Gransnet forums

Chat

Stockpiling - post lock down

(83 Posts)
kittylester Sun 24-May-20 19:06:11

I didnt stockpile before lockdown but, having been without a delivery slot for a month at the beginning, I make sure I have anything and everything we might need in case we dont get another one!!

I could now supply the whole village but, as i need fresh stuff, like milk, bread and fruit and veg weekly, I keep stocking up.

Anyone else?

merlotgran Mon 25-May-20 21:17:38

I always keep our stocks up because of where we live. I miss going to Aldi though as Sainsbury's and Tesco are more expensive and I'm buying more each week as I daren't risk running out of anything.

DH said the other day that we must be 'saving a fortune' as we're not spending on anything.

Daft bugger doesn't bother looking at the Sainsbury's receipts!! He'd get a shock if he did. shock grin

lemongrove Mon 25-May-20 21:39:09

Good point Doodledog ( and somebody needed to say it)
Two completely different things.
I usually keep a small stock of non perishables, especially toiletries , but did need a better stock of tins/packets etc.
Apart from flour ( which is still hard to come by) the supermarkets seem to have everything else in good supply.

newnanny Tue 26-May-20 02:39:34

I have always got a freezer full of frozen food and enough tins to last us a month. I always keep a few cartons of long life milk in as I use it to make custard.

I did not stockpile for Brexit or before lockdown. I just got a few extra jars of coffee and teabags.

I too could not get delivery slot as I had not bought groceries online before.

I was able to post my sister some yeast. I gave a neighbour a jar of coffee and some kitchen roll when they could not get slot.

As I use things I replenish them. I have always done that. My Mum taught me to replenish and rotate stock.

I have recently stocked up on vitamins, liquid soap, and paracetamol in case of second spike.

Elegran Tue 26-May-20 08:08:05

lemongrove "Good point Doodledog ( and somebody needed to say it)" Yes - and I said it yesterday!

Stocking up " is growing/buying enough to supply you until you can grow or buy again. It is something that prudent housewives have always done. At least, they used to, before there was a supermarket on every corner and preserving crops was the only way to survive a bad winter.

Stockpiling is buying up vast amounts, more than you are likely to use, because it is there, with the result that others have empty storecupboards. It is done by those who are NOT prudent, but are panicking at the realisation that they are unprepared for even a short siege.

Juliet27 Tue 26-May-20 08:28:33

My DH enjoys finding Tesco slots. He booked one for 1/6 about ten days ago then found a slot for yesterday so thought he’d transferred the list and was surprised nothing arrived yesterday. We should have checked that it had updated. So, until the delivery next Monday, he is going to visit the store for the first time since lockdown and I’ll make the most of using up stored tins and emptying the freezer to defrost it. Quite opportune really!!

Craftycat Tue 26-May-20 09:53:05

NO - not at all. I am shopping at several supermarkets as I am doing it for elderly neighbours too.
I shop about 4 times a week at the moment- the shops are not very busy so it is no problem.
I would never stockpile. It only stops everyone getting a fair share.

c6girls Wed 27-May-20 02:15:23

I used to cook for 8 but now its only 3 of us, so force of habit, I've always replaced whatever I've used so was never short when all the panic buying was going on. Even with milk and bread we made do with evaporated or condensed milk and crackers instead of bread. Obviously I don't buy for 8 now but cupboards/freezer never seem to go down ?