Gransnet forums

Chat

Are people no longer able to take responsibility for their own safety?

(75 Posts)
Grandmabeach Wed 27-May-20 12:12:06

People are crowding onto the beaches which clearly have signs saying 'No lifeguard' on duty. Sadly there have been a few people drowned. A visitor to one of the beaches was saying on our local TV last night that it was not good enough. Why were there no lifeguards on duty? If there are signs warning people that there are no lifeguards can they not take extra care in the water? Have they not thought how lifeguards can do their job without being able to contact people or give mouth-to-mouth?

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 17:38:57

I was thinking of watching them wistfully from the window then swapping places with DH.

It does sound illogical.

PamelaJ1 Thu 28-May-20 17:41:08

Jan16, yes I’ve just read about the Scolt Head rescue. The wardens had already cleared the barrier island.

Maybe it was the group from Burnham Market who got Fed ex to deliver their luggage!

GreenGran78 Thu 28-May-20 20:15:12

In spite of the many drownings in Morecambe Bay, including the much publicised deaths of 21 Chinese cockle-pickers, people still ignore the many warning signs. If they are lucky they get rescued.
The tide gallops in, filling many gullies with fast-flowing water, and it is one of the most dangerous beaches in Britain

Peardrop50 Thu 28-May-20 21:21:28

My son is a volunteer with the RNLI. I am incredibly proud of him but also feel annoyed when he and his fellow crew risk their lives to save idiots, now I am more fearful than ever because the next rescued idiot may be a covidiot sharing their lifeboat. Luckily Welsh beaches are very quiet at the moment but I dread the opening up of beaches this year if England is anything to go by.
I know they're not our beaches and I love to hear the sound of shrieking children enjoying them but in the current crisis I wish people would stay out of the sea.

Shizam Thu 28-May-20 23:22:09

The RNLI, back in the day, did charge for a sea rescue as I remember my stubborn uncle refusing to take their tow when his boat broke down in a yacht race. Can’t remember how he got home. Probably paddled. He was a proficient sailor, ex navy, etc. Just wouldn’t spend. Maybe he’s the reason they no longer charge?! ?

pinkquartz Thu 28-May-20 23:26:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkquartz Thu 28-May-20 23:45:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 15:21:01

Peardrop someone had to be rescued yesterday at Weston, he had walked out to try to find the sea, apparently. It did cross my mind that he could have been trying to take a shortcut to Wales.

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 18:09:06

Why would he want to come to Wales? We are locked down for another three weeks. ?
This is meant be amusing.

OceanMama Sat 30-May-20 07:32:13

People need to be taught basic things like checking the tides before going on a coastal walk as children. My parents taught me, I have taught my children. I frequently head for the mountains and carry all my own safety gear. I haven't had a problem yet but, in spite of all the preparation, things can still happen that require rescue. Then I carry the equipment I need to call for rescue if there is no phone reception. I would be willing to pay an insurance premium to cover the costs of any rescue I could potentially need in future. The problem is that many won't take out that kind of insurance and I'd hate to discourage people from calling for help to avoid a charge (with possible adverse consequences). I am grateful for the availability of all rescue services, especially the large number of volunteers among them.

Callistemon Sat 30-May-20 09:48:30

Rosalyn I know Wales is still locked down but a lot of people escaped and went over to England, Weston being one of the places.

I didn't know this was supposed to be amusing, I must have missed the point !

Rosalyn69 Sat 30-May-20 16:40:13

My comment was tongue in cheek. I didn’t think it was funny. It’s not a laughing matter. I’m sorry if it came over poorly.

Callistemon Sat 30-May-20 16:43:48

I see.

Well, it's not but he was very stupid and put others at risk by his actions.

Fennel Sun 31-May-20 15:05:20

I grew up in a NE coastal town and we used to swim in all weathers, but we'd had the dangers drummed into us. Tides, currents etc. Only a small part of the beach is safe for swimming. Mum had a friend who had drowned there.
Going back to payment - when we were in France husband went skiing often, we were near the Pyrenees. He had to pay for an insurance policy before going on the slopes. Just as well because he broke his leg one day and had to be rescued and hospitalised.
We were sent a huge bill but it was all covered by this insurance.
Their state health insurance doesn't cover all accidents,

pinkquartz Mon 01-Jun-20 12:00:45

Paperbackwriter

the weekend news re Lulworth Cove shows WHO is being entitled and it's not me.
Can you wonder anymore why locals dread many of the "visitors"
Behaviour at the weekend was extreme but did illustrate some of what i was talking about.
Your comment of me being entitled was just ignorant as I am anything but.

Also did you know that those of us living near the sea pay for the beaches to be kept hygenic by the Water companies?
Our Water bills are eye watering high. Ditto Council Tax and Food prices.

Nightsky2 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:22:14

Callistemon. The virus was passed on by workers at Weston General Hospital. Several of them tested positive but showing no symptoms.

Sussexborn Mon 01-Jun-20 12:36:17

There was a picture in the local paper from my home town, of a young lad standing right at the edge of a cliff top by a sign saying “Danger cliff erosion”.

Being brought up on the coast you are taught to have huge respect for any body of water which doesn’t seem to happen now. Common sense is not encouraged and “they” are supposed to be responsible for our well being and safety.

Callistemon Mon 01-Jun-20 16:32:17

I hope they can get on top of it soon, Nightsky.

However, the hordes of visitors may well bring the virus in to these seaside towns unwittingly.
Having the hospital closed means people have further to travel if they need treatment in the meantime.

Doodledog Mon 01-Jun-20 17:11:49

Wow! This is a turnaround from all those posts asking 'what people didn't get about X Y or Z . . .' and expecting everyone to behave exactly as the poster felt they should.

All of a sudden, now that we are supposed to stay alert, instead of stay indoors, people should use common sense or take responsibility. I'll say one thing for this government - useless as they have been in saving and protecting lives throughout this crisis they have been so good at manipulating their message.

The flip side of 'taking responsibility' is that if something bad happens you (or we, or I) are responsible. Not the government, who did not start lockdown when it was warned to, who discharged people out of hospital into care homes, without testing them for Covid, who did not attend COBRA meetings, who did not stock up on PPE, even when it was clear that the virus was coming, who advised against masks, who understaffed the NHS for years, who have eased the lockdown far too early, particularly for those in the north where the R rate is still high, and so on.

The responsibility is not with the government, but with individuals who went to the beach.

etheltbags1 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:41:27

Why do people need to go into the sea. Is it not enough to sit or play on the beach getting the fresh air. Virus or not there are always idiots who get into trouble in the water

Fennel Tue 02-Jun-20 12:27:00

ethel good to see you back!
I think you're in the NE too - didn't you ever go out to the coast on a hot day? Agreed not many hot days when we were children. But when you're young the sea is irresistable.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 12:29:53

Oh yes, etheltbags, I always have to have a paddle if not a swim! Except at the nearest coastal areas to us where it looks a bit uck.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 02-Jun-20 13:32:24

We had seaside holidays when I was little, but we were always warned by our parents (neither of whom was brought up by the sea either) about the dangers of currents and swimming when the tide was going out. We were never allowed lilos either. I don't feel that I had a deprived childhood!

etheltbags1 Sun 07-Jun-20 20:41:04

*fennel. I have no probs with people going into the sea but simply while we are in the middle of this virus maybe the could stay away