Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you chew gum?

(70 Posts)
polyester57 Sun 31-May-20 22:28:09

My OH always has a packet around. My daughter chews. The grandchildren seem obsessed by it. I have never understood what it´s all about. As a child, I was told that if you swallow chewing gum it stays in your system for years. I don´t understand what it´s all about. Do you chew?

pengwen Thu 04-Jun-20 00:10:51

White wave
D H treatment also leaves his mouth very dry,so he chews gum.
I don't like to see chewing ++
What I really object to is chewing gum on the floor and paths,if you chew,don't just leave wrap it,take it home or put it in a bin.

diygran Wed 03-Jun-20 20:29:07

My son chews gum constantly with an open mouth. He's a very intelligent person but this habit is horrible.
Strangely his father, who I split with when son was baby, used to chew gum in exactly the same way. Aren't genetics peculiar?

grannylyn65 Wed 03-Jun-20 20:06:40

When I stopped smoking

Nannyjulesrules Wed 03-Jun-20 20:02:30

I chew gum, but as discretely as possible! I also dispose of it carefully. I chew gum because it calms my nerves and helps me think more clearly. It also helps my dry mouth. Menthol gum clears my head if I have a headache. But I don't chew it all day or every day!

Jane10 Wed 03-Jun-20 09:59:45

No. Its looks awful.

MissAdventure Tue 02-Jun-20 23:24:15

It depends how you chew it, I think.
Churning it round and round with your mouth open is horrible.

paddyanne Tue 02-Jun-20 10:06:34

I remember my mother telling my oldest sister not to bring her new friend back to the house again because she was common...she chewed gum,You can guess we were never allowed gum so Idont think any of us ever used it

9pins Tue 02-Jun-20 07:00:57

Chewing gum stops my mouth feeling dry and consider it good for my teeth.... and breath.
Yes there are occasions and places I would consider it a little improper to be chewing gum. Generally though not interested on others viws on it.

GrandmaMoira Mon 01-Jun-20 18:40:08

I chewed gum for several months after giving up smoking. It did help but have never used gum otherwise.

jerseygirl Mon 01-Jun-20 18:33:57

I used to love Anglo bubbly and bazooka joe bubbly (free mini transfer) as a child but don't chew any type of gum now.

jerseygirl Mon 01-Jun-20 18:31:51

If your mother says don't chew it
Do you swallow it in spite

lemsip Mon 01-Jun-20 18:05:14

one comment talked of masticating animals re chewing gum subject! don't know where they come from but fortunately I must live in a much better place because I have never come across someone like that!!

GrammarGrandma Mon 01-Jun-20 17:15:21

No.

timetogo2016 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:11:12

I have chewed gum for years.
I used to work in a very dusty factory and my mother told me it helps keep the dust of your chest.
I have a lung problem and around 4 years ago my GP said the very same thing.
So... if i am out walking in dry weather/on the beach/dusting i chew.
Plus it keeps pet fur of my chest.

lemongrove Mon 01-Jun-20 17:10:04

No, or at least not since childhood.

LinDe Mon 01-Jun-20 17:09:11

I chew gum to help with my anxiety! I had to buy one online from Peppersmith as it has no nasties in it. When you chew apparently your brain relaxes as it thinks you are safe from harm. Horrible habit, but it works.

CBBL Mon 01-Jun-20 17:02:16

No. I have never bought Chewing Gum. My Grandmother told me that when you chew it, your stomach prepares to digest food that never actually arrives, and in time, could cause health problems such as stomach ulcers. This might not be true, but it was enough to put me off, and still makes sense, even if inaccurate!

JenniferEccles Mon 01-Jun-20 16:26:58

No I don’t. It’s a filthy habit.

I hate seeing people chewing away like some masticating animal.

Have those who do ever looked at themselves in the mirror to see what the rest of us see ?

TrendyNannie6 Mon 01-Jun-20 16:21:14

No I don’t , I used to till mid 40.s but it used to make me hungry so I stopped a very long time ago,

Granless Mon 01-Jun-20 15:30:44

I’m a chewer for several reasons: always after a meal if out and about; when walking to obviate a dry mouth; I enjoy a short chew for no reason plus it helps to keep my post nasal drip under control. Holland and Barrett sell a ‘healthy’ one.

Flakesdayout Mon 01-Jun-20 15:18:59

Gives me wind !

4allweknow Mon 01-Jun-20 13:46:24

Gosh, now I want some gum! Supposed to be good for dental health as produces saliva which in turn helps protect against bacteria. I have added this to my click and collect list for this week.

Alishka Mon 01-Jun-20 13:28:59

I lived in Singapore for a while and it was banned there.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 01-Jun-20 12:58:21

No I don't but have on occasion and it just fills my stomach with air. Hate to see people chomping away in public but agree it's probably good for teeth as it promotes saliva production.
I do wish people wouldn't spit it out onto the pavement though, vile sticky stuff.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:49:34

I was allowed chewing gum occasionally as a child, but never bubble gum, which my mother thought common. We were never allowed to take food out of our mouths once we had put it in, and that rule, she felt, applied to bubble gum.

After I grew up, I have only ever chewed gum to avoid my ears "popping" when travelling by plane.

I believe the theory that sugar-free chewing gum is good for your teeth has been disproved. It certainly is not favoured by dentists here in Denmark, or in Germany any longer.