Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you planning on meeting someone

(88 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 25-May-20 09:24:23

My daughter has arranged for us both to meet up next Sunday for a walk, i am so looking forward to it, just concerned that i might not be able to resist giving her a great big hug. Had a huge lump in my throat when she arranged this with me. smile

MawB Wed 27-May-20 17:38:33

Hawera1 no way was that what your PM had in mind either.
Here in the U.K. we have a further 400+ deaths in the last 24 hours- can anybody say we are on any sort of way out of this crisis?

MawB Wed 27-May-20 17:27:06

Hawera1 Wed 27-May-20 03:27:52
If you've both been in isolation for several weeks I don't see the harm in a hug. What do you think?

I think that to protect another person whom I love and to hopefully prevent taking up an NHS space and perhaps to allow my children and grandchildren to still have a loving gran - I know exactly what harm I see in it and what I would do.

gulligranny Wed 27-May-20 17:22:03

I've been out today to meet my oldest friend, in a park midway between our homes. We took chairs, flasks and biscuits and sat in the shade of a tree enjoying the sight of many young families all out together, keeping their social distance from everyone (as of course did we). Everyone was careful and considerate, and yes we are going to do it again.

dontmindstayinghome Wed 27-May-20 11:02:16

My Mum lives in sheltered accommodation. Her hairdresser, who is a young mum and has been sheltering with her family for over two months, is not allowed back into the building.

At the same time, their cleaner, who also works in a local care home which has had several cases of covid19 resulting in at least five deaths, continues to work there.

Where is the logic in that? Its complete madness.

I know which of the two I would prefer to be close to!

We can not continue to be incarcerated in our own homes forever. In my view its time to venture out into the world again. We must continue to be aware of the risk and take appropriate precautions.

The Govt obviously thinks along the same lines or they wouldn't be easing the lockdown would they?

Speldnan Wed 27-May-20 08:31:09

I think they are about to change the guidelines to enable 2 families to meet so preempting for a week won’t make much difference. 2 families who have been isolating anyway are surely less of a risk than the hoards of journalists all from different families that we’ve seen clustering round Cumming’s house this week.

Lucca Wed 27-May-20 07:36:01

Well reading this thread makes me wonder why I have resisted visiting my family 2 hours away. I can’t believe people saying they are just going ahead and hugging etc.
I’m not going to visit until my DS and DDIL are happy with the idea, I have such respect for the way they have dealt with this lockdown while WFH with two small children

Furret Wed 27-May-20 07:26:16

Yes we all know what these guidelines say. But they do not make scientific sense.

vegansrock Wed 27-May-20 05:30:24

Well,if it’s to help a vulnerable family member it is ok to rely on instinct isn’t it?

Hawera1 Wed 27-May-20 03:27:52

If you've both been in isolation for several weeks I don't see the harm in a hug. What do you think?

Evie64 Tue 26-May-20 22:26:03

I was really naughty yesterday, I went to my daughters with the intention of sitting at the other end of her garden. However, whilst I did that, as I was leaving she burst into tears and said "I've been working at home for the last 8 weeks and have had no contact with anyone". I just had to give her a quick cuddle, and I have to say, it felt great. blush

win Tue 26-May-20 22:09:46

I am with Hetty58 the guide lines are quite clear only meet one to one in a park or open space, not your garden, and no food except if you bring your own including utensils. The second wave will be bigger than the first, the doctors at London hospitals are exhausted and brazing themselves for the next stage. We need to protect them and our loved ones. Stay at home and save lives please.

Lyndylou Tue 26-May-20 21:54:34

Absolutely dontmindstayinghome we have to start making our own risk assessments. My daughter and I came to the same decision independently. We have each stayed in our own homes since mid March, neither of us have spent time with anyone else or been outside our houses apart from daily walks round the block. All shopping has been done by delivery or click and collect and we have doubled up so as not to waste slots.

My DGS is SEN and they are starting to struggle with some of his set school work and so he came here to my house a week ago and we sat in the garden and worked on his Maths. This last weekend (horror!) we sat side by side on the sofa inside the house and worked on his French.

If he went back to school, I would go back to not seeing him. I would love to see my son but he is working so it's a bit riskier so I will be patient a bit longer. We are intelligent people and we now have to work things out for ourselves.

Furret Tue 26-May-20 20:51:15

and polnan ?

Furret Tue 26-May-20 20:49:56

Bizzle that is a dreadful situation to be in at the moment.

Scentia Tue 26-May-20 20:49:52

I have met my DD and DGS three times now. First time I resisted a hug with my DGS but the last two times I have been almost as I was before. The only difference is that we wash hands and face before I touch him and then before I leave him to go home. I was suffering terribly not seeing him and felt this was better for me. I am in no way in the at risk category and don’t know or see anyone who is, neither. In light of recent events with our government I feel that I will just do what I want as long as I don’t put anyone else at risk. I am very upset by some of our people in charge who are telling us what to do then doing what they want?

dontmindstayinghome Tue 26-May-20 20:24:22

NANNAN2

Yes I DO understand the asymptomatic / symptomatic/ pre-symtomatic question.
If you read my post properly the point I was making was that people who have not got the virus and who have clearly NOT had the virus can not pass it on. Even if they had had it unknowingly the contagion period has well passed.

SHOUTY CAPITALS DOES NOT MAKE YOU RIGHT.

The risk is not huge

Seakay Tue 26-May-20 18:37:42

travelsafar I know what you mean - I met with my sister at a halfway point, first time since the first week of March. It felt so weird not to hug, but I had to remember that my enjoyment was not worth possibly killing her for! (We are both vulnerable due to illnesses which less immunity). It was easiest when we were sitting (at different picnic tables in a country park) as when walking it was hard to talk if we had to go single file so it was more tempting to lessen the 2m distancing. As with all things easier to say than do, it's best to try and appreciate what you have rather than regretting what you still don't!

LinDe Tue 26-May-20 17:48:09

I saw my daughter on Sunday (we were good with the social distancing!} as she was moving and we are storing some of her things for her in the mean time. It was so nice to see her in person, but sad not to be able to give her a hug - she works for the NHS and we are self isolating due to age/health. I really miss physically seeing people, and since this all started my anxiety levels (which I had prior to lockdown) have gone up with the lack of people to talk to.

farview Tue 26-May-20 17:25:55

and also bizzle ?

farview Tue 26-May-20 17:23:55

Virtual hug and ?polnan x

Gardenersdelight2 Tue 26-May-20 16:17:20

I met a friend today for social distanced walk and takeaway coffee. Even more excitingly on Friday will see my DD for first time since February for the same (longest time in her life we've not seen each other! ) And as extra bonus have the excuse to go shopping in waitrose which is local to her!!?

Blinko Tue 26-May-20 15:22:21

Polnan and BIzzle flowers and also hugs.

Teddy111 Tue 26-May-20 15:14:41

blzzle and polnan,feeling so sorry for your suffering and hoping things improve for both of you.
Mal44 I agree with what you say, regarding D Cummings.
I would give anything to see my gd. Ex Dil took her away at a year old and broke all contact. No reason given. She is nearly twelve years old,now. In fact,she said when they divorced,she would never stop us seeing her.

janeayressister Tue 26-May-20 14:24:20

Aw Bizzle, I just read your so sad post. There must be organisation ps around you that will help. What about Silverline ? 0800 4 70 80 90 At least there would give you someone to talk to.
Let us know how you got on. Hugs

Speldnan Tue 26-May-20 14:21:12

I went to see my DD and GC 8 and 4 on Sunday. I did hug my DD on arrival and the children throughout, though we spent most of the time in the garden. You have to assess risk: my DD and children have not been to any shops in 6 weeks, they’ve been at home or out for exercise. My SIL does all the shopping and takes stringent precautions. I’ve been to a garden centre this week so I could be a risk to them I suppose but I also am meticulous with hygiene and keeping away from people. For these reasons I felt perfectly risk and guilt free when having contact with them. It will be an entirely different matter when the kids go back to school, which my DD has decided won’t he until Sept.