Gransnet forums

Chat

More happy with my lot since the start of Coronavirus!

(60 Posts)
jennilin Sun 31-May-20 12:48:07

Putting the huge, constant sadness for the loss of life aside for a minute or two , I have now decided that I am happy with my lot. This has put things into perspective for me , I am questioning my priorities more. I am so grateful for my grandchildren, my husband , even though he has dementia and ms. I'm not worried about wrinkles or thinning hair anymore and all the other stuff that comes with ageing.
I think that this situation has made most people more considerate to others. When we come out the other side I am hoping that the world will have changed for the better .

cassandra264 Tue 02-Jun-20 06:22:52

Just picked up this thread. Yours was the most important posting on it, gillybob. And 25Avalon the next.And Jimbowl5 made some very important points.

If every one of us was brave enough to reach out to a person we know is undergoing hardship or suffering at this time, it might well not change the world - but what you do or say might prevent a bit of stress and put a smile on someone's face. And your own.

NfkDumpling Tue 02-Jun-20 07:19:23

I keep trying to look at the overall picture. That, hopefully, it’s been a wake up call and everyone won’t all rush out and shop, shop, shop when restrictions are lifted. That litter won’t be dropped, wars won’t be restarted, more people will work from home, that we’ll all value the planet more, world leaders will learn common sense, and we’ll have the new normal the government keep spouting on about. But I fear that won’t be.

This virus has brought together and divided at the same time. I’ve met neighbours, I’d not met before as they walk past the house for their daily exercise and the local shops and volunteers have gone above and beyond what they needed to do to help out and make sure everyone is ok.

But so many are struggling to keep things together, and so many businesses will fail and so many are loosing their jobs and worrying about where the next penny is coming from. Parents are worried about children missing education, trying to home school while working a full time job from home. Worried about whether their jobs will survive.

And people like me sit in the sun in our paid-for gilded cages and get really, really frustrated because they’re trapped and useless and not able to help.

I was very happy with my lot before the virus, now I’m frustrated, but I keep trying to look at the big picture and hope that the world will, overall, eventually, benefit and all will be good.

naheed Tue 02-Jun-20 18:36:00

We're retired and have no financial worries but our kids will have soon. We haven't seen two of our kid for nearly a year now & the last time we saw our other kid and our grand kids was nearly 5 months ago. We miss them a lot. We miss our friends, occasional parties, our groups, our little breaks, ... Hearing the news about what's going on with millions of others because of Covid 19 and what future holds for them are a source sadness for us. Not being able to get treatment for eyes, teeth, tests for potential health problems of all sorts, ... for all of us is a major worry for us too. Mental health issues, ... Can't be happy right now. The quality of life is just not there. It would have been somewhat better if we had a committed and competent leadership.

jennilin Tue 02-Jun-20 19:24:36

gillybob I don't think any of us escaped from the trauma caused by this pandemic .. it's no one's fault, I expect that's debatable but we are in it like it or not ... I'm not sure if smug Houndi or the ilk is legit hopefully not ... You just hang on in there matey we are slowly getting back to normality .. seriously hoping you can weather the storm xxx

jennilin Tue 02-Jun-20 19:26:34

Are you for real ?

Pix5 Tue 02-Jun-20 23:37:44

I have completed a lot continuous professional development, all completed online. I have got rid of a lot of books. Sorted out my clothes. Sent in my written application for accreditation. Taken on more online work. I did a bit of gardening. Caught up on paperwork. Caught up on ironing. Sorted out my study. I miss my kids, but I’m talking to them on the webcam and my granddaughter. My husband is working from home. He has been mowing the lawn and getting the patio dug up and replaced. So all in all I’ve done more during this time than I have in a long time. I’m really happy with my lot. I’d say if I could live on an island with plenty of money, that’d suit me fine.

Jaffacake2 Wed 03-Jun-20 09:41:23

My heart goes out to everyone who has had problems through lockdown and hope that the future will be more positive for themselves,and their families.
My daughter has coped with the grandchildren both under 5 alone plus all the unpleasant moments from ex husband who walked out on them 2 years ago. She has managed to do some online teaching and keeping financially afloat. My other daughter had the virus in March and thankfully recovered after a scary few weeks. She is now furloughed but business looks as though it won't be reopening. She is trying to stay positive but have had some tearful phone calls from her.
I was due to have a MRI in march for ongoing
neurological problems but was cancelled and unsure when will be rescheduled. My right foot is going numb and feeling anxious as to what this could be.

etheltbags1 Tue 16-Jun-20 20:40:23

We're alive that's what matters. Who cares about the politics, lack of money etc. In a few weeks we will all be back in the rat race. I will be working, worrying about money etc . At the minute its like being in convalescence , resting after a bad time, so I just relax for the next few weeks.

tidyskatemum Tue 16-Jun-20 22:10:01

We are some of the lucky ones. DH and I have been quite self-contained for some time, with both DC living abroad and no commitments but sufficient incomes.We've quite enjoyed the peace and opportunity to enjoy our environment. However, I learned to appreciate the difficulties after an elderly relative was taken into hospital last week. His one remaining sibling can't visit as she is in her 80's with a husband with multiple problems and she is beside herself at the thought that she may never see him again.. The sole visitor he has been allowed is a cousin who feels she can now not see her own parents or grandchild because her DiL is at risk with type 1 diabetes. And yet there are thousands (millions??) out there breathing all over others without a care in the world.