Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you turn your clothes inside out before washing

(127 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 29-May-20 12:11:25

I don’t do this, but I do hang items on the line inside out especially if dark colours or have motifs on, while it’s warmer weather as don’t want them to fade, one friend washes everything inside out before puts in washing machine, but surely they get washed correctly anyway whether inside out or not,

infoman Fri 29-May-20 12:24:06

Only do it with Jeans,
who remembers those streaks on those jeans, all those years ago?

Septimia Fri 29-May-20 12:25:06

I don't, although I've come across people who do. It just makes extra work.

I just grab them and stick them in the machine, shake them when they come out before hanging them to dry, and usually iron the outside unless there's a motif that's going to melt.

Cabbie21 Fri 29-May-20 12:25:48

I do with trousers and some tops. My mum turned everything inside out.

Charleygirl5 Fri 29-May-20 12:31:24

Not necessarily before washing clothes but always before hanging outside, including white tops.

Pittcity Fri 29-May-20 12:41:33

No. Nor do I check the pockets!
I do peg at the armpits though to prevent marks.

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 12:43:41

No no no working in a charity shop we get bags full of clothes Sometimes all inside out it’s lovely that some people wash the items before donating but oh it’s tedious turning a whole black bagful round the right way it takes twice as long
Shouldn’t grumble though
No not sonething I ve ever done, why do those that do, do ?

Hetty58 Fri 29-May-20 12:45:53

Only socks - I don't know why, though, just copied the habit from our daily when I was a kid!

tanith Fri 29-May-20 13:02:12

I turn dark things inside out they don’t fade as quickly especially jeans.

MiniMoon Fri 29-May-20 13:04:11

I always wash trousers and jeans inside out.

I started doing it when I got white powdery marks on DH's work trousers.
These days I use liquid or the little squishy tablets.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 29-May-20 13:04:11

Sorry! Should have said one friend turns everything inside out before puts in washing machine,

lemsip Fri 29-May-20 13:15:17

yes, inside out before putting in w/machine and onto washing line! alsp, when hanging jeans/trousers on the line hang from waist band never from legs. quicker to dry.

Esspee Fri 29-May-20 13:25:56

We had domestic science at school and still stick to a lot of what was explained. Washing clothes inside out with zips done up prevents wear from buckles and zippers. It also prevents bobbling as the outside of your clothing is not rubbing against harder fabrics

glammanana Fri 29-May-20 13:26:04

Always jeans and trousers inside out and anything with motifs to stop fading in the sun.
I always use liquid detergent straight into the tub rather than clog up the drawer with powder.

Namsnanny Fri 29-May-20 13:29:13

Because of pilling Bluebell , and as others have said prevent fading, either in the wm or on the line.

Sorry you have the trouble of reversing garments, what a pain!smile

I wonder why people don't bother to turn back the right way before donating the clothes?

grannylyn65 Fri 29-May-20 14:17:12

?lts

sharon103 Fri 29-May-20 14:23:28

I always turn everything inside out especially underwear.
It really does stop things fading.

shysal Fri 29-May-20 14:28:05

I only do it for jeans.
Years ago, when her children were younger, I used to do my DD's ironing every week and was exasperated to have to turn everything back the right way before ironing it. I now do no ironing for myself, but she does almost everything. Her eldest son is a 'neat freak' and has taken over ironing and cleaning while home from Uni, where his housemates love him!

Hetty58 Fri 29-May-20 14:35:25

MiniMoon, my son hated white marks on black jeans. I bought a laundry egg for the dark things. It's wonderful - and very economical too.

Hetty58 Fri 29-May-20 14:35:27

MiniMoon, my son hated white marks on black jeans. I bought a laundry egg for the dark things. It's wonderful - and very economical too.

infoman Fri 29-May-20 15:53:22

Strange what we end up talking about,with shirts I always hang them up by the bottom of the shirt.
This saves them getting dirty on the top of the shoulder area.
Happy washing.

CherryCezzy Fri 29-May-20 16:07:47

I remember an old saying - if in doubt wash it inside out.
It has been quite effective, whether preventing fading or protecting motifs, embroidery etc. It is especially effective for reducing the powdery looking effect caused by the nap of the material used for chinos.

sodapop Fri 29-May-20 16:11:07

I always turn jeans and dark trousers inside out before washing as well. Prevents marking I thought, don't bother with other clothing though.

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-May-20 16:56:53

This must be another memo I missed. Oddly enough though, I used to turn some things inside out for ironing, shysal, but I saved myself the effort of that some years ago by just deciding to stop ironing.

welbeck Fri 29-May-20 20:11:02

i always wash everything inside out, whether by hand or machine, it just seems more respectful to the clothes.
i guess i must have seen other people do when i was very young. i've always thought felt it was the right thing to do.
i hope it protects the clothes, the visible when wearing side, so less likely to get damaged, or look worn out.
also i assume that the side nearest the body needs the most washing, unless it is something very unusual, eg overalls.
i was mostly with powder, or pressed powder tablets, as i have read that liquid can build up into gunge and remain in the machine. and remember the days of daz and omo; no liquids then, except specials for hand washing, woolite etc.
by the way, does anyone remember when it was the norm to do washing-up of plates, dishes, with the same detergent, omo or daz, kept on a shelf above the sink.
i clearly remember this but some people say i have imagined it. i actually saw it in a film last year, but of course those people were not present at the time.
i can rememeber so much of the long gone much lamented past. but literally forget within a minute that i have already done something i have been meaning to do; go to do it, and find it done. n8uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu7