Gransnet forums

Chat

Two Years Ago Today....

(81 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 19-May-20 06:40:05

It was ‘that’ wedding.

Whatever your views on Royal Weddings, I think that most would agree it was a spectacular day.
The glorious weather, the beautiful setting, the outfits, the ceremony, the music, the carriage ride....

So as H&M’s Cotton Anniversary dawns, just over 100 short weeks since that day, I wonder what they are thinking?

Did they visualise they would be the proud parents of a baby boy?
Probably.

Did they think they would be living in L.A., not London?
Probably not.

Did they envisage they would have no royal role to speak of, and little (I assume), contact with the Royal family?
Who knows.

Are they as happy as they seemed to be that day?
?

Before anyone says, not another H&M thread, I thought it would be a change from all the CV ones, serious though it is.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-May-20 18:25:38

Grannynannywanny You are quite right: the royal family paid for the wedding (excluding security), not the house refurbishment ?Sorry!

Maddyone As they have given up royal duties, they would not have anything in official royal publications

Niobe Thu 21-May-20 20:54:03

Eeazybee, that's my favourite poem!

maddyone Wed 20-May-20 12:08:57

Agree eazybee
I’m afraid I really don’t like her, though of course, it matters not one jot whether I like her or not. I feel slightly sorry for Harry, as he has been so protected and cosseted all his life, that I think he was probably couldn’t see what was coming. He didn’t understand her underhand manipulation techniques. He’s been used to other people being straightforward with him I suspect.

It must have been hurtful to him though if the reports are correct and their wedding anniversary wasn’t mentioned on the official sites the royals normally use to wish one another happy birthday etc.

MawB Wed 20-May-20 12:01:29

Actually, two years ago I was watching my two older grandsons (8 and 6 at the time) indoor “skydiving” and missed the whole thing!
Don’t think I missed much!

Anniebach Wed 20-May-20 11:47:30

I don’t‘ ‘love Harry’, spoilt selfish people are difficult to even like.

Purplepixie Wed 20-May-20 11:37:40

Happy anniversary to them. It is so sad though that it has turned out like this. I just hope that I am wrong but I can see it all ending in tears when Megan gets bored and doesn’t get her own way. I hope I am wrong as I love Harry as a lot of us do. X

eazybee Wed 20-May-20 11:34:52

Why should they?
She has taken his 'gift of a nine-hundred -years-old name' and together they have trashed it.

maddyone Wed 20-May-20 10:37:36

I saw in the news that the royal family put nothing on their official Twitter and Instagram pages yesterday about H+M’s wedding anniversary. Is that a very royal snub? Maybe they wished them a happy anniversary privately.

Mealybug Tue 19-May-20 21:48:50

She got what she wanted, to get him away from the royal family and they were probably persuaded to stepping down once they decided to leave the UK.

Bluecat Tue 19-May-20 20:25:04

Callistemon, if the best thing about the royal family is that they are very rarely seen, we could have an imaginary one. Think of the money we could save!

Daftbag1 Tue 19-May-20 20:22:08

I just look at them and think M looks happy, but H looks miserable, I think she knew exactly what she wanted, and went out to get it, one very determined woman. Harry was desperate to marry, he wanted his own Kate. He was putty in her much more experienced hands, and she promised so much........

I wish them well, and hope that Harry is happier than he looks. I also hope that M isn't trying to emulate her countryman Michael Jackson, she is certainly becoming weird.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 19-May-20 19:32:56

Harry has to be well and truly under the thumb to have walked away from all he has achieved in his thirty plus years. Did she ever consider being the one to change ?Did she give it a chance? The only reason he will stay is for his son.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 19:23:38

And if the marriage breaks down I don’t suppose it will ever be repaid. Indeed Grannynannywanny, I also hope similar leniency will be shown to people who have been plunged into financial difficulty during this Coronavirus pandemic.

Grannynannywanny Tue 19-May-20 18:59:33

Tweedle24 I’m happy to be corrected if I’ve got it wrong. But it’s been widely publicised that the £2.4 million for the Frogmore refurbishment came from public funds.

It was under discussion as recently as yesterday on GoodMorning Britain on ITV.

They reported that H&M had commenced a repayment plan to refund the money to the public funds.

They are reportedly spreading the monthly repayments over 11 years.

I hope the same leniency will be shown to families who have been plunged into poverty and and are unable to meet their mortgage payments.

Callistemon Tue 19-May-20 17:35:10

Bluecat I think that is why the Royal Family is far preferable to an elected President who would never be off our TV screens pontificating and interfering.

Whatever our preference, we need a Head of State and Head of the ever-increasing Commonwealth.

Tweedle24 Tue 19-May-20 16:47:03

GrannyNannyWanny I think ,but am willing to be corrected, that Prince Charles paid for the house renovations on a property that badly needed refurbishment. What does irk me is the cost of security. I feel that as they chose not to take on any further royal duties and not even live in the UK, that they should pay for their security themselves.

Lizbethann55 Tue 19-May-20 16:44:00

This comment is very tongue in cheek! I don't fancy the chances of the next American divorcee who falls in love with a member of the Royal family! At least Harry isn't heir to the throne.

earnshaw Tue 19-May-20 16:38:43

i love most things royal so that is why i am so so disappointed in harry, i honestly cant see that this would be the way he envisaged living it life, LA might be fine for megan but not harry, even though the decision was, supposedly , a joint one i really feel it was mainly megans idea. and please harry no more complaints against the press and racism, looking back to two years ago there was no mention of racism then , it was just a lovely day with a lovely couple, there was no way megan was treated how diana was,no comparison at all, so lets not make that the excuse, the last engagements they had over here was attending a service in st pauls and megan saying to harry... big smiles,, why would she need to say that, one last thing please please no tell all book, it might make them very wealthy but, surely, family comes before wealth

LightAmber Tue 19-May-20 16:29:58

Apparently they are going to renew their vows for a wedding "they have chosen

Why, do they want people to assume that one of them has broken the original vows?

Bluecat Tue 19-May-20 16:01:39

If people want Harry back, they could just pretend to themselves that he is living here. What difference would it make? Not going to come round to your house or ask you to pop round to his, is he? Even before the royal family was put into mothballs because of the virus, their presence in the country hardly makes a difference to anyone's daily life, unless you're a tabloid journalist.

Millie22 Tue 19-May-20 15:57:23

It was a wonderful wedding and for Meghan to walk down the nave of the chapel alone I think took some courage. But unfortunately it all seems to have gone a bit awry. I hope Harry is happy with his new life.

Callistemon Tue 19-May-20 15:45:10

What a lovely day that was.
Someone on another thread reminded us of the beautiful veil that Meghan chose, embroidered with all the emblems of the Commonwealth countries and I remember thinking what a wonderful gesture that was and how much promise there was in that symbolism.

How sad that it has come to this though.

Happy anniversary, Meghan and Henry.

Baloothefitz Tue 19-May-20 15:30:46

Ladyleftfieldlover well said . I wish them a very happy 2nd Anniversary & many many more .

Puzzler61 Tue 19-May-20 15:29:05

If Harry has fallen for Meghan hook, line and sinker then he will follow her anywhere.
He won’t be the first man who loves a strong- minded woman, nor the last.
And if the shine wears off for him he can come back to the bosom of The Firm in Blighty.

Anniebach Tue 19-May-20 15:12:42

It was Meg who said in S.A. ‘I am a woman of colour’ .