Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Fri 29-May-20 06:09:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Again another bright sunny start to the day here in Brackley this morning.
Usual Friday shop ,although the queing is getting less ,and signs of panic buying of roughly 2 months back has disappeared.
After that TV , lunch, more TV ,kip for an hour , then usual routine .
Take Care ,
Mick

gillgran Fri 29-May-20 09:42:51

Hymnbook, Happy Birthday. flowers 4years, since I was 70.
I'm so slow typing a post, I miss a lot, sometimes you are all on the next page..!!!

gillgran Fri 29-May-20 09:44:12

& you were....!!!!smile

Sar53 Fri 29-May-20 09:51:18

Good morning everyone from a sunny but very windy Essex by the sea. The last couple of days the wind blowing in off the sea has been quite chilly.
DH is on a training call with work, those working from home have to 'attend' 2 or 3 times a week. I'm just finishing off some ironing. I bought 3 summer dresses in an online sale and I'm very pleased with them, they just need pressing.
Happy birthday Hymnbook, have the best day you can.
Bluesapphire you are doing great, every little step is a step in the right direction. I too know from experience but keep on carrying on as my 89 year old neighbour loves to say.
A walk later will be on the cards, not much else planned.
As my daughters live 50 and 120 miles away I won't be seeing them anytime soon, that makes me sad.
Have a lovely day and stay safe everyone xx

whywhywhy Fri 29-May-20 09:51:24

Good morning from a sunny market Harborough. More packing and then moving day should be here once I’m given the go ahead. Not long now - I hope.

Stay safe and sane. Lots of love to you all. X

Lins1066 Fri 29-May-20 09:51:43

Thanks to dragonfly,corner and gilly, much appreciated.xx

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-May-20 09:52:46

Good morning Mick and all x

Beautiful blue sky, sunny and warm ?

I have got another throat infection, it started slowly yesterday and by 6.30pm I felt dreadful and went to bed. Still painful this morning not sure whether to call GP or wait and see if it clears up on its own.

Grandmattie a beautiful quilt

BlueSaphire just take one day at a time.

Keep safe and well folks ?

BladeAnnie Fri 29-May-20 09:53:54

Happy birthday Hymnbook x cupcake

Urmstongran Fri 29-May-20 09:56:03

I don’t recall you saying where you’re off to whywhywhy? Is it far or just a local move? Bet you’re glad the packing up is almost done now!

SusieB50 Fri 29-May-20 09:56:04

Good morning from East London to all . Good news that we can meet up with 6 people now outside . I have been invited for a G&T this evening to my friends garden ,not wasting any time here !
The poor dead fox is still waiting to be collected . It’s now in a tight fitting lidded bin but still an awful smell . So much for the council’s 24 hour collection .I have written a complaint on line .
DiL birthday today and DS “booked “a place at West Wittering . Apparently they are only allowing a certain number in each day . They were leaving at 6 am , about a two hour drive . Twin DGC very excited !
GrandmaFrench what a day of calamities !
Thinking of all those shielding who still are in lock down, my Sis in law is really down , she is in a great deal of pain too from her RA , and doesn’t seem to be able to get hold of her nurse at the hospital .

dragonfly46 Fri 29-May-20 09:58:46

Happy Birthday Hymbook.

I feel worse now that lockdown is beginning to lift for most of you as some of us will be stuck at home for the foreseeable future.

EllanVannin Fri 29-May-20 09:59:51

Good Morning All x.
Another hot sunny day in store and I won't be going out of the door.grin Not being a misery but because there were a few things I wanted to do yesterday I was way-laid from every angle.

First off a lovely start to the day after a call from Oz---for an hour, then a trip to the local shops, then after that a neighbour nailed me for another hour. Did some cleaning, flicking round and as I mopped the step another neighbour stopped to talk and so it went on until lunchtime.

By then, my neighbour who's just lost her son shouted me from her window to ask if some of her washing could go on my line, then we began chatting. She'd slipped in the bath the other night and bruised her back.

Later as I put the bins out yet another neighbour stood and told me all her troubles and would you believe by then it was nearly tea-time----switched on the computer and the bloomin' pointer had " stuck " so I had to force the comp. to pause and wait for it to right itself.

Not that I mind about speaking to anyone but it always seems to happen when you have something in mind to do, but never mind the day was gone like a shot and I had the Marigold to look forward to. Forgot to add, I was nailed again when I put the bins out grin

I didn't get the chance to catch up with anyone here yesterday so I hope all is well with you all.
I note that Grandmafrench had fun and games, Spencer wouldn't be your surname would it ? As in Frank Spencer ?

I'll have to get the foot bowl out and sit and soak my feet as the right one is pretty swollen now so I'll have to wear my slippers. Left one's not too bad. What a nuisance. It's only the feet and not the ankles thank goodness.

It's looking as though I could see the twins on their Birthdays on the 5th, unless my D will be taking them out for a run, but nevertheless the possibility is there with this lifting. I hope so, it'll make my day.

Salmon salad today, no cooking, yippee.

Sounds as though your dad's keeping well Gillybob, x good for him. It's one less worry for you. Not much wrong when you look ten years younger !

I was thinking of Gillybob when the news about the dentist crisis was/is on. So many people with problems and nobody has been available to solve them. Everything has just come to a standstill and in this area it's not been acceptable at all.

Not showered or breakfasted yet so I must get cracking. I hope everyone enjoys this glorious weather whatever you do, just stay safe and you'll be fine. xx

SusieB50 Fri 29-May-20 10:02:18

Happy birthday Hymnbook sorry you will be alone . I was lucky just to squeeze in my 70th before lockdown ! I hope you have lots of phone calls and cards ?

Kalu Fri 29-May-20 10:06:07

Yes Urmstrongran it is a man’s name but the post I read was in a very similar style to Gabriella. It seems a few of us got it wrong if Gabriel56 is denying this and my apologies to her/him thinking it was a previous poster.

QuaintIrene Fri 29-May-20 10:20:37

Good morning everyone from sunny West Yorkshire.
Won’t bore, but I am feeling better at last. The wonders of medication. I feel very lucky.
Big cat has been my joy and comfort. I took a photo of her this morning but she won’t cooperate and looks away.
Happy Birthday Hymnbook ???
Thoughts to all x especially those who are ill or troubled ?

Mollygo Fri 29-May-20 10:21:46

Morning all from sunny Lancashire. Sleeping with the windows open means the birds wake me early so it’s been a busy morning.
Happy Birthday Hymnbook.

Grammaretto Fri 29-May-20 10:27:34

Good morning from the Scottish Borders. I have been up for hours but had to enjoy breakfast in the garden. 21 degrees already which is unusual for May. I am grateful to the weather while we have been in lock-down, it has been wonderful.

Not much change for us but the new "rules" do mean others may be able to visit at a distance as long as they bring their own food, don't use the loo and stay outside. grin

DH is chatting to his mum on facetime. I never thought I'd see the day.

My calamity in the garden yesterday was clipping away at a big bush and finding a blackbird's nest with eggs in it! I hope I haven't scared the adults off.

Happy birthday Hymnbook I hope you can celebrate with some of what you like.

Best of wishes to Marydoll, Harrigran, Gillybob, Dragonfly and any others who are struggling today

Beechnut Fri 29-May-20 11:09:48

Happy Birthday Hymnbook ?? have a lovely day.

Happy Birthday to MrL

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-May-20 11:13:17

Happy Birthday Hymnbook ??

I have had a shower, gave myself a good talking to and feel more positive.

DD and the GC are moving back to their home today, I am pleased for them, but I will miss them dreadfully. I have the baby on my bed each morning for cuddles whilst DD gets showered and sorts out GC. At least with lockdown easing they can come round when they want now. GC is so excited about returning to school and tells us frequently that he know all about social distancing I truly wish at five years old he did not have to know!!!

Urmstongan is it wine and steak tonight or are you going out for dinner?

Keep,well and safe folks ?

CherryCezzy Fri 29-May-20 11:25:29

Good morning everyone. Clear blue sky and a lovely breeze here in the Gower.

Lins, say happy birthday to MrLins from me ?.

A happy birthday to you Hymnbook, sorry to hear you are on your own for it but have as good a day as you can ???.

Ouch Grandmafrench and Marydoll. Sounds like you had somewhat of a farcical day Grandmafrench, horrible but farcical. That sounds like a nasty gash you got there Marydoll. ?? for you both.
I'm a clumsy oaf at the best of times, I'm always banging myself and one of my tricks is frequently getting clothing caught on door handles ?.

I know just what you mean dragonfly. I'm happy that some restrictions have been lifted for many but I do feel that us shielding lot are being left behind on the back burner. I understand the thinking behind it but from a mental health perspective it is getting more and more difficult. It's lovely to hear other peoples' plans and the happiness it is bringing, 23rd June seems such a long time away that's all. I truly hope it's not extended.

gillybob, it doesn't appear like you've received your letter yet - hope it comes soon and bares fruit. Sounds like your father had a nice birthday ?.

My "interview" covering my personal history "living with epilepsy" was both interesting and strangely enjoyable yesterday. It was meant to last approximately 45 minutes but it lasted 2 hours ?. It'll be a couple of weeks before I receive the transcript for my approval or/and amendment. It'll be interesting to see it in print.

Look after yourselves everyone ❤️

Lins1066 Fri 29-May-20 12:11:40

Thanks CherryCezzy and a very Happy Birthday to Hymnbook ??

Grandmafrench Fri 29-May-20 12:27:00

I'm back again (sorry!). It's just that the atmosphere on here is so optimistic, it's infectious. (Maybe not the best word to use these days.) I can't see my family because we're in another country and there is stuff to sort out, but I am beyond pleased for all the sad and frustrated Grans on here. More so for those who will still be shielding, but as Cherry said, it's not going to be too long now and all you Shieldy types will at least have the opportunity to view -from comparative safety - whether this is going to work.....or whether this will be a step too soon. Fingers crossed !

So...Happy Malbec Mr Lins and many happy and healthy returns. Happy Birthday to you Hymnbook and keep safe.

I have had a happy and uneventful morning with a clean bill of health from my Eye Doctor, just stronger lenses needed.

Marydoll What a good idea, I quite like GranCalamity, but think I will hold off and try to be more careful. You may laugh at my appalling day, but you're not a lot better. Why are you larking about near trees and bushes with painful limbs? Start taking much more care and keep well away from Peppa Pig plasters...your DH is obviously an optimist?!

The best thing about your posts is the language. Today's special being "getting into a right fankle". You do make me laugh. I may start keeping a list of phrases which are so descriptive but mean nothing to a lot of us on here, I'm sure.

gillgran don't you just hate it when that happens grin

susieB So sad about your little fox and the trouble you are having. I once had a similar "let down" in a massive heatwave with collection of a much loved sheep. In the end, we broke the law and buried her ourselves.

Don't be too sad, dragonfly your day will definitely come. You've been so patient, try to stay the course for the final few furlongs. Then you can go mad!!!!

kitty a regular Thursday drink with the neighbours. What a lovely idea that something good should come out of so much horror. Hoping she recovers soon, cornergran, you're a very good friend and cat feeding will be more than enough - I know how grateful I'd be for such thoughtfulness. Hope that your little tabby comes back as good as new Puzzler.

Nortstat Have a fantastic celebration - and drink to the next 6 happier and healthier years. Onwards and upwards Blue, you'll keep going forwards just a small step at a time.

Kalu Oh I'd love a Sister, but not a calamity person. As a normally careful type, I need to hope I'm not morphing into something more reckless! Scorpions? Tiny ones were once spotted underneath my bed in Greece....that was an eye opener, they'd better not turn up here.

So glad you're better QuaintIrene. Ellan, you're right. Yesterday I could easily have been Frank Spencer. Today, not so much. Your poor foot is presumably swollen due to all that jolly chatting whilst standing yesterday? Hope you can actually make time to put up your feet, properly up, for a couple of hours. That should make a difference. The heat won't help, of course. But then, what does Frank know - his feet would still be in the water when he raised them above the level of his heart!!!!

gilly Wow! A bit dangerous? Hope it can be fixed.
"The new rules do mean that others may be able to visit at a distance as long as they bring their own food, don't use the loo and stay outside". Love that, Grammaretto seems you're unlikely to win the Hostess with the Mostest award, then grin.

It's heartwarming to hear so many happy plans. Still keep safe, though, and have the best day in such a long time. Hugs from France x

Marydoll Fri 29-May-20 14:40:02

Grandmafrench, initially I thought you were praising my literary and lingusitic expertise! grin.

Fankle is right up there with scunnered. ?

Fankle v. to tangle, mix up; to become tangled; (formerly to trap, ensnare) n. a tangle, muddle.
It covers all manner of things.
DS is complaining that my four year old, well spoken DGD's conversation is peppered with all these old Scottish words. wink.
They know exactly where she has heard them! Her daddy's favourite is footering, it's mine too. smile

Grandmafrench Fri 29-May-20 14:55:23

I am/was - both. Of course I can look them up but seeing them used is quite magical and so entertaining. Are they generally Scottish or just Glaswegian words and did the kids at school where you taught use them? Make sure you keep up your subversive teachings with your little DGD - you mustn't let such language die out!

Marydoll Fri 29-May-20 15:16:48

They are Scottish words, rather than Glaswegian. My mother came from nearer the East coast and used them frequently.

I love language, even studied Old English, as part of my degree.
The pupils in my class once made a spoof video of me teaching. It was hilarious, the whole script was interspersed with those words, delivered in a posh Glasgow accent.
My ribs hurt, I laughed so much!

CherryCezzy Fri 29-May-20 15:39:45

Snap Marydoll, both on the love of language and studying Old English.
I'd love to see that video ?