Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen Out Riding.

(200 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 01-Jun-20 07:15:31

Just that really.

First pictures of the Queen outside since she went in to lockdown at Windsor Castle.

Out riding on a pony this weekend, enjoying the sunny weather.

Not bad at 94.

Yellowmellow Tue 02-Jun-20 10:16:47

I'm with you paddyanne. All power to the queen but with the medical care she has and privileges she has a much better chance of living into a healthy old age.
The other thing l wiuld say is l don't know paddyanne or her posts but one issue l have with this site is the nastiness shoe by some posters if orther people have a different point of view. We are all entitled to our opinion

Yellowmellow Tue 02-Jun-20 10:17:50

Whoops sorry about the typos mistakes....and thats with a stylus

Rocknroll5me Tue 02-Jun-20 10:18:51

I haven't seen the picture but heard about it and thought what a good 'can do' message it is for us all in a very ageist society. It's a good thing. She has always lived a full life with her animal companions and would always much prefer and insist a walk round the grounds with the dogs with a visiting dignatory than a sitting down meeting. Sensible woman.They come in every wallk of life.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 10:19:41

fatgran the laughable Harry and Meghan were greeted with rapture in Australia and we did hope wonder if they'd make their home there, but other plans were afoot and now they have gone. Permanently. They are Hollywood now.

Lesley60 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:21:31

Princess Margaret smoked and drank heavily that probably Contributed to her death at a younger age.
I bet the royals only has to sneeze and they have top Doctors running around them, whereby us Taxpayers would be lucky to see a GP within two weeks.
And no I’m not jealous just a little resentful to be paying money to keep hangers on in palatial palaces etc.

georgia101 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:22:09

The Queen has been a wonderful monarch and has worked long and difficult hours having to be civil and diplomatic to people that most of us would avoid, but she does it for international business and peace. She was born into that position, and didn't choose it. How many of these people making snide comments would have done such a good job in a career they didn't choose for over 60 years? Our class system has it's faults, but would we really choose to have a president trump or blair that brings it's own opportunities of manipulation for their own and their friends benefit? The Queen also brings a huge amount of business to our country in tourism alone as thousands of people come here for the history and pageantry royalty provides. We can't compare everyone's lives as we all have different circumstances we're born into, or choose the paths we take, as well as the genes we're born with. Some are lucky, some are not. Some are good people, some are not. We just have to make the best of our own lives without being jealous and bitter of those whom we perceive as having more than we have. If our Queen is able to ride a pony at the age of 94 then good luck to her, and I hope she enjoys many more years of good health

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 10:22:56

fatgran just to add that I have never seen mags filled with so many stories and photos of the British Royals, including Princess Mary and the Danish Royal family, as in Australia!

Bumpsy Tue 02-Jun-20 10:24:02

Paddyanne my father in law is 98 and certainly has not had a life of privilege. I think it's great she's doing what she enjoys while she can. How many people in their 90's do you know that are still working as hard as she does? Health is also the luck of the draw.

Parsley3 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:33:59

I wonder how the royal perm has stood the test of lockdown. She is wearing her headscarf so I couldn’t see. Her Majesty would surely not have broken any hairdressing rules. She is much too sensible.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:34:22

For a start, horse riding exercises every muscle in the body, so it will help to keep her fit, also the compassion she has for animals will help. Nevertheless, she is amazing.

pollyanna1962 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:34:56

THE very best health care is what helps the Royals. Many of us could be saved osteoporosis fractures, dietary issues etc if we had a personal physician and a chef who gives us only perfect home produced food.

gillgran Tue 02-Jun-20 10:38:19

Good to see The Queen out in her grounds.

MaizieD Tue 02-Jun-20 10:38:57

I just join the posters who are sighing with envy at the fact that she can still ride. I had to stop about 4 years ago and I miss it dreadfully.

Lucca Tue 02-Jun-20 10:43:48

Parsley3. The queens senior dresser is driven to the queens private quarters from home park in a regularly disinefected car. So I’m guessing the senior dresser knows how to do HM’s hair too.

Joesoap Tue 02-Jun-20 10:45:20

I admire the Queen and it is wonderful she can still enjoy riding.All the best medical care doesnt help if you dont have the right genes which the Queen obviously has, its nothing to do with class or advantages, or richness.I hope she lives to a hundred like her Mum.

Theoddbird Tue 02-Jun-20 10:49:11

I think it is wonderful. She loves horses. I read somewhere that she was an expert on bloodlines of racehorses...

Calendargirl Tue 02-Jun-20 10:50:48

Yellowmellow

You say you don’t know Paddyanne and her posts. I agree we are all entitled to our views, and believe me, any Royal issues mentioned on here generate her forthright opinions on the subject.

Calendargirl Tue 02-Jun-20 10:51:54

I don’t think she’s a Monarchist!

?

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 02-Jun-20 10:52:31

The Queen has never worn a hat. Something to do with her hair getting messed up. I don't care how rich people are, so long as it is through their own efforts and they haven't ruined people's lives to get their fortunes. There are some like that. Royalty though. Mmm. I love the historical aspect of the monarchy but individually, apart from the reigning monarch, I don't think they should have special treatment. When I met the POW a few years ago, I made the tiniest of bows. If it had been the Queen, I would have practised and made a sweeping curtsey. I quite understand why Harry and Meghan felt the need to escape the stultifying atmosphere of the Royal Family. and the mad tabloid press and their trolls, of course.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:56:05

I hope to continue riding for a few years to come, I do wear a riding hat always.

I am more than happy to have a core Royal Family which is slowly happening.

Having been in various financial situations in my lifetime I have never been envious of what others have or could have.
Envy/Jealousy achieves nothing it eats you up from the inside out and turns people bitter!

Pippa22 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:56:19

Paddyanne, you are so predictable. Clearly have a chip on your shoulder, would having a president make you feel happier?

jude2006 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:56:52

The Queen is an absolute treasure to this country, wonderful lady and truly amazing to do the things she still does at her age. I agree with you Polyanna1962 and I would also love to know if she has had hormone treatment for years, I would think so.

knspol Tue 02-Jun-20 10:59:05

Isn't she supposed to set an example but no hat when riding and sloping off to 2nd home when virus hits. To be absolutely fair if it was anybody else she'd be castigated.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 02-Jun-20 11:02:50

annepl
Quote 'and the best health care'. Would you want her job?
Juggling the affairs of state (not just the ones of state grin then it takes stamina. I admire her, begrudge her nothing. and proud to have lived in her reign.

Lexisgranny Tue 02-Jun-20 11:04:21

Most reports of the Queen appear to say that she lives a fairly abstemious life. Yes, she goes to state/ official dinners, but even then does not over indulge, and they are part of her job. Yes, she has access to the best of medical attention, but historically it would appear she has not often had to recourse to them. There are those who say the Royal family do little, but in normal times, if you read the Court Circular in some newspapers, you see that they are working, it just doesn’t get reported in the newspapers. The Queen deals with state papers every day. I agree that she has cut down on her work lately, but the Royal family as a general rule don’t have the privilege the rest of us enjoy of opting out of engagements at the last minute if we don’t feel up to it. How many 94 year olds are still working part-time?
I think that Charles is quite right to slim the family down. I think it would be far better to stop with the Cambridge children As far as I am concerned, Harry has opted out. Good luck to him, but don’t involve us. The only ones who could be considered an asset, are Princess Anne and Sophie Wessex, as for the rest............