Gransnet forums

Chat

Anniversary of the coronation of the queen 2 june 1953

(19 Posts)
lemsip Tue 02-Jun-20 11:10:41

I remember going to a cousins house as a child to watch the coronation on television as we didn't have one! 67 years ago

MiniMoon Tue 02-Jun-20 11:19:07

My grandfather bought a television just so they could watch the coronation. He was one of the first people in the town to own a tv, and his living room was packed with neighbours. I was there, but dont remember any of it as I was only eighteen months old.

glammanana Tue 02-Jun-20 11:26:36

I was 3 at the time and my daddy was very poorly in bed with mumps he was fed a constant supply of blamamgue and jelly poor man.
We where all given a tiny teaspoon and I still have mine to this day.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Jun-20 11:27:11

Gosh yes. I do remember watching the Coronation, on a tiny television screen, with my family and some if the neighbours. We were given a small, red covered book, with lots of photographs, from school to commemorate the occasion, that I still have tucked away somewhere.

annsixty Tue 02-Jun-20 11:40:23

It was very wet day and not very warm.
I was 15 and after watching it on a neighbours television we younger ones gathered in the market place of the village I lived in.
I am sure I have posted this before, I was kissed by my friend‘s brother Tom, who was 18, in a shop doorway.
Thar was far more exciting than the coronation.

annodomini Tue 02-Jun-20 11:42:44

I was 12 and a half. We had a television - remember the size ot those screens? Nowadays we have tablets bigger than those. Imagine half the neighbourhood crammed into our sitting room, trying to get a view of the screen. It wasn't raining in Ayrshire and in the afternoon, I cycled to the football ground where there was to be a pageant, organised by my uncle, the town's provost. In an early scene, I was an ancient Briton, clad in a sack; later, I was a lady in Mary Queen of Scots' court. I can't remember the rest of the show, but it was fun to be a part of it.

Calendargirl Tue 02-Jun-20 11:43:07

A girl in my class at primary school was born on Coronation Day, and the council gave her commemorative cups and spoons.
I always envied her those items! I had a comm teaspoon, but mine didn’t seem so exciting somehow, she was a local celebrity as a baby!

Calendargirl Tue 02-Jun-20 11:45:27

You minx annsixty!

Only joking!

Isn’t it funny how things like that stay with you?

grumppa Tue 02-Jun-20 12:35:48

I was nine, and we took a taxi to a family friend who had a television. The room was packed.

The county council produced a souvenir book for schoolchildren called “Royalty in Essex”, a slim volume.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 12:48:24

I've just read a description of it by one of the Maids of Honour, Lady Anne Glenconner.
A fascinating insight.

annsixty grin

silverlining48 Tue 02-Jun-20 14:01:50

I was 5, theres a ( tiny) photo of me running in a race in our road, looked like i was coming third, but it rained so we all went into the hall nearby to finish the day.
We didnt have a tv, nor did anyone else, but i was given a coronation spoon which i still have.

silverlining48 Tue 02-Jun-20 14:04:24

Actually i was still 4, not that it matters, but makes my third in the race a small achievement, never to be repeated!

SueDonim Tue 02-Jun-20 15:16:12

I wasn’t born at the time of the queen’s coronation but the family lore is that my parents had planned to be in London for the day with my older brother and sister.

In the event, they ended up driving in the opposite direction from all the crowds - my sister had developed Scarlet Fever and they had to take her to an isolation hospital!

trisher Tue 02-Jun-20 16:00:24

I was 7. We had a TV, according to my mum bought to watch the Coronation, according to my dad bought to watch Stanley Matthews in the cup final! All the family came round. I got a coronation t-spoon and mug from school, a red white and blue ball and there was a Coronation tin of toffees to pass round. I watched some of it but I got bored and went to sit in the back porch to play with my toys.

Welshwife Tue 02-Jun-20 16:47:40

We watched it on TV with neighbours and I remember both mums making copious sandwiches and wrapping them in grease proof paper and putting them in biscuit tins to keep fresh! My mum made cakes too.
The street parties and races etc were held on another day and everyone in the road went on hired double decker for a tour around all the decorations. London had never looked so good!

maddyone Tue 02-Jun-20 19:27:42

I was three months old, so consequently I have no memory of it at all.

Grannybags Tue 02-Jun-20 21:20:47

I was one on 4th July 1952. My four older siblings were all at school and were given free souvenir Coronation mugs.

There was a time in my life when I was very jealous I didn't have one!

Deedaa Tue 02-Jun-20 21:35:03

I was seven. I think I have a vague memory of going to London to see the decorations and at school we were given a coronation spoon and a very small tin of chocolates. We went to my grandparents to watch it on their television. Because we were going to be there all day we took our new kitten with us (what an insane idea! Why did we do ir?) The kitten got lost inside grandad's sofa and we nearly missed the coronation taking the sofa apart to get him out!

watermeadow Wed 03-Jun-20 12:52:09

I was seven and had just come home to England after five years abroad.
We had a television and were told to watch the coronation as it was important but it was terribly boring and went on for hours. My fury was complete when an aunt took my brothers to London to see the decorations and left me behind.