Gransnet forums

Chat

Going topless

(150 Posts)
Missfoodlove Tue 26-May-20 19:56:44

We established in a previous thread that hanging out washing is acceptable and not common.
So what about topless men?
My unattractive neighbour a retired teacher thinks it’s fine to wander around topless, in fine weather he goes out shopping, gardens at the front of the house and generally parades around the neighbourhood without a shirt.
I think it’s really uncouth, unless by a swimming pool the sea or a private garden it shouldn’t be allowed.
Your thoughts please.

BlueSky Tue 26-May-20 21:56:14

Missfoodlove thought you were asking is it OK for us ladies 'over 50' to go topless, in our own back garden or the beach....

EllanVannin Tue 26-May-20 22:11:55

Shirtless is for the young, though not in shops.

Otherwise stay in the garden.

It's not always the ones with decent bodies that go bare either, no pride !

EllanVannin Tue 26-May-20 22:17:16

There's a postie in the area who wears shorts----long shorts and his legs look like a pair of pipe-cleaners. I have to look the other way in case a smile turns out to be hysterics.

grumppa Tue 26-May-20 22:20:51

I take immense pride in my body, and the fact that in the current lockdown the white hair on my head is linking up with the grizzled hair on my back, but I wouldn’t dream of inflicting the sight of it on anyone else, except on a deserted beach. Exception made, of course, for MissAdventure.

MissAdventure Tue 26-May-20 22:43:51

smile
How very nice of you, grumppa.

I'm touched.

Jane10 Wed 27-May-20 09:47:30

Ooh no. I don't want to see that at all except at a swimming pool. Mind you, at the first burst of sun you see some pretty awful female sights too. Some ill advised choices of 'sun tops' and mini dresses that may once have fitted. I could go on...

MissAdventure Wed 27-May-20 09:48:23

Sounds like the contents of my wardrobe, smile

sodapop Wed 27-May-20 09:51:07

On the beach or in your own garden is fine but not anywhere else. The same thing applies to women exposing unnecessary amounts of flesh. Why is it the amount of flesh exposed is disproportionate to attractiveness.

timetogo2016 Wed 27-May-20 09:52:15

Topless men should not go shopping,they put me off meat for a start.
But in their own back garden is fine.

MissAdventure Wed 27-May-20 09:52:55

grin

Joesoap Wed 27-May-20 09:55:28

I was saying to my Husband the other day,why is it as soon as the sun comes out mens shirts come off, usually revealing a big tummy, nothing to show off about.Its acceptable in their own garden, but definately nowhere else except om a beach of course,then there are some sights to see, good and bad.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-May-20 09:56:28

No don’t like to see it, keep it to beaches back gardens etc

Jimbow15 Wed 27-May-20 09:56:31

Well they can be a sight for sore eyes. But that is life and there is no law against it.
We are constantly bombarded with Naked and Topless women in ads on the Internet and Newspapers. That really is the limit sometimes

sarahellenwhitney Wed 27-May-20 10:00:17

Depends and as long as they 'have it' grin whatever the age then no' bring it on' but there is a time and place and doing your shopping is not the place

SueLindsey Wed 27-May-20 10:00:38

I used to work in a library and still remember a rather overweight man showing off his sunburned topless body running with sweat and dripping on the counter. Yucky!!

MRGUDER Wed 27-May-20 10:03:27

Years ago when on holiday I remember going to a beach where the ladies could go topless and I actually found myself looking at those who kept their top on!! Funny old race aren't we.

Cindersdad Wed 27-May-20 10:04:35

In my younger days I used to go nude in appropriate places and still think that it should be a matter of personal choice to wear as mch or as little as you like. I agree that some bodies are unattractive in whichcase you just look away. I know I'm not as fit as I once was and would not now do what I used.

Going nude on a beach does make you more body conscious and more inclined to try to look good naked, that in turn means that you are more liekly to be healthy.

Oldwoman70 Wed 27-May-20 10:04:51

In the garden is fine - in the supermarket not. My DH was a builder but only on rare occasions did he remove his shirt whilst working - in fact I have had female clients telling me how disappointed they were that he didn't!

Aepgirl Wed 27-May-20 10:07:16

I wonder if it would be acceptable if he was fit and handsome.

Beanie654321 Wed 27-May-20 10:08:52

Dear Missfoodlove dont look. I feel we dont have the right to dictate what others do as long as they are doing no harm. There are far more important things in life than men going topless. Eyes closed and carry on I say. If hes happy and not hurting anyone leave him be. As regards washing, yes I put it out minus the undergarments, they're dried in house. My choice, if people dont like it they can close their eyes, I worked hard to pay for my property so what I do on it is my choice. Sorry. Xxx

Lucy127 Wed 27-May-20 10:09:56

Oh dear, when I read “ I take immense pride in my body, and the fact that in the current lockdown the white hair on my head is linking up with the grizzled hair on my back,...” got quite a shock picturing this lady. Until I realised maybe it’s not just grans. Doh!

Annaram1 Wed 27-May-20 10:11:24

That David Gandy is hot!!! I don't mind sweat free men being topless, as long as they are toned like David Gandy, and have little body hair either front or back. As for legs... I don't mind men wearing shorts if they have good muscular and preferably tanned legs - they have to start somewhere. Their wives/partners should advise them.

henetha Wed 27-May-20 10:14:06

Live and let live. It seems harmless to me. Apart from shops where I agree a shirt should be worn, it's fine by me.

Mollygo Wed 27-May-20 10:15:40

In the garden, no problem. Outside, I don’t look unless they’re really fit.
Shopping probably not, although when we’re near a beach on holiday, it seems that anything goes.
I’ve never been in a restaurant where someone was wanting to eat without a top on but I’d find it off putting.

Paperbackwriter Wed 27-May-20 10:17:01

I do think men walking around topless are most unappealing and it looks ridiculous in a town. Down in Cornwall in summer there are signs up at the supermarket asking people to be dressed when entering the store. I used to be amazed that people needed to be told till I saw an entire family in swimwear trying to get into Tescos. A man thinking it's Ok to go shopping in budgie smugglers - no it absolutely ISN'T Ok.