Gransnet forums

Chat

Elderly vulnerable woman allowed out for excercise.

(25 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 02-Jun-20 13:39:04

Alexa, they are known for their good temperament and sure footedness.

Essential qualities when you have the 94 yr old Queen on your back I would think. grin

Alexa Tue 02-Jun-20 10:54:59

MerlotGran are Fell ponies rocking= chair rides? This would make such a difference to aged person's riding, especially if they kept to a walk, or even ride a pony that could go straight from walk to canter. Even I would have go on a top notch pony like that if there were two people who would lift me on and off.

The Queen is a real countrywoman who is able to enjoy riding a pony when a fine horse such as she was used to would be too much for her.

MaizieD Tue 02-Jun-20 10:48:16

P.S. The ground is so hard at the moment that the pony wouldn't have left any impression at all on the lawn.

MaizieD Tue 02-Jun-20 10:45:56

The fact that she rides a Fell pony always makes me smile. I live in Fell pony country and have a friend who is a talented artist (and a good rider). She said that whenever she was commissioned to depict someone's Fell pony they always wanted her to make it look full of life and 'go'. She christened them Fiery Fells grin; that's how I always think of them...

Prince Philip used to drive Fells, didn't he?

I wish I was still able to ride. Miss it a lot.

Iam64 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:09:20

Merlotgran,
When I was diagnosed with RA in my early 40's, my consultant contradicted advice from various medics, that I should stop riding. His advice was to ride as long as I could "but don't fall off, that would be very bad in your situation"

I finally stopped in my late 50's, after the huge horse I was riding shifted his rear end slightly as we went through a gate. My left osteo arthritic knee was the size of a rugby ball by the time I got home. I struggled to get the jodhpurs over the knee then iced said knee. Like merlot, by this stage if I missed riding regularly, I'd be so stiff when I resumed. I decided the big horse and the gate post were telling me something. Mind you, if I was Her Majesty, I hope I'd have a bomb proof Fell pony to wander my estates on. Fabulous.

merlotgran Mon 01-Jun-20 11:12:18

Hopefully the pony isn't shod as I can just imagine the gardener weeping tears of frustration as she rides across his perfectly mown lawn.

But then it is her lawn! grin

BlueSky Mon 01-Jun-20 10:45:56

And her husband Prince Philip 99 on 10 June!

Callistemon Mon 01-Jun-20 10:39:18

She's a great gal!!

Well done Your Majesty.

Teetime Mon 01-Jun-20 09:45:27

She looks great and hope she continues to enjoy riding for a long while to come. She is a great example to us all.

EllanVannin Mon 01-Jun-20 09:34:45

I too thought it was a beautiful picture. What a woman ! I think she's going to go on as her mother did, beyond 100. History in the making if she still reigns on her 100th Birthday----I hope so. What a celebration that would be. I'd certainly like to see that considering I was 13 during her coronation and have followed her life throughout.

sodapop Mon 01-Jun-20 08:59:10

Lovely picture, the Queen doesn't let a little thing like old age stop her, amazing lady.

merlotgran Mon 01-Jun-20 08:54:43

It's a Fell pony called Balmoral Fern, Alexa

Alexa Mon 01-Jun-20 08:48:15

What a lovely picture. Is that a fell pony?

Liz46 Mon 01-Jun-20 08:44:43

Amazing lady. That's a tough generation.

My aunt died recently at the age of 95. She was a formidable lady. Her friend (of a similar age) conducted the funeral service in the full church. She had to be helped up a few steps but spoke loudly and confidently. Another friend, who had been at Bletchley Park during the war, also attended the funeral.
Three very clever ladies who had had good careers despite the men being 'superior' in those days.

Funnygran Mon 01-Jun-20 08:38:20

greyduster I had just looked at that photo and that was my first thought - how does she get up on a horse at 94! Amazing lady.

travelsafar Mon 01-Jun-20 08:37:47

Maybe she practices getting on and off on the rocking horse that no doubt resides in the nursery!!! smile
She is fantastic for her age.

merlotgran Mon 01-Jun-20 08:34:46

I had to stop riding when I was fifty due to knackered knees.

I wonder how the Queen copes with stiffness if she hasn't ridden for a while? I used to walk like John Wayne! grin

JenniferEccles Mon 01-Jun-20 08:22:26

What an inspiration the Queen is.

Just goes to show what is possible at a great age if we keep fit and take responsibility for our own health.

Iam64 Mon 01-Jun-20 07:40:27

She's a cracker isn't she. I can't remember seeing her photographed riding anything other than that lovely pony for a long time. Maybe he's bomb proof

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jun-20 07:19:04

??

Greyduster Mon 01-Jun-20 06:37:29

I’m amazed she can still get on a horse at her advanced age. I doubt if I could now. All credit to her, still doing what she loves most.

V3ra Mon 01-Jun-20 01:39:28

Her majesty is amazing!
Long may she reign ?

welbeck Mon 01-Jun-20 01:28:37

doesn't look too vulnerable there, nor elderly; still has a fine seat.
anyway she's on her premises. looks like the home park.

merlotgran Sun 31-May-20 23:32:00

Oops! Exercise.

Handy bending poles for gymkhana practice.

merlotgran Sun 31-May-20 23:28:36

But only in the garden grin