Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you have a schoolgirl crush on a film star?

(182 Posts)
AGAA4 Sun 31-May-20 15:49:49

I was in love with Clint Eastwood when he was in Rawhide in the early 60's
He is 90 today.

GranddadBrian Tue 02-Jun-20 15:40:02

A crush can be painful for a young chap. Not so bad for girls.

I remember when I was 15, we were on holiday In Douglas IOM. It had been raining so my parents took us to the cinema
I fell in love with Joan Leslie starring in the film
When we were came to leave my body was acting like a dog on heat , so much my Dad rescued me with the loan of his rain Mac . My 11=yr sister kept asking question which Mum had to tell her off for speaking out loud. I never wanted another crush, it can be painful and very embarrassing at 15.

Pity I don’t get a crush very often these days.

BelindaB Tue 02-Jun-20 15:25:38

Oliver Read (I've always liked bad boys, too!). Somewhat spoiled his image when a girl I worked with who was dotty about him actually turned up at the studio gate and demanded to see him - and he not only obliged, but took her to tea and gave her a tour of the set!

Also George Chakiris (West Side Story) and another Clint whose surname I cannot remember, he was huge and was a really bad actor but he looked wonderful! I think he was part red indian.

One who can still make me go dizzy is Sam Elliott. That first shot of him in Mask when he turns and looks at the camera and grins....Ha! In a cold sweat again...

...and not forgetting Geoff Goldbloom. Those eyes!!!

Just because we are on a diet don't mean we can't look at the menu, Right?

hollysteers Tue 02-Jun-20 13:54:36

My crush was Desi Arnez, husband of Lucy. Apparently he was quite a womaniser, so I was not the only one!
Also, strangely, Fred MacMurray. I had a violent father and he always seemed so kind, so possibly I saw him as an ideal father.

JeanGenie14 Tue 02-Jun-20 13:02:25

Clark Gable for me!!

catladyuk Tue 02-Jun-20 12:54:51

Dirk Bogarde and James Dean (who was not gay but probably bi!) and many more over the years but these were the earliest, and yes, I still have the scrapbooks!

Teetime Tue 02-Jun-20 09:35:23

Oliver Reed!!!!! I know I can hear you shouting but Oh wow!!!!

Lexisgranny Tue 02-Jun-20 09:10:21

Richard Todd in Robin Hood and the Dam Busters. Must confess I did have an almost life size cardboard cutout of Tommy Steele playing his guitar in my bedroom, much to my mother’s annoyance. It had been a promotional thing used by our local record shop for The Duke Wore Jeans.

DanniRae Tue 02-Jun-20 08:51:10

How could I have forgotten Colin Firth as Mr Darcy? I thought he was gorgeous. I wrote to him and months later he sent me a signed photo......my 'slightly' jealous husband said he had definitely not signed it himself but I know he had!!

NannaLyn Tue 02-Jun-20 05:06:34

Lucca
Yes, you're quite right. If I remember correctly, in the book, we are introduced to Ralph as a man in his late twenties with curly black hair and blue eyes - very Irish! I hadn't read the book when the TV series came out but it is now probably one of my favourites.
I just loved their relationship. A bit like the priest and Assumpta in Ballykissangel. Forbidden love!

May7 Tue 02-Jun-20 01:37:57

David Cassidy for me too.Posters all over my bedroom. Beautiful teenager/young man in grandad shirt, gorgeous but what an utter prat he grew up to be.

lincolnimp Tue 02-Jun-20 01:28:05

What do you mean---schoolgirl crush?
I still have one---Martin Shaw < especially in Judge John Deed
Those eyes !!!!!

Patsy222 Tue 02-Jun-20 01:12:57

I was madly in love with Robert Horton when I was overt young I had pictures from Valentine magazine all over my bedroom wall.

Lucca Mon 01-Jun-20 23:09:28

Nanalyn. I thought richard chamberlain was completely miscast in the thorn birds, the character Ralph de bricassart should be dark,brooding, sexy, not blond and clean cut !!

Lucca Mon 01-Jun-20 23:07:55

Lemongrove . Eric Burden ?

Espes Mon 01-Jun-20 22:40:48

My first true love - Donny Osmond. I never got to see him in concert as a teenager but made up for it when I went to see him play at Bournemouth BIC maybe 8/10 years ago, screamed like a teenager, almost went into orbit when he came into the audience. Donny you've still got it ?

lemongrove Mon 01-Jun-20 22:40:39

What a lovely happy thread?
Enjoyed reading all the posts, but many names I haven’t heard of, so can’t picture them, but Reginald Bosanquet made me smile.....I can’t be too amused though because I had a bit of a pash on Matt Monroe at one time? and I also liked the pock marked lead singer who sang The House of The Rising Sun.That was all in the 1960’s though.

GranddadBrian Mon 01-Jun-20 22:24:51

I should have fallen for the guy in the mirror, but I am not gay . In any case I know all his faults. So instead luckily, I fell in love with a lovely girl at the 18+ club whilst hiking in Derbyshire . We have just celebrated 64, years together.

Jennist Mon 01-Jun-20 21:39:29

I think that I loved most of those mentioned. Sticking with the cowboy theme though, Robert Horton and Clint Eastwood were lovely but James Garner was spectacular.
Can I have one more, Ed Byrne ( Kookie) so cool.

Glorybee Mon 01-Jun-20 21:31:12

Jersey girl - your listing Captain Scarlet reminded me that I used to love the man in a kilt and vest on the Scotts porage oats packet, he looked so strong!

whoisthis Mon 01-Jun-20 21:18:12

David Cassidy, had posters all over my bedroom wall.

NannaLyn Mon 01-Jun-20 20:49:06

Just remembered Laurence Harvey. Saw him in Camelot in London in the 1960's and have his autograph somewhere. Weirdly, I also really liked Spencer Tracey!

NannaLyn Mon 01-Jun-20 20:39:26

How about Desmond Carrington in Emergency, Ward 10? Also Clint Eastwood, Dirk Bogarde (read all his books), Trampas - was he in The Virginian? Richard Chamberlain, especially in The Thorn Birds, less so in Dr Kildaire. My favourite pop star was/is Elvis - I'd have gone almost anywhere to see him perform live. John Kerr in South Pacific - my all time favourite film. ❤

Happysexagenarian Mon 01-Jun-20 20:23:33

David McCallum who was in The Man from Uncle, and Cary Grant - still enjoy his films.

Onwardsandupwards Mon 01-Jun-20 19:17:24

Of course Idris Elba wasn’t a ‘schoolgirl crush’.. He’s much more recent! Just because I’m on a diet doesn’t mean I can’t look at the menu..!

Onwardsandupwards Mon 01-Jun-20 19:13:58

OMG I’m going to sound greedy now.. Dirk Bogart in Tale of two cities.. Terence Stamp in Far from the madding crowd.. I used to kiss my David Cassidy poster every night and promise him I was going to marry him.. Clint Eastwood, from the Rawhide days all the way to Bridges of Maddison County.. Idris Elba in The mountain between us.. Nothing wrong with daydreaming!