Gransnet forums

Chat

Hi, how are you?

(62 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Tue 02-Jun-20 15:28:45

Just wanted to say hello and chat to you all. I am in some pain (as always), so I am going to have a nice hot chocolate and I am listening to relaxing music on Youtube on the television. Hope you're all well.
Love,
FlyingHandbagflowers

Aldom Wed 03-Jun-20 10:47:37

Hi flyinghandbag & Pinkcake and all. I left you a message Pinkcake on your original post. Glad you like fish finger sandwiches too. Coffee toast and Marmalade for breakfast, always use butter. What about everyone else re butter or spread. It's drizzling here in the SE, cooler but not cold. Gardener here early to cut the grass. The drizzle is very welcome for the garden, but could do with proper rain. Have a good day everyone.

Beloulou Wed 03-Jun-20 10:49:31

flyinghandbags, the yellow one is honeydew, I think. Iets difficult to find a tasty one in the UK, but I’ve eaten them in Greece, where they were properly ripe, and it was scrumptious.

Mollyplop Wed 03-Jun-20 11:10:07

Raining here in Notts but not too cool. Means I will have to do some indoor chores todaywink

JeannieB44 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:43:19

Not a fan of very hot weather but cannot do without my hot chocolate. Cooler day today and a few showers. Hope you are all well too. x

Aepgirl Wed 03-Jun-20 11:57:53

Good morning. Very overcast here in Berkshire. About 6 drops of rain - not enough to do any good. Couple of telephone chats with friends, ironing done (ugh),

Moggycuddler Wed 03-Jun-20 11:59:10

Hi! I feel a bit miserable and tired today. I have a chronic back problem and I'm almost always in some degree of pain. It's very wearing. Anybody remember a hot milky drink called Bengers? (I think that was the spelling.) My mum used to have it when I was little. Haven't heard of it or seen it in many, many years.

Theoddbird Wed 03-Jun-20 12:02:42

Love your user name. Hope your pain eases soon. I have just got back from getting my click and collect at Sainsbury's. I now have to load it into my little wagon and pull it to my boat. Will then be coffee and a scone for me. Enjoy your day

Taichinan Wed 03-Jun-20 12:10:19

Hi flyinghandbag. I hope your chronic pain is more bearable today and you have another hot chocolate in your sights for later. Or even for now. I've discovered time has no meaning during lockdown! Had my first real howl of lockdown today as I received the most beautiful photo card of my DD and her two DDs . I was so touched and happy and it just triggered a wellspring of emotion in me. Apart from the warmth now in my heart, it's really cold here in NE Scotland today and, by the looks of it, for the rest of the week. But it has been so lovely and the garden so needed all that rain last night. Don't know what I want for lunch, but I wish I had some fish fingers in - they sound lovely!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 03-Jun-20 12:15:15

More how than a couple of days ago, thank you, Flyinghandbag.

I'm recovering from having both ovaries removed due to a benign cyst and the scar has been giving my gyp, but is knitting and troubling me less.

I'm sorry to hear you are always in pain, it is so shockingly tiring, isn't it? Any chance of being referred to a good department for pallitative medicine after the lockdown eases? Perhaps you should have a word with your GP? Often prescribed medicines can work against each other, you know, so ask him to check what is in anything you are on.

mrswoo Wed 03-Jun-20 12:17:16

Aldom since I started Slimming World early this year I've started using "Light* cheese triangles instead of butter or Flora type spread. You get a daily allowance of some cheeses eg 30g cheddar or 2 Babybel or 5 Light cheese triangles. I've got quite addicted to the cheese triangles now and they are a pretty good substitute for butter.

FlyingHandbag Wed 03-Jun-20 12:56:14

grandtanteJE65 that is such a shame. I hope you recover well. Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't palliative care for people at the end of their lives? X

Buntie123 Wed 03-Jun-20 13:13:33

like a massive cuddle x

travelsafar Wed 03-Jun-20 13:34:37

I often have one of those premeasured cups of hot choc around lunchtime. It is comforting and stops me feeling peckish. I don't bother with lunch, just a cuppa at 3pm with a couple of rich tea biscuits. That takes me through to my evening meal around 6pm. I do have a good breakfast , fresh fruit, greek yog and walnuts. The high protein yog keeps me feeling full. Hot chocolate used to be a real treat when i was a child, in fact i think it may have been cococa made with full fat milk, yummy. smile

Aldom Wed 03-Jun-20 13:45:17

flyinghandbag Palliative care is for life limiting conditions. End of life care, for people who are nearing the end of their lives. Thinking of everyone who is in pain.

PinkCakes Wed 03-Jun-20 14:01:20

I only ever have proper butter, the sort in a block. I really need to lose weight, but I start a diet, lose a stone, then gradually go back to eating sweet things again. I had some chocolate biscuits earlier, AND a piece of cake.

FlyingHandbag Wed 03-Jun-20 14:07:28

I'm not nearing the end of my life I hope. X

Barmeyoldbat Wed 03-Jun-20 14:10:17

Pinkcakes, we always have unsalted proper butter, Mr B on salt reduce diet because of kidney problems, but I went out and bought a block of salted farmhouse butter, just for me and its lovely on hot white toast.
Anyway bit of a drizzle today and in normal times we would go out on our bikes, meet some friends and have lunch. So today went out collected my meds (painkillers) and bought two take away coffees and lunch, salad etc. to have at home and pretend we are out. now having a very lazy afternoon.

Furret Wed 03-Jun-20 14:16:38

polnan hope you feel better today.

Furret Wed 03-Jun-20 14:17:28

FH you too x

Bluecat Wed 03-Jun-20 16:21:09

Moggycuddler, I remember Bengers. My mum drank it sometimes. I thought it was horrible. She was very partial to Horlicks and I didn't like that either.

Rosina Wed 03-Jun-20 16:36:22

Hope you feel better today FlyingHandbag and tht your pain is under control. Do you have any flowers at home? I find they help a lot as their beauty and scent are uplifting, even if it is just one bloom from the garden with a sprig of greenery. I went out yesterday and waited in the queue at the pharmacy; the friendly lady who works there said 'Oh hello! How are you?' I started to weep - I have no idea why, there is no dreadful problem apart from the worries we all have about our lives at the moment, but it does demonstrate what isolating can do. I am not alone at home, and thought I was fine but this weird life is getting at me without my realising it. I send my very best wishes to you , and perhaps you have had some hot chocolate today - it's certainly a lot cooler here! xx

NannyC2 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:44:53

Music is a great relaxant, Flying Handbag. Well, that is a certain type of music. I confess I do not like a lot of the 'thump, thump' noise the younger generation seem to enjoy!
Hope your pain eases x

Jennyluck Wed 03-Jun-20 17:27:46

It’s been raining all day here. Got so used to being in the garden all day, keeping my gs occupied. So today has been a trial keeping him entertained ?

CBBL Wed 03-Jun-20 17:49:37

A cool day and a welcome change for hubby and I, as it has been far too hot for us recently. A little rain for the garden too! The fruit trees and the strawberries badly need more rain - but days and days of grey skies are depressing, I agree.

Daisyboots Wed 03-Jun-20 22:29:37

Aldom I do wish I hadn't seen your post as it has really upset me. I have stage 4 metastatic breast cancer and I see the palliative care doctor for nerve pain due to the metastases. But I am not nearing the end of my life according to my oncologist.