Gransnet forums

Chat

A bit cross!

(44 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 22:47:16

I had an email and letter from the school today,which says as from Monday, pupils must wear full uniform.

Failure to do so will result in the child being kept in the lobby, and arrangements being made to send them straight home.

Now, grandsons uniform most definitely won't fit him, so where am I supposed to go on Sunday to buy it all again?

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 16:04:36

I got the impression that someone had rattled off the letter in a fit of anger.

I expect it's hard, being unpaid babysitters.

Eloethan Thu 04-Jun-20 15:57:05

Perhaps they are hoping that some parents who are already uncertain about the wisdom of sending children back to school, will, having been presented with this new problem, decide not to bother.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 15:35:09

That seems much more sensible, in so many ways.

I shall be rattling the doors of the charity shops to get in, Bluebelle, as soon as they reopen; they're my favourite shops!
Thanks for the reminder about cancelling prime, I've also forgotten to do it, before.

Dancinjay Thu 04-Jun-20 15:30:16

My friend works at one of the local primary schools and they have said that children should not go in their school uniform, but that staff and pupils should wear clothes that are easy to wash and dry so that they can change as soon as they get home and put what they had been wearing straight into the washing machine.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 15:24:25

I'm neither fish nor fowl with regards to other parents, I'm afraid.

Grandson came from a different catchment area to live with me, and it took all my energy to just sort out everything.

I don't go out, apart from work, so I haven't got to know anyone.

MamaCaz Thu 04-Jun-20 12:15:35

I'm afraid that I would be so furious with this ureasonable order that there is absolutely no way I would comply!

MissAdventure - I don't suppose the school has a Facebook or Twitter page where parents and guardians can comment on this, is there, and share their feelings, possibly even agreeing en masse to disobey it?
Strength in numbers, as they say!

I'm willing to bet that almost 100% of parents feel as you do about it.

BlueBelle Thu 04-Jun-20 12:08:10

I know it’s not relevant at the moment as they are shut but our charity shop sells all our local school (logo) items very cheaply
£2.50 for logo blazers or coats £1.50 for logo skirts T-shirt’s and jumperS etc 50p for everything else Of course it’s not foolproof we don’t have every size or may not have the right logo at the right time but it s well worth a look and I can verify a lot of what we get is brand new with tags (still the same price) or not noticabley been worn

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 11:57:01

3Nanny6 in Wales children will return to school on 29th June, but not all at the same time.
One third of pupils will return at a time, in turn, so that they can 'touch base' (not my words) for 6 or 7 days and the term will be extended by one week.

In some schools that means that over 500 pupils will be in school at any one time. Many will have to travel by public transport.

I don't know any more eg about uniforms etc.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jun-20 11:56:45

I've always bought the school uniform too Maw grannie's privilege! grin From September 2021, GS will be starting school too so the 2nd hand route will have to be investigated then.

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 11:48:58

Chewbacca there really needs to be some concerted action by the parents - do they not have a WhatsApp group?
It would be easy enough to set up a “uniform exchange” for good quality uniform which children have merely grown out of.
Young parents are usually very savvy about “preloved” or second hand equipment in good condition, regardless of financial circumstances.
When D1 started at her independent secondary I innocently “bit the bullet” and bought her uniform new. Almost as soon as term started I found that every body else including some very well-heeled mums, took their daughters’ out grown uniform to and bought the next year’s from the school second hand shop! I never bought another new item from then on for all three girls apart from shoes and the occasional games shirt!

3nanny6 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:45:14

I know this is a post about getting a school uniform ready so I do not know much about that but it sounds silly to me especially since the school will break up really soon for the summer holidays. There is no point getting complete uniform and expensive shoes for a couple of weeks and the child to have outgrown them by September.

I am wondering if anyone knows what is happening about schools in Wales. I heard information on T.V. programme that "All" schools in Wales and "All" children will return to school at the end of June. They will all attend school for one month and then break up for summer holidays. What does that mean and are they doing that without any social distancing? Surely this is wrong information and all school children in Wales cannot return at the same time.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 11:45:04

DD has a friend whose 3 DC attend the same senior school as my DGC. Because they changed the uniform she had to buy 3 lots at a cost of about £1,000.
Of course, being new, there were no hand me downs or 2nd hand uniform shop.
It is not an Academy.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jun-20 11:41:30

midgey my GD, aged 7, attends an ordinary, none academy affiliated primary school and every item of her school uniform has the school logo on it. You can, if you wish, purchase the embroidered school badges and then sew them yourself onto high street purchased shirts, polo shirts and jumpers but they're almost as expensive as buying the items from the school itself. A full school uniform for this last year, including summer dresses that will not now be worn, cost over £250.

BlueBelle Thu 04-Jun-20 11:37:19

MissAdventure don’t forget to cancel prime or else you ll be paying a monthly fee sometimes without realising I did for a year never noticed it luckily when I did I complained and got it back

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 11:34:26

So what about those schools which are not Academies but insist on the same strict uniform rules midgey?

midgey Thu 04-Jun-20 11:27:26

What a ridiculous idea, in my book sums up Academies! Good luck MissA.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 11:26:33

There'll be a few with their blazer sleeves up their arms.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 11:16:21

Me too.
It felt like hours, I had to stand still.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 11:03:06

Ouch!

I remember having to stand on a stool while Mum pinned dresses on me before she sewed them.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 10:56:40

Yes.
He'll be pinned, stuffed and forced into some sort of order. smile

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 10:55:10

I think they are expecting too much.
Let's hope that they still fit him in September!

Can you stuff cottonwool in the toes of the shoes if they're too big?
That hemming web is great for turning up trousers.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 10:41:31

Well, my poor purse is now about £200 lighter.
2 shirts, 2 trousers (which I'm not sure will fit) and a pair of shoes have been ordered.

I've had to join Amazon prime so the shoes will come today, and the uniform shop have said they will try to prioritise the trousers/shirts order.

If they aren't here in time then he won't be going, but him being home while I work is, sadly, nothing new.

I checked the letter, and it says "in preparation" for the return to school.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 09:27:50

Superfluous or sorry!

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 09:27:00

Definitely stress the H&S aspect of wearing clean clothes every day, MissA.

You won't be the only one who is annoyed or upset by this stupid ruling.

I'm not sure what being an academy or not has to do with it; Schools here are extremely strict about uniform, including the wearing of blazers, and we have no academies in Wales.

Thank you for starting this thread, MissA and or those who have mentioned the importance of wearing clean clothes each day.

sodapop Thu 04-Jun-20 09:00:39

I agree MissAdventure it seems petty and unnecessary. I would certainly be talking to someone about this. Wearing a blazer which cannot be laundered is a health hazard in the current situation.