Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you firmly attached to your handbag?

(106 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Tue 19-May-20 22:04:01

Hi all,
I am absolutely superglued to my handbag at all times, I favour a medium sized top handle bag with lots of spaces. I am currently using a David Jones rose gold coloured one with beige handles and lots of spaces. I have severe chronic pain and am in bed a lot so it stays at the side of the bed and comes with me wherever I go. Sometimes I can't sleep because of the pain and will go downstairs to get something to eat and a latte or cup of tea (I usually have a pasta satchet that you make with hot water in a cup). I also am worried about it being stolen as I live on a busy road but I keep the bottom drawer of my tallboy empty to use against potential burglars (I am a very nervous person). My mother said it is unnecessary to carry my handbag everywhere. Do you do it?

aggie Tue 19-May-20 22:07:59

Half the time I don’t know where mine is !

MiniMoon Tue 19-May-20 22:12:42

I have a couple of smart handbags for going out, to funerals etc. For everyday I favour a backpack. I have two they are small, but still hold everything I need even my water bottle and a picnic.

BlueBelle Tue 19-May-20 22:19:58

Got mine at the charity shop never know where it is it serves a purpose though because my pockets aren’t big enough for keys, phone, tissues and purse
How do you use a wardrobe drawer against a burglar ?
No idea who Davy Jones is apart from his locker or was he in the Monkees

annodomini Tue 19-May-20 22:20:48

During the lock-down I haven't needed my handbag but I had to find my Green Flag card today to arrange to have the car's battery recharged. Naturally, it was in my handbag.

sodapop Tue 19-May-20 22:20:57

Sounds like your handbag is your security blanket Flyinghandbag nothing wrong with taking it with you if that makes you comfortable.
I'm sorry you feel so nervous about everything, have you talked to anyone about this.

FlyingHandbag Tue 19-May-20 22:22:43

BlueBelle I used the wrong word, I mean a wooden chest of drawers. My thinking is that I would pull it out of the unit and hit the burglar over the head. David Jones is a designer.

FlyingHandbag Tue 19-May-20 22:24:07

Sodapop I have spoken to relatives about it but I haven't always been nervous, only since I started to suffer from pain in my legs. X

NfkDumpling Tue 19-May-20 22:28:48

I did find I was starting to just take my phone out with me with a credit card and a tenner in the cover. I was concerned that I might drop it or leave it somewhere and eventually found what is essentially a purse with a pocket for my phone and an across the body shoulder strap. That I am attached to. I pick it up on the way out of the door and don’t take it off until I get back in. I have more handbags than I should have, all large or mid sized and the purse slips nicely inside any of them.

LadyBella Tue 19-May-20 22:29:08

Nearly everyone uses rucksacks these days. I love them.

MadCatWoman1 Tue 19-May-20 22:33:06

I've got several handbags, but tend to use the same one (Fiorelli, black leather)most days. I keep a lot of things in it - a full make-up bag, hairbrush, wet wipes, Paracetamol, a couple of pens, a notebook, mobile 'phone, small scissors, spectacle wipes, nail polish, hand cream, inhaler and a bracelet my 9-year-old GD made me.

FlyingHandbag If you're worried about burglars, would CCTV or an alarm help?

Alishka Tue 19-May-20 22:34:43

I empty my handbag after every use. Might, or might not, use the same one the next time I go out - depends what I'm wearing + where I'm going.

FlyingHandbag Tue 19-May-20 23:10:27

MadCatWoman1 It's very unlikely that I would be burgled as although the road is busy, they wouldn't have the opportunity as there's always someone passing or watching. Thanks for your suggestions x

BlueSky Wed 20-May-20 00:02:01

My crossbody handbag with my iPhone, credit card and everything else, goes every with me, I never leave it and often dream I lost it waking up in a panic!

Lucca Wed 20-May-20 06:44:09

Ladybella. Nearby everyone. ?

Lucca Wed 20-May-20 06:45:24

Sorry .... nearly ?

Calendargirl Wed 20-May-20 06:52:09

I take my purse out of my handbag when I go shopping, it sits at the bottom of my shopping bag. Very rarely take anything else, my credit cards are in the purse.
The handbag sits in state on the bedroom floor, don’t use one much since I retired when I had it with me every day.

Missfoodlove Wed 20-May-20 07:11:37

My everyday bag is a Tustings tote.
I love this British brand.
The bags are made to last and the company will refurb any of their bags at cost.

I have about 20 bags, all in really good condition, I look after them.
I refuse to buy the obvious designer bags covered in logos.

My bag is always at the ready, lipstick, brush, purse, pen, tissues and hand sanitizer!!!

Alima Wed 20-May-20 07:26:43

My Kipling bag rarely comes out of the cupboard. Generally use a tote bag for bimbling around local shops. Presently looking at getting a contactless money card to use locally due to Covid. Will be able to bung that in my pocket. Ah yes, hand sanitizer is in a pocket too. At this rate I will end up having to buy one of those Australian bush jacket thingies with loads of.....pockets.

tanith Wed 20-May-20 07:47:19

I rarely use a bag for everyday use. I put my phone and debit card in a pocket if I go to the shops (not at the moment). I have a small Micheal Kors Cross body purse that holds money, cards, freedom pass, and glasses that does if I need to take those things with me.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-May-20 07:48:13

Womens’ clothes just don’t have proper pockets so I’ve got one of those bush jackets Alima which I wear when birding for spare camera batteries, cushies, tissues, etc, its very confusing as I search from pocket to pocket. I feel sure things move around. Even when I wear it I still have my cross-body purse slung across my torso.

Esspee Wed 20-May-20 07:57:38

I have an assortment of beautiful different coloured leather handbags (don’t own a Rucksack @LadyBella, don’t know anybody who does either) but these days I tend to just pocket my bank card and a tissue on my few journeys to the supermarket.
Handbags seem to have become redundant.

BlueBelle Wed 20-May-20 08:04:30

Well my comment about Davy Jones was tongue in cheek flyinghandbag I don’t have any truck with designer stuff I think it’s just made to make people part with huge sums of money and I d rather be seen with something that pleases me than something ‘with a name’
I still think you d be better with a chain on the door than drawers to bash a burglar over the head with ?I think by the time you got out of bed and pulled the drawer out you d be a goner but I m guessing your not serious about that

As for the bag it’s obviously become your comfort to hang onto and why not if that what pleases you but it is an inanimate object so surely if you can’t allow something (or in some cases with others a someone) out of your sight for a moment it has become a trial, a worry, a fear.
If this is jokey thread sorry to not have ‘got it’ but if you are seriously so afraid that you take your attachment with you everywhere then I do think you need some psychological help

kittylester Wed 20-May-20 08:05:10

My handbag always sits by the desk in the hall and has barely moved since lockdown. It is vast and bright pink!!

I love handbags but dont spend a fortune on them - well dh buys most of them!! £100 is tops.

Ladybella, i dont know anyone who uses a backpack apart from my sil and she has never owned a handbag - which is weird in itself.

TerriBull Wed 20-May-20 08:12:03

I've ceased using any of my numerous handbags for ages. Instead I use a Radley type large purse with one of their dogs on the front. It has a large loop so hooks over the wrist, I like it for walking, I find a handbag impedes that somewhat. Just big enough to contain some cards, phone, keys, mask and gloves. All I need when I go out right now!