Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you chew gum?

(70 Posts)
polyester57 Sun 31-May-20 22:28:09

My OH always has a packet around. My daughter chews. The grandchildren seem obsessed by it. I have never understood what it´s all about. As a child, I was told that if you swallow chewing gum it stays in your system for years. I don´t understand what it´s all about. Do you chew?

Diggingdoris Mon 01-Jun-20 10:49:15

I used to take a couple of boiled sweets with me when I walked the dog, but as I'm trying to lose weight I've changed to chewing gum instead. Less sugar , and still tastes sweet.

Theoddbird Mon 01-Jun-20 10:52:01

No...never have. It is disgusting stuff that people just drop on the ground. It then stays there or gets stuck to people's shoes

joaniec7 Mon 01-Jun-20 10:59:12

Yes, occasionally I chew sugar free gum, it is good for your teeth but only up to 7 minutes.

Aepgirl Mon 01-Jun-20 11:04:50

No, I don't chew gum. I think it is a disgusting habit, particularly with those who chew noisily or with their mouths open.

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 01-Jun-20 11:08:02

Nope : pulls out my fillings, and l always end up biting my tongue, or the inside of my cheek.
Hazardous occupation for me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:09:38

As a child I was told that if you swallowed chewing gum it would kill you. Our very strict headmistress at secondary school banned it and considered it a disgraceful and dirty habit.
After all these years I still can't bring myself to chew it.

Phloembundle Mon 01-Jun-20 11:11:23

I chew now and then but my sister chews constantly. If it isn't gum it's sweets.

Kartush Mon 01-Jun-20 11:11:49

Only when we are going for a long trip in the car. My husband says chewing gum keeps him awake.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:14:42

Vile stuff! Did try but it's foul once the flavour has gone, as for people who chomp away in front of me or on TV I think it's very rude!!

Pantglas2 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:18:44

I rarely do but then I don’t eat sweets very often either, maybe suck on the odd mint occasionally.

I understand the medical advice for it but it’s not really a good look on most adults! Like cows in a field chewing the cud!

00mam00 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:23:21

Apparently it gets a flow of air to the brain, so if in a tricky traffic situation I chew gum and it certainly helps me focus. But like some others I don’t chew for long as it gives me stomach ache. OH chews all the time and it’s like sitting next to a cow chewing the cud. Our DS won’t let him chew gum if they are together.

HHBBNN54 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:26:54

I used to keep a pack with me when I used to do a voluntary job in a charity shop as I found it keeps your mouth moist and when I was on the till you cant keep running to the loo all the time. I still chew now when I get a dry mouth at times.

Lupin Mon 01-Jun-20 11:32:21

I have chewed in the past to help with dieting, but I haven't for a long time. It was always a private occupation. I would not dream of dropping gum in the street and hate to see the evidence from those who do.
Chewing gum helped me give up smoking decades ago.

FlexibleFriend Mon 01-Jun-20 11:58:08

I've always chewed gum, be it bazooka joe as a kid or airways as an adult and no it doessn't loose it's flavour. I do seem to have a dry mouth these days due to meds but I'd no doubt choose to chew it anyway. I've never spat it out in the street as that's disgusting and I always have tissues with me for that purpose. I can't see why it should bother anyone else but hey everyone has an opinion it seems.

Paperbackwriter Mon 01-Jun-20 12:04:09

I sometimes have gum in the car but whenever I chew it (and that's very rare, just occasionally on a long journey if I'm all out of wine gums) I can see my mother telling me I'm being 'common'.

janeayressister Mon 01-Jun-20 12:14:45

I chew gum on walks. It is also a cure for halitosis. I haven’t got it but I was told by a ENT person ,

Tabbycat Mon 01-Jun-20 12:34:57

My mother always taught us it was 'common' to eat in the street and we were never allowed to have chewing gum. Once I disobeyed her and bought a penny chew when I was out with my friends - it was pink and tasted really sweet. They could all blow enormous bubbles, but when I eventually managed to blow a big bubble it burst and got stuck in my long hair. I still remember the telling off I had when I got home and it took ages to get it all out. It sort of put me off.
Nowadays I don't like people who chew noisily with their mouth open; neither do I like the way some people dispose of the finished bits of gum - on the floor, under seats etc. UGH!

Esspee Mon 01-Jun-20 12:37:12

Disgusting habit banned in some countries because of the mess as, for some unknown reason, people who use
it think nothing of spitting it out rather than binning it.

travelsafar Mon 01-Jun-20 12:37:25

Yes all the time, like others i suffer with a dry mouth and my tongue feels like it will stick to the roof of my mouth if i don't, Hate it but necessary.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:49:34

I was allowed chewing gum occasionally as a child, but never bubble gum, which my mother thought common. We were never allowed to take food out of our mouths once we had put it in, and that rule, she felt, applied to bubble gum.

After I grew up, I have only ever chewed gum to avoid my ears "popping" when travelling by plane.

I believe the theory that sugar-free chewing gum is good for your teeth has been disproved. It certainly is not favoured by dentists here in Denmark, or in Germany any longer.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 01-Jun-20 12:58:21

No I don't but have on occasion and it just fills my stomach with air. Hate to see people chomping away in public but agree it's probably good for teeth as it promotes saliva production.
I do wish people wouldn't spit it out onto the pavement though, vile sticky stuff.

Alishka Mon 01-Jun-20 13:28:59

I lived in Singapore for a while and it was banned there.

4allweknow Mon 01-Jun-20 13:46:24

Gosh, now I want some gum! Supposed to be good for dental health as produces saliva which in turn helps protect against bacteria. I have added this to my click and collect list for this week.

Flakesdayout Mon 01-Jun-20 15:18:59

Gives me wind !

Granless Mon 01-Jun-20 15:30:44

I’m a chewer for several reasons: always after a meal if out and about; when walking to obviate a dry mouth; I enjoy a short chew for no reason plus it helps to keep my post nasal drip under control. Holland and Barrett sell a ‘healthy’ one.