Gransnet forums

Chat

Proof the world has gone mad

(122 Posts)
Littleannie Tue 02-Jun-20 10:49:18

Now I know the world has gone mad. I have just seen a picture of a queue a mile long, which started forming at 5 a.m. Was it for a vaccine guaranteed to cure this dreadful virus? No, it was for IKEA!! I'm speechless.

Rosalyn69 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:01:30

I like Ikea fir bits and bobs but I wouldn’t queue. Why on Earth...?
I just don’t understand people. Maybe they really all need to go back to work if they are treating this lock down as a holiday.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jun-20 16:09:05

Let’s be charitable though. Maybe these people have just moved in and are having to sit on beer crates with not even an Asatilda cushion between them and the bones of their backsides.

MadCatWoman1 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:11:14

Absolute madness. It will be the same (for those same morons) when McDonald's open.

Doodledog Tue 02-Jun-20 16:41:31

I need new blinds for my bathroom and upstairs loo, and would also prefer not to have to screw anything in, so would also be interested in magnetic ones. Luckygirl if these are not suitable, have you considered velcro?

Boz Tue 02-Jun-20 16:47:09

I only buy Orchid Phalaenopsis from Ikea. About £5 for a single and £8 for a double; always lovely and fresh and long lasting. We only go when we occasionally pass the door on the way somewhere else. You can nip in past the tills and straight to the plant dept.. In and out in a flash, because I can't stand the place but love a bargain. But not at the moment. Buying cut flowers from a small outlet; in and out in a flash is all I do. Actual shopping is horrible atm

Craftycat Wed 03-Jun-20 10:01:26

I can't go into Ikea as there are no windows & I get claustrophobic. Big relief as I don't like the shop.
My DH loves shopping & queued outside The Range yesterday for an hour to collect something he had ordered & paid for online to find he could have walked in to their pick up point!!

Torbroud Wed 03-Jun-20 10:05:13

Idiot's

ctussaud Wed 03-Jun-20 10:10:29

Yes, their orchids are very well priced, and similar to my local Tesco as well.
I almost always buy their packs of scissors; not hugely sharp but were 3 for £1 as I recall. I try always to have a pair of scissors in the pot of biros and pencils in every room. Love to know where they all have gone to, though!
Only gripe is the bedding, in continental sizes so nothing ever fits the beds or duvets properly.

Poppyred Wed 03-Jun-20 10:10:49

Love Ikea - DH hates it! We live 2 hours away from the nearest one, so don’t get to go very often. I would not queue for hours on end to get to one though!

Camelotclub Wed 03-Jun-20 10:11:51

Their Daim chocs in a tube are very nice.

Camelotclub Wed 03-Jun-20 10:14:45

Craftycat
I get claustrophobia too and last time we went to IKEA M/Keynes I came over a little queer (!) and one of the nice assistants said I could stand on a fire escape looking out onto the car park. Felt OK after that, knowing there was daylight just outside (obviously but it did help).

Phloembundle Wed 03-Jun-20 10:15:05

Those people are a species I don't recognise.

Taliya Wed 03-Jun-20 10:19:05

Some waited over 3 hours in the queue in blistering hot weather...insane!

Thecatshatontgemat Wed 03-Jun-20 10:20:30

But we're British.
We love a good queue.
Probably just indulging in our national pass time....... ?

charleygran Wed 03-Jun-20 10:24:01

??

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 10:25:05

???

polnan Wed 03-Jun-20 10:26:38

lol you have made me laugh here, and I so need that.

yes, someone mentioned McDonalds, queues there also, and for icecream, and to go into supermarkets.. well nothing else to do is there.. think about it!

and yes, as someone said... too many need to get back to work..

oh dear!

4allweknow Wed 03-Jun-20 10:27:27

They would be after the frozen meatballs! Given the queues at McD when the drive through opened seems people can't live without their special foods. Can you imagine the queues once pubs open.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 10:30:32

Luckygirl

The magnetic blinds have a slot top, so they can be put up with one of the springy curtain poles, if they're going inside a recess.

Paperbackwriter Wed 03-Jun-20 10:31:10

I'm quite fond of Ikea but I wouldn't want to go right now. You can get all their stuff online anyway so why bother? I'm not going out there and risking my health for tea lights and a bumper pack of Dime (sorry, Daim) bars!

Florida12 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:41:06

Yes this queue was 45 minutes to get into the car park, and a further 3 hours in the standing queue waiting to get in.
I can’t stand the place I went once and came out with some teaspoons. The queue to get out was horrendous and that was a good few years ago.

kitnsimon Wed 03-Jun-20 10:41:39

what sad people they are !!!

patricia1958 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:44:11

Well I'd hate to be in that queue it's a good thing their selling toilet roll everyone will need it by the time they get in

Annaram1 Wed 03-Jun-20 10:51:14

When we lived in Canada we furnished our flat with items from Ikea. We thought their things were lovely and very cheap compared to other shops in Vancouver. But I don't need anything here in England so I am not going to queue anyway. Good luck to them!

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 10:56:23

It doesn't affect anyone else, so good for them.

Not my idea of a day out, though.