezia ? love it!

It’s bluddy gorgeous here now, hot and sunny but we can’t sit out in the communal gardens nor go out for a walk until 8pm (restrictions on time zones for age groups hasn’t been lifted yet). It does seem a bit silly now.
?

whywhywhy Mon 18-May-20 10:39:53

Good morning all from a sunny and warm Market Harborough. More packing today. Stay safe. X

Nortsat Mon 18-May-20 10:37:36

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from a sunny east London.

Tesco delivery due today between 10.00am and 6.00pm. I have now discovered that Tesco will send a text message giving a more precise time slot, but I hadn’t been receiving such texts. On checking, I found I hadn’t updated them about my mobile phone number, 15 months ago when it was changed!

It’s a lovely day and I would dearly like to go out for a pub lunch, with my partner and then a nice walk.

Hope those who can go outside have an enjoyable time with their socially distanced families. Have a good day all and ‘let’s be careful out there’. ?

Kalu Mon 18-May-20 10:34:33

Good morning all from Glasgow where it is quite bright, not what I would call sunny just, quite bright and the rain has stopped!

I got quite carried away Urmstongran with thoughts of sitting at a pavement cafe something I would actually be wary of doing just now but it was a lovely thought in my head.

I had a delivery of spray paint I was after so a large hap spread on the grass and I will paint two old wooden fold up chairs which sit outside the kitchen at an old marble cafe table so if I use my imagination, I am sitting at a pavement cafe? aye right! Marydoll I’ll have a couple of bits of your tablet on my saucer to have along with my coffee please. Just the finishing touch at my dream cafe?

Hope your conference goes well gilly and as always, still hoping Blxxxy Barclays get the finger out. ?

I was in tears listening to Monty talk about Nigel SusieB
I thought he was going to breakdown himself at one point. It’s truly heartbreaking losing a loved pet?

Best wishes all for a good day whatever you get up to and a huge cup of cheer for those of you feeling down.

kezia Mon 18-May-20 10:34:06

urmstongran which one! grin

Urmstongran Mon 18-May-20 10:31:29

It is addictive kezia! Welcome to you ?
Nicer to join in than lurk! We’re a friendly bunch and if you post regularly you’ll soon get to ‘know’ us and be known.

You didn’t tell us the value of your home.
??

kezia Mon 18-May-20 10:24:51

Good morning from a warm and sunny East Devon. Towels drying on the line, looking all lovely and white smile
First time posting in this thread, I'm a GN lurker on the whole but this gentle way to start the day looks addictive

GrannySomerset Mon 18-May-20 10:24:10

DH up, washed, shaved and dressed, first load of washing out and then something of a blank. Wonderful cleaner will come back after the bank holiday, so only need to deal with housework this week. Hurrah! There is, however, always the garden .....

Good luck, Gillybob, hope you can finally get some sense out of the Bs at Barclays. And good wishes to all posters with real problems to face. We all need something to look forward to.

Mapleleaf Mon 18-May-20 10:20:35

Good morning,

A bit more blue sky today, but still cloud which keeps blotting out the sun. Feels a little warmer, though.

Had a very lazy day yesterday and watched the film "The green book" in the afternoon. It's worth a watch.

Must go out for a walk today, I've been letting it slip lately, which is not good.

Hope you all have the best day you can and keep safe and alert. ?

Grandmafrench Mon 18-May-20 10:17:59

Good Morning everyone. Fantastic day here in France - should reach 27 degs by 4pm.

Lovely to hear your positivity, Cherry. People often say that you shouldn’t need to chase people, especially regarding health matters - but you absolutely do. Never leave it to chance. We are nagged senseless about health checks, scans etc., here. I hate it. I especially would avoid a mammo’ (or having your boobs shut in a swing door, as I’ve always described it) if I could. But I always go. We owe it to ourselves to act responsibly, I think.

Gilly we know you’ll be ‘on it’ for your lovely man’s pills. Just add it to your list of spinning plates - in the queue just ahead of B B Bank. And you will succeed, just like the Jack Russell Capricorn you sometimes have to be! ?

How I loved Gran Torino, Harrigran. Will watch again.

I have outdoor chairs to oil and some new cushion covers to make. DH has agreed to go into the loft space over the garage (designed for access by 2’ tall persons) and recover a massive bag we bought - filled with all our garden seat cushions. More laundry, but at least no ironing. ?

Cats and dogs all stretched out in the garden....unaware that we shall creep up on them shortly with their flea, tick and sandfly drops. The cats always object...no idea why.....just being cats, I suppose.

My exciting morning has included being offered an appointment with an Eye Doctor - in 2 weeks!!!!! - so I can have new glasses. Hooray! The only test I used to pay for in England because, it normally meant a 6 month wait to have an eye test here. You can’t have your eyes tested at Opticians, and of course you need the test/prescription before having new specs. Not being able to get to the UK any time soon, I’ve been worrying about it, so I’m relieved to be seeing someone here so quickly.

Have a good day, everyone, whatever you do. Positive thoughts and hopes that we can all move forward and (soon) get back with our much loved families and friends.

Hugs from ???

Sar53 Mon 18-May-20 10:11:57

Good morning everyone from a very sunny Essex by the sea. A lovely day and week is forecast.
DH is on a conference call with work, he has started back today but only working from home again. Redundancies are on the cards.
Nothing planned today, a walk by the sea later.
Have the best day you can and stay safe everyone xx

Megs36 Mon 18-May-20 09:57:28

Urmstongran, your ‘retirement home’ sounds wonderful,enjoy as long as you can! we always intended doing something like that but were never quite brave enough, too late now, age and health , so anyone else thinking about it, when the opportunity comes again take the chance.

Susan56 Mon 18-May-20 09:55:28

Good morning from the Shropshire borders.After heavy rain overnight the sun is back out today.

Had a rubbish day yesterday with one thing and another so hoping for a better day today.

Stay safe and take care everyone.

Urmstongran Mon 18-May-20 09:45:53

Dear gillybob I would NEVER think of you as even trying to be nasty!
?