Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you firmly attached to your handbag?

(107 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Tue 19-May-20 22:04:01

Hi all,
I am absolutely superglued to my handbag at all times, I favour a medium sized top handle bag with lots of spaces. I am currently using a David Jones rose gold coloured one with beige handles and lots of spaces. I have severe chronic pain and am in bed a lot so it stays at the side of the bed and comes with me wherever I go. Sometimes I can't sleep because of the pain and will go downstairs to get something to eat and a latte or cup of tea (I usually have a pasta satchet that you make with hot water in a cup). I also am worried about it being stolen as I live on a busy road but I keep the bottom drawer of my tallboy empty to use against potential burglars (I am a very nervous person). My mother said it is unnecessary to carry my handbag everywhere. Do you do it?

BlueSapphire Wed 27-May-20 21:54:52

Haven't seen any of my handbags since the beginning of lockdown!

sunnywilson09 Wed 27-May-20 20:46:12

I tend to toss it behind the front door when I walk in, although my DH always gives me heck for this and forgetting to lock the door. I'm either too trusting or naive; I say the former, he says the latter.
get-mobdro.com

GrauntyHelen Thu 21-May-20 13:52:08

I am ahandbagaholic I have mine by my chair in the day by my bed at night and only go out without one when dog walking It contains anything /everything I may need in a day and keeps everything together

Cathie72 Thu 21-May-20 13:43:39

Thank you very much for starting this discussion Lots of interesting things came out of it re our likes and dislikes. I always keep my small shoulder bag with money,phone ,glasses etc .Just in case of an emergency. I come from an earthquake prone country. ..that why NZ.

Floradora9 Thu 21-May-20 10:14:27

I hardly ever use one I have a shopping bag that goes everywher with me . Used to take a handbag to the cinema or when I went out for a meal . I only carried my purse , a comb and Dextrose tablets in case of low blood sugar.

b1zzle Wed 20-May-20 22:02:01

I feel sorry for my handbag at the moment. I only go out once a week to supermarket shop, but I just take shopping trolley and purse and leave the handbag at home.

Poor thing. It hasn't been out since March!

Espes Wed 20-May-20 19:49:51

Sewing! Not seeing

Espes Wed 20-May-20 19:49:22

My favourite for summer is a primani tote in mustard yellow. Goes with loads and I have my mini survival kit in there. Pen, paper a plaster, wipes, sanitizer, mini seeing kit (from cr acker) etc etc

CanadianGran Wed 20-May-20 19:39:36

Found another difference in language use. We call your handbag a purse, your purse a wallet and your rucksack a backpack.

Although I have 5 or 6 in my closet, I generally use one med size cross-body purse per season. A dark leather one for fall/winter and a lighter straw/fabric one in summer/spring. I do have a few evening ones (rarely used). I don't spend a lot, compared to some here. smile

I tend to toss it behind the front door when I walk in, although my DH always gives me heck for this and forgetting to lock the door. I'm either too trusting or naive; I say the former, he says the latter.

While it always comes with me to work or shopping, I try to keep the contents to a minimum so as to keep the weight down. Wallet, phone, small notebook and pen, hand sani, lippy and a tiny measuring tape that has come in handy quite often!

paddyanne Wed 20-May-20 19:33:28

I have quite a few ,usually presents .Currently using a black leather tote style or a small crossbody cream leather kipling .I always have my purse,breath freshener, tissues ,keys ,specs and basic makeup .The big bag houses shopping bags too.Its inbred I'm afraid my mother always used to tell us a young lady wouldn't leave the house without ,her handbag and gloves HER mother said hat bag and gloves ,and we'd be struck down if we went out with bare legs

annodomini Wed 20-May-20 19:27:40

Now look what you've gone and made me do. Thinking about bags, I found myself surfing Ebay. For bags, of course. What did I find? A large cream leather Tula bag - just what I don't need, but the price was irresistible and I didn't need to bid as it was a 'buy it now' item. hmm

sunnywilson09 Wed 20-May-20 19:17:06

I still think you d be better with a chain on the door than drawers to bash a burglar over the head with ?I think by the time you got out of bed and pulled the drawer out you d be a goner but I m guessing your not serious about that

annodomini Wed 20-May-20 18:40:55

I have a number of handbags, mostly cross body, bought -lightly used - from Ebay. One of my favourites is a Hotter bag, bright red and capacious, which I use to cheer up my winter garb with matching gloves! A brand I like is Tula, cheaper version of Radley and very nice quality.

Rosiebee Wed 20-May-20 18:29:12

I have a couple of David Jones bags. Not expensive but practical. However I have now designated a cross body bag as my Covid bag.I only use it when going shopping. It contains:
Hand sanitizer, wipes, gloves, tissues and my debit card. Just pop in my phone as I go out. Much easier than my usual bag, no rummaging round to find my purse etc.

dogsmother Wed 20-May-20 18:06:20

Another here who just finds them in daily use a nuisance and chooses a phone with a few notes and cards in the cover, and a tissue up my sleeve.

FlyingHandbag Wed 20-May-20 17:47:48

I am now sitting in the garden in a garden chair with my handbag hanging on the chair

BlueBelle Wed 20-May-20 17:43:26

I ve never used a hand bag I always use a shoulder bag I only carry purse, phone, keys and tissues I like a rucksack for shopping days
How anyway can pay the price of a washing machine on a bit of leather I will never understand

Bijou Wed 20-May-20 17:37:28

When I used to go shopping once a week I took a handbag. Purse, card wallet (never put cards in purse), phone, pills, keys, drink, sandwich and spare pad.
Davy Jones was a pirate and Davy Jones locker is the bottom of the sea where he ended up.

CBBL Wed 20-May-20 17:09:32

I have "everything" in my handbag! I don't use makeup generally, but carry a "tangleteazer" comb, a mirror that shows your whole image. several small notebooks, "our" passports (in a zipped pocket), prescriptions (always needed when we have a hospital appointment), lots of medical items (hand sanitizer, nasal inhaler, bottle of Frankinsence, a nail file, a pen, tissues, lipstick (rarely used), Co-codamol tablets (several blister packs), a metal card case (full), my purse etc, etc. If I were to get it and start taking stuff out - the list would be so long, everyone would have given up reading by the half-way stage! I like a bag with a shoulder strap, which I wear cross body fashion, to deter possible thieves. My husband makes fun of me with regards to the contents of my bag, but passes to me anything he needs when we go out, and expects me to look after it! He won't carry cash (though he does have two cards - Debit and Credit).

Lizbethann55 Wed 20-May-20 17:03:41

It was my birthday at the end of January. I asked the kiddies for a small black handbag. They bought me one which I think must have cost a fortune a Michael somebody or other. I haven't had a chance to use it yet and don't know when i will as it is much fancier than I dare use, usually I crop them on the floor, kick them out of the way and generally treat them with little respect. My mum, a very wise lady, always left an old handbag by her door. In it was old makeup, an ancient comb, tissues, sweets and old pre euro foreign money. In fact nothing of any value or worth. The theory was that if any opportunistic villainous types should knock on her door, they would see the handbag, grab it and run.

Bluecat Wed 20-May-20 16:20:49

I have not got a handbag. My dear mum always wondered how I managed without one.

I believe in pockets. Why aren't there more pockets in women's clothes?

Greciangirl Wed 20-May-20 16:13:32

I haven’t used a handbag since lockdown, as never go anywhere, so what’s the point.

As for taking it to bed. No thankyou.

Hetty58 Wed 20-May-20 15:49:37

I can't imagine what on Earth people need to carry in them. My card goes in my phone case, that's it, really. I'm surprised that people still use purses and handbags now.

grannybuy Wed 20-May-20 15:42:54

Rucksacks are easy to wear, but a faff to get things out of, as in need to take it off every time. Also, easier for thieves to target. For those reasons, I only use one on an occasion whereby I have more to carry than my handbag will hold. It's a cross body bag for me on a day to day basis, smaller handbag for special occasions - which are few and far between?

Shelmiss Wed 20-May-20 14:54:18

Oh I’ve been well and taken in by the designer twaddle. I’ve got a few Mulberry’s, a couple of Pradas and the odd Stella McCartney.

I love them all and interchange them so I get use out of all of them......at least I used to until lockdown! ?‍♀️?