Gransnet forums

Chat

More happy with my lot since the start of Coronavirus!

(59 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 01-Jun-20 06:38:11

I agree in some ways and probably if we weren't shielding together, I would be feeling the same but I am aware of my DH becoming more frail by the day.
It's as if we are being plunged into old age before our time.
Before covid, we enjoyed our weekly trips into the city for a meal and maybe the cinema and the hospital. Now it's just the hospital!

We had friends to stay and enjoyed hosting our many volunteers who helped us with various community projects which we had helped to found.

I love that the planet is having a bit of a breather and I hope that more good things will emerge as the world emerges from the pandemic but selfishly, I miss a lot particularly being unable to help my children or our parents at this time.

Blinko Sun 31-May-20 21:49:12

Some of us GNers are the fortunate ones, aren't we? Not having to worry about a job or an income. Not having to travel anywhere if we don't feel safe doing so. Able to take time out and recharge our batteries.

I am grateful too that our ACs are able to continue working, doing so from home, so no travel worries there either.

It's when you stop to think of the outside world, where the sadness comes in. Who knows when it will end.

etheltbags1 Sun 31-May-20 21:22:57

I'm enjoying life too but feel so sad at all the deaths, my life is slow, getting dressedat lunchtime, maybe no having a shower, wearing the same clothes for 2 days if I want to.etc. I love to just to be in my garden relaxing, having a nap in the afternoon . Lovely.

Gingster Sun 31-May-20 20:32:33

I feel exactly the same as many of you on here. Life needed to take a breather. I have many hobbies and usually am out of the house most days, persuing my interests. I can honestly say I haven’t missed any of them. I’ve spoken to friends and family daily and keep in touch that way. Maybe this feeling will wear off but at present I’m quite happy to make do with what I have .

Jomarie Sun 31-May-20 19:43:26

Mmmm - I see a trend forming - one which I have felt (in my bones) for a little while now. Maybe people are becoming more honest about what is important to them rather than cow-towing (silently) to what others deem to be top priority ?

G/net has always been a venue for all the human traits - honesty, hypocrisy, denial, jealousy etc. etc, Some people have the courage of their convictions others are just in it for the joy of seeing their "outrageous" views in print and the resultant responses!!!
Personally I applaud the courageous posters and delight in the others - so entertaining!!!

Everyone on here is suffering in some form whether it be missing the grandchildren, bereavement, domestic violence, health problem or just boredom - but we are being brave enough to admit our frailties which do, indeed, help many others who are suffering the same - one misery does not/should not eclipse another.

I probably won't post this missive as my thoughts are a bit random tonight -

Aah well - here goes !!!

I expect to be lambasted as "patronising" and a miriad of other insults but - so be it. Crash helmet in place ! grin

Floradora9 Sun 31-May-20 19:07:52

I think I have Stockholm syndrome I am quite used to this way of life and sometimes feel put out if someone interupts it . DGC are hundred of miles away so no hope of seeing them in the near future but we zoom frequently . Tesco delivers our shopping or we click and collect at Asda . The lovely weather has really been a bonus as we have a lovely garden and conservatory so live in lots of light most of the day . I would just love some fresh Scottish strawberries. We both could do to see a dentist but living with the problem at the moment .

threexnanny Sun 31-May-20 17:07:23

The loss of life has been horrendous, but I agree this has been a unique opportunity to take stock of all areas of our lives. Isolation has been the most difficult, but peoples inventiveness for coping strategies has been really remarkable.

OceanMama Sun 31-May-20 13:50:57

I feel the same way. Legitimising of being more of a hermit, slowing down, being able to have a break and take stock of my life and reshape it. While I know it's been hard and tragic for many and I wouldn't choose for us to have gone through this, I have found the silver lining for myself. Being able to step back has really helped with the struggles of the grief process for me too. I do acknowledged it has plunged many into that same process though. It's nothing I couldn't have chosen to do without a pandemic but, without the requirement, I'm not sure I'd have felt it was an ok thing to do. This gave me permission. It has brought it's challenges and one of my children hasn't coped well. There are things I miss and I know there are challenges ahead as this goes on.

jennilin Sun 31-May-20 12:48:07

Putting the huge, constant sadness for the loss of life aside for a minute or two , I have now decided that I am happy with my lot. This has put things into perspective for me , I am questioning my priorities more. I am so grateful for my grandchildren, my husband , even though he has dementia and ms. I'm not worried about wrinkles or thinning hair anymore and all the other stuff that comes with ageing.
I think that this situation has made most people more considerate to others. When we come out the other side I am hoping that the world will have changed for the better .