Gransnet forums

Chat

I had a terrible fall today.

(64 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:21:00

I was standing at the back door at the top of the stairs and I walked down one step to shout into the kitchen window to my parents and when I turned around to go back up to where I had been standing, I fell forwards onto the 'landing', grabbed onto the wall (the stairs have a wall so that you don't fall off the staircase) which then collapsed on top of me. I was lying on the stone landing with a stone wall on top of me when a load of beetles that clearly been living in the wall ran out! I managed to get up and I got into the house as quick as I could. I must have been in shock as I didn't notice my leg was bleeding or I only had one shoe on, all I could think about was that I had left my handbag outside, until my mum removed it from me (I had it cross body). She cleaned me up and then the pain set in. I ended up having to drink hot sweet latte to get a bit of composure. It was so bad, my mother had to help me to shower. I am now worried about what the neighbours will think about the wall collapsing and if any of them seen me scurrying into the house with one shoe on, bleeding. I must have looked like a loony. I must stop rambling, anyway, I hope you are all well. X

FlyingHandbag Wed 27-May-20 11:35:55

Thanks so much all. X

annodomini Wed 27-May-20 11:32:05

Even though I was only at the back door, I still felt very vulnerable.
Only at the back door? Some of the nastiest accidents are domestic ones. Last year, I fell backwards going down a step into my bathroom and bashed my back on the edge of the step. GP diagnosed a cracked rib which took weeks to settle down.
So take a tip from me - don't leave it to chance. If you're in such bad pain, something needs investigating.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 10:40:03

I really think you should do that, Flyinghandbag.
Good luck, hope everything is intact and that you just need to rest.

Toadinthehole Wed 27-May-20 10:35:03

I’ve just read all these posts. Sounds like a nasty fall. I’m guessing you’d have gone straight to hospital in normal circumstances. You still should. If you’ve broken something, it may start to knit together badly, and then it’ll be more difficult to treat. Plus you could have a slow internal bleed. Go to hospital please.

FlyingHandbag Wed 27-May-20 10:19:00

Just woken up. Still in agony, might phone 111 this afternoon. Thankyou all. X

Oopsminty Wed 27-May-20 02:36:09

Hopefully you'll be feeling better today.

Today being Wednesday

I know how shocking a fall can be. I went down when walking through the woods with my DH not long ago

I just fell flat to the ground. DH thought I'd been sniped

welbeck Wed 27-May-20 01:43:38

i suddenly thought of elvis presley's, all shook up.
you take it easy, and glad that yesterday's handbag did not go flying.
please report to the medics tomorrow and give us a full report.
now, by your beds, and , lights out .

dragonfly46 Wed 27-May-20 00:11:20

So sorry to see this. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 23:59:17

Night all, will post tomorrow with how I am. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 23:24:00

Also, how's your foot today heath480? Better, hopefully x

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 22:36:35

I also meant to say that phoenix, you made me laugh with your comment about the bag. It cheered me up!x

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 22:14:49

I know, I am still in agony. Even though I was only at the back door, I still felt very vulnerable. It was one of those falls where you seem to be thrown to the ground at the speed of light and you can't control it like with some falls. It took me by surprise. I am going to see how I am tomorrow and if I am so shaken up and sore, I'll phone 111. X

Evie64 Tue 26-May-20 22:07:36

FH, hope you're feeling better love. Shocking when you have a fall innit? Return to childhood in a flash. I read somewhere recently how to tell if you're young or old. Fall over in the supermarket and everyone laughs = you're young. They rush to help you = you're old! Sad but true......hmm

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 21:12:41

Thanks all. Phoenix I take my handbag everywhere, it's not an actual cross body handbag, it's a top handle handbag with a long strap. I was using the long strap cross body as I thought it would be easier for me as I was tired. X

phoenix Tue 26-May-20 20:12:22

Hope you are feeling a bit better by now, FB but why on earth did you have a cross body handbag on? confused

Elegran Tue 26-May-20 19:55:39

IO misred about wgo oens the house, sorry. You shouldn't sour things with the landlord by telling him that the wall is crumbling. You are doing him/her a favour, letting them know so that they can fix it before there is a serious accident. Get on the phone right away.

ElaineI Tue 26-May-20 19:00:09

I hope you are ok FH. If you are still in pain tomorrow you should get medical advice. Doctors are trying to get people to contact them for things other than Covid and you might need an X ray.
At the very least your parents should mention it to the landlord as maybe the whole wall will come down if unstable and what if a slab had landed on a child.
Sometimes things are clearer in the morning after time to recover from the shock x

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 18:18:16

I don't want to sour things with the landlord as my parents get on great with them and we have mutual friends.

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 18:04:22

Still very sore, I'm going to eat chocolate orange and watch EastEnders from last night. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 17:57:47

Thanks gillybob. It gave me a horrible shock. I am also worried that my neighbour's external wall is the same(semi-detached house), especially since she has small great grandchildren. I seem to be finding out more and more about the fall. I learned that the big slab of stone and plaster that hit me had hit me with such force it halved in two. X

gillybob Tue 26-May-20 17:51:21

Just noticed this thread . I do hope you are okay Flyinghandbag . You must’ve had a real shock . The landlord needs to get the wall repaired not your father . It couldn’t have been very sturdy in the first place for it to fall as easily as it did . Just glad you weren’t seriously hurt . smile

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 17:35:23

I am worried about someone being seriously injured. I would rather I was injured than someone else.

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 17:30:20

X post Marydoll
Slow typist alert

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 17:29:39

Elegran I think FlyingHandbag said that house is privately owned but rented to her parents so it is the landlord's responsibility.

In fact, you could put in a claim for pain and distress or other injuries caused by his/her negligence, FlyingHandbag.
If nothing else, that should hurry along the repairs.

Marydoll Tue 26-May-20 17:26:20

Elegran, at 11.29am, Flyinghandbag stated, My parents are fitter than me. This house is privately owned and rented to my parents., so apparently they don't own it.
? Therefore, the landlord has a duty of care to repair the wall.