Gransnet forums

Chat

Going topless

(150 Posts)
Missfoodlove Tue 26-May-20 19:56:44

We established in a previous thread that hanging out washing is acceptable and not common.
So what about topless men?
My unattractive neighbour a retired teacher thinks it’s fine to wander around topless, in fine weather he goes out shopping, gardens at the front of the house and generally parades around the neighbourhood without a shirt.
I think it’s really uncouth, unless by a swimming pool the sea or a private garden it shouldn’t be allowed.
Your thoughts please.

Alishka Sat 30-May-20 16:22:45

I lived for many years on the coast in Central Italy and every summer we were invaded by,mainly, German an English tourists, all shapes and sizes.
And why not? Is it only the toned, usually young, person who can benefit from feeling the sun on their skin?
My question is tho.....shoes and socks ?
Just....WHY?
Seemed to be a weird English trait.

Purplepoppies Thu 28-May-20 23:18:16

Each to their own I say. We don't have to look do we?
Exceptions are definitely shops and restaurants. Everyone should be wearing tops and footwear (no bare feet).

Crispy64 Thu 28-May-20 05:36:16

My neighbour mows his lawn wearing only budgie smugglers

maddyone Wed 27-May-20 23:17:50

Ha ha phoenix it was Borat, you’re right! I wonder what made me think it was Boris grin

Phoebes Wed 27-May-20 23:03:17

Was it O
K for Aidan Turner to take his top off in Poldark?

BlueSky Wed 27-May-20 22:29:53

Were they really wearing mankinis like Borat? We need a good laugh! grin

H1954 Wed 27-May-20 22:11:40

Some years ago whilst touring France I stayed on a campsite that was very popular with British tourists. There was a large supermarket close by and of course many of us would visit for food shopping. A number of British men thought it acceptable to go into the supermarket wearing no shirts. Security were having none of it; and quite rightly so too! Who wants to see hairy armpits etc when shopping for groceries? Another gripe of mine is the wearing of baseball caps indoors! WHY?

Nannytrace Wed 27-May-20 19:57:24

I did try hard to be outraged on your behalf JuliaM and I’m sure in real life it was awful, but reading your post back made me laugh. I don’t mean to be disrespectful to anyone but the pictures conjured up and the reactions have been so amusing. - a bit of light relief. This has been a tonic of a thread and really has made me smile after a hard day key working. Thank you everyone.

Redhead56 Wed 27-May-20 19:53:39

An attractive man with a hairy chest oh yes please If I was younger but now no thanks. I met an old neighbour and asked about his family his two children grew up with mine. He complained that his son has moved back in and he isn't very happy. I said why he said I like to walk around the house nude I can't now. I thought no wonder his wife still works full time in her late sixties.

Sussexborn Wed 27-May-20 19:39:19

One of the doctors I worked for sent a patient home to get dressed! Youngish man, who looked as if he was nine months pregnant, turned up for an appointment wearing a string vest and swim shorts. We were surprised when he came back fully dressed!

phoenix Wed 27-May-20 19:34:51

I think you might mean Borat, Maddyone?

"budgie smugglers" usually refers to Speedo type swimming trunks ( I think? blushconfused

GagaJo Wed 27-May-20 19:13:58

God forbid. He had proper swim shorts as well.

BlueSky Wed 27-May-20 19:10:54

GagaJo so he had to go on the beach naked? shock

GagaJo Wed 27-May-20 18:31:54

My bloke was partial to budgie smugglers. Last time we went on hol, I saw them in his suitcase and took a pair of scissors to them.

Candy6 Wed 27-May-20 18:24:42

I dislike it. No problem on the beach/back garden but anywhere else is totally off limits. We were once going to buy a holiday home somewhere where we’d been a number of times in the past. Just before completion, I suggested to my husband that we should visit on a busy Saturday. We walked down the Main Street and I saw a man walk into the local fish & chip shop topless. That was it, I was done and we pulled out of the sale. Didn’t seem like my type of place.

debgaga Wed 27-May-20 18:03:26

What are budgie smugglers ? Who has a budgie these days ?My granddad had one called Dicky and he was quite animated.

Nanna58 Wed 27-May-20 18:02:40

The small supermarket where we shop on holiday in Grenada has a sign that says “ No baring of the feet’s or half naked persons!” I smile, no matter how many times a I Visit!

MissAdventure Wed 27-May-20 17:39:12

grin

LadyGracie Wed 27-May-20 17:38:52

I think it’s up to them, I wouldn’t look unless he was sleek and hairy.

MissAdventure Wed 27-May-20 17:25:59

I only ever saw my dad in his vest once, and that was because he was very poorly.

tricia12 Wed 27-May-20 17:21:00

LUKE PASQUELINE no top on .........heaven .

Jess20 Wed 27-May-20 17:19:52

Can't see any reason for people of any gender to cover up any part of themselves except for safety and their personal preference for the aesthetics. Personally don't like seeing too much flesh of any kind but that's my preference and I don't have to look, but if they wish to wander round Tescos and pick blackberries stark naked they should have the freedom to do so.

maddyone Wed 27-May-20 15:37:02

JuliaM
The very word mankini reminds me of Boris, and I’m not thinking of the Prime Minister! Remember Boris in the film, Sasha Cohen I think his name was. I loved all his films. Probably my childish sense of humour.

Jillybird Wed 27-May-20 15:33:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maddyone Wed 27-May-20 15:33:24

Ha ha Gaga I’m pretty sure no one would want to see mine either, not these days at any rate.

Seriously, I don’t like seeing men in shops or on the street topless. Gardens, beaches, etc it’s fine. I also only look with interest when I’m on the beach, if the topless man is worth looking at. I no longer go topless on the beach myself, those days are long gone. A one piece swimsuit is my beach wear these days.