Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you turn your clothes inside out before washing

(128 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 29-May-20 12:11:25

I don’t do this, but I do hang items on the line inside out especially if dark colours or have motifs on, while it’s warmer weather as don’t want them to fade, one friend washes everything inside out before puts in washing machine, but surely they get washed correctly anyway whether inside out or not,

Tweedle24 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:00:58

H1954 I sent duvet covers out to be ironed when I was looking after poorly husband. They came back with the plastic poppers flattened so no longer useable. I keep meaning to replace them with a zip or Velcro but, I never seem to get around to it. There are always more important things to do like gardening or reading.

annodomini Sun 31-May-20 16:17:19

H1954. I thought everyone did that!

H1954 Sun 31-May-20 15:32:28

Jellybettles; have you tried fastening the buttons/poppers? It stops all the smaller bits of washing getting inside the duvet covers! ?

DanniRae Sun 31-May-20 12:21:44

I am a bung it in and hope for the best merchant grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-May-20 12:07:19

That’s interesting, JackyB. I changed from liquid back to powder as my machine was starting to smell. I tried all sorts before that, but going back to powder fixed it. I’ve only ever had trouble with marks on washing when I used capsules, that seemed to get stuck.

grannylyn65 Sun 31-May-20 12:03:34

Lts = life’s too short

JackyB Sun 31-May-20 12:00:33

Not exactly off topic, Nanny27. I tried using powder to save on plastic, but I ruined so many clothes with white blotches that I had to return to liquids. It might have been better if I'd turned more of them inside out but some of the white stains went right through the material. It's those white stains that are the reason I turn stuff inside out to wash, but sometimes I forget.

Nanny27 Sun 31-May-20 11:05:03

Sorry, that was a bit off topic.

Nanny27 Sun 31-May-20 11:03:01

I used to use liquid or washing but reverted to powder as it comes in a cardboard box and I try very hard not to buy plastic unless it really is unavoidable.

Cindersdad Sun 31-May-20 08:54:52

I generally do not but I should because clothes last longer and most of the "muck" comes from sweat and dead skin!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 31-May-20 07:49:38

I only turn things inside out if it either says to do so on the label or it's a knitwear item which is likely to go bobbly otherwise. It would be too much of a faff and I incline towards the lazy option if I can get away with it. Why make life difficult?

Loislovesstewie Sun 31-May-20 05:31:17

I don't turn anything inside out , neither am I fussy about how it goes on the line . But I do give lots of items a quick turn in the tumble drier even if dry as it gets rid of creases . I don't iron loads of things (like t shirts ) and that seems to do the trick. My washing machine also gives the load a blast of steam and that seems to get rid of wrinkles.

newnanny Sat 30-May-20 23:25:07

I always turn woollen clothing inside out to prevent pilling and tops with motifs on to prevent fading.

weeducky Sat 30-May-20 22:48:19

I always wash jeans and trousers inside out plus all woolens (yes I even wash cashmere on wool cycle!) As for hanging on line, my Mum always said 'hang tops from bottom and bottoms from top and I always do what my Mum said!

Jellybeetles Sat 30-May-20 22:24:12

If you wash duvet sets inside out, when turn them back out, all the odd socks, etc. fall out.

instagran Sat 30-May-20 20:39:29

The only things I turned inside out were best jeans and sweaters.

I've always hated ironing, mainly since one week when there were 27 items of shirts and starched waistcoats to do.
One labour saving system I've developed is to carefully fold everything as I take it out of the
machine and leave it in a pile for a few hours before hanging up either outside or indoors on an airer. Most things dry looking as if they've just been ironed.
Washing up:. my mother used Persil also green Fairy soap which was swished about in hot water, contained in a wire cage with a wire handle. The water then looked all horrid and cloudy, and I was mercifully spared from taking part in the ensuing operations!

JMarion Sat 30-May-20 18:25:00

Welbck - I remember it too, We always had Omo on the kitchen shelf too. My memories are like yours too although mine tells me I have done something and then find I haven't!

there is always some left over detergenty water left in the bottom f washing machines but the worst thing is the conditioner thats put in at the end of a wash to soften towels etc. That is the stuff that clings to the drum and makes it slimy and smelly. Much better to just give washing an extra rinse after the end of the programme. It helps get rid of the excess detergent etc, and makes things softer too!

jerseygirl Sat 30-May-20 18:23:58

only anything denim to prevent those awful fade marks and i hang them on the line inside out too

Sawsage2 Sat 30-May-20 17:30:35

No shock

Dollydinkum Sat 30-May-20 17:29:45

I wash small items and delicate items in a wash mesh bag. Zip / fasten items and turn inside out to avoid snagging. Some things inside out, some normal way - depends on fabric etc
I have some Lakeland hook ups clipped on the line if drying things on a coat hanger- they do work well - the hanger hook slips through the hole on the hook up.
I hang clothes top from the bottom and bottom from the top pegged on the line. Sally on Coronation Street once told Tim (her onscreen husband) that was the right way to do it - and Sally is always right grin

Tweedle24 Sat 30-May-20 17:04:16

H1954 I don’t think it is dirty marks but, marks where the peg has pressed into the fabric

CBBL Sat 30-May-20 16:52:53

Yes, I wash most things inside out! It prevents fading with darker things, pilling on susceptible fabrics, and I iron most things inside out as well!

H1954 Sat 30-May-20 16:49:11

I'm also puzzled as to why pegging out would leave a dirty mark on clothes, don't people wipe the washing line these days?

H1954 Sat 30-May-20 16:47:26

Jeans........rarely
Tee shirts..........only our best ones t stop them pillng
Knitwear.........always, again to stop them pilling
Undies..........never, what's the point
Duvet covers.........always, washed dried and ironed inside out makes them easier to replace in the duvet
Socks.........hell NO!

Florida12 Sat 30-May-20 16:47:01

Yes so that they don’t go bobbly, and dark items to reduce the fade.