Gransnet forums

Chat

Shortest job you have had.

(29 Posts)
Lilypops Mon 18-May-20 22:39:35

In my Twenties I had a part time job to fit in with school hours as a waitress in a rather posh establishment. One day a group of Ladies who Lunch came in sat down and I took their order, I brought a plate in to them with different condiments on. Tartare sauce , mayonnaise, mustard ,seafood sauce, the whole lot slipped off the plate ,all down one of the ladies jacket that was on the back of the chair, the club paid for the dry cleaning and I left the next day ,I decided I wasn’t cut out for waitressing .

CanadianGran Mon 18-May-20 22:24:32

Waitressing for me... in my early 20's I could not make ends meet with my part time job at a bank, so took another part time job at a pizza joint (not very classy). I'm afraid I did only one shift and realized I was not very good at it. The next day the bank offered my full time, so I called the pizza place right away to say I wouldn't be back! Never had the nerve to ask to be paid.

Hats off to all restaurant servers.

V3ra Mon 18-May-20 16:35:03

My son is currently losing £500 a month on furlough pay as his regular overtime isn't taken into account, so he took a temporary job at a local parcel depot.
He arrived at 9am on his first day and was told by two supervisors if he wasn't happy with anything, no problem just go home.
As the day wore on he realised there was no toilet paper, no handwash and no sanitiser anywhere. He debated taking his own the next day but decided if no-one else did that wouldn't really solve anything.
The staff room had a grotty kettle and toaster, and a filthy fridge.
He left at 2pm!

Lizzies Mon 18-May-20 15:28:21

When my DD started nursery school I decided to get a part time job. Our local supermarket advertised for someone to fill the freezers with F****s foods. The hours were 9.30 to 11.30 which worked as DD was only there 9.00 to 12.00. The first morning I was given a size 18 overall (I was only size 12 at the time) being the one the last person had and shown what to do. I got to work and got my job done. At 11.00 a supervisor came and asked if I could stay until 2.00! I had made it clear at the interview that I had to go at 11.30 and told her this. She said if I couldn’t do overtime then there was no point me staying, so I went. I got paid £4!