Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Sat 06-Jun-20 06:12:29

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another blue sky start with wind as well this morning in Brackley .
Today , a quiet day in, maybe a Chinese take away later.
Yesterdays supermarket que seems to have become non existence, about 8-10 people waiting to go in , where 11 weeks or so it was never ending .
Be nice to get back to normal routine but that could be months away the way things are out there .
Take Care
Mick

mancgirl Sat 06-Jun-20 22:49:14

Oops. Thank you for putting me right and making me feel better. Mixture of guilt and excitement! ?

Marydoll Sat 06-Jun-20 20:37:49

mancgirl , * Urmstston* said you would have been crucified.

I'm assuming that she means that this is a supportive thread and no-one would criticise you on here.
No need to worry! smile

Scentia Sat 06-Jun-20 19:53:25

manc. I think Urmstongran was speaking hypothetically if you re read it!!!

mancgirl Sat 06-Jun-20 19:43:42

Urmston bit late but on which posts have I been crucified? Only tend to read the good morning thread because it's so pleasant and positive. I'd like a chance to reply!

Urmstongran Sat 06-Jun-20 17:37:18

Thanks to all who have posted to say they enjoy my early morning ‘tales from Spain’. I honestly wasn’t looking for praise. I just wondered if all the myriad details I was supplying were somehow just too much some days!

I blame it all on the very strict 8 week lockdown when I didn’t go any further than the end of the landing. Being allowed out - and now with extra freedoms (so much more than the U.K.) - is just wonderful.

I am aware that some days I do seem to write a lot though. I shall be mindful that sometimes a journal isn’t necessary! I blame the excess detail on my Virgoan nature ...
??

dragonfly46 Sat 06-Jun-20 17:07:35

Good afternoon every one so sorry I am late today.

Congratulations on the new addition Mancgirl so exciting.

No don't shorten your posts Urmston we are all living vicariously through you. I can almost feel the warmth.

Welcom whoisthis.

Went for a walk this afternoon and got absolutely drenched.

whoisthis Sat 06-Jun-20 15:34:02

Thank you Charleygirl15. No DH never did finish the decorating. He was only saying this morning that he would call
someone in to finish the job. He has never been good at DIY.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jun-20 14:22:09

Welcome *whoisthis". As I said in another post it is easy once you get started as you have!

Did your DH ever finish the decorating?!

whoisthis Sat 06-Jun-20 14:11:09

Good afternoon from Surrey, This is my first post, I have enjoyed reading all the posts . Well I have just finished tidying up the spare room my husband started decorating 3 weeks ago where everything ended up on the bed, now enjoying a well earned cup of tea. Hoping to go for a long walk later.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:30:42

Has anyone else noticed that connor hasn't posted on this thread for several weeks, hope all is well with her.

Daisyboots Sat 06-Jun-20 12:39:19

Good morning (just about) from an overcast west coast of Portugal.
Congratulations on the birth of your grandson mancgirl . You did what was needed with your DGS just as my DD did when my latest GGD was born in April.
I do hope the steroids help with your pain Marydoll until it is safe for you to go into hospital. There is nothing worse or debilitating than chronic pain.
Urmstongran please don't stop your lovely descriptive posts about your life in Malaga. I almost feel I am there as well.
I am from London and our family have always used the term glory hole too. When I was a teenager my mum would tell me to tidy my bedroom because it was becoming a glory hole.
Well I suppose I should get up and dressed and do domething useful this afternoon. Have a good weekend everyone despite the weather.

Mapleleaf Sat 06-Jun-20 11:02:01

Good morning all,

I haven't read through all the posts yet as I want to post before mid day ?.

Congratulations mancgirl you must be thrilled. ?

I was also going to suggest trying fresh parsley to chew scentia as it is supposed to get rid of the smell of garlic. Worth a try if you have some.

It's very breezy here today, and light rain showers are forecast between sunny intervals. At the moment it is still dry. It got very windy through the night, disturbed me more than once!
I was going to trim the front hedge a bit today, but it's too breezy, so it will have to wait a day or two until calmer conditions arrive.

I hope today is a good one, take care and stay safe.
I'll catch up with all the posts now. ?

gillgran Sat 06-Jun-20 10:53:06

Good Morning from a wet, windy & cool N.,Cambs.,
So cool that the heating came on earlier.!

Congratulations to Mancgirl on the safe arrival of your new grandson.
I've just discovered that this is the kindest post on GN.

(I commented on a different post yesterday, & was 'ridiculed', so I won't be doing that again). sad.

Urmstongran, & all other 'regulars', I love reading your posts, they cheer this rather boring, old gran up, so thank you all. flowers.

Take Care Folks

Taichinan Sat 06-Jun-20 10:50:23

Morning all. The sun doth shine and the wind doth blow and the rain doth rain - no snow yet!) on the Angus coast. Had a lovely garden catch-up with a friend on Thursday which lasted all of 45 mins before rain and wind stopped play. I felt so inhospitable not being able to say let's go inside - but that will come I'm sure. I have always had a gloryhole - it's one of life's essentials! - although I'm careful not to use the term in mixed-generational company ?. I also have a glory drawer in the kitchen which is indispensable. I love clearing it out because there's always a prodigal something to come to light. Nothing planned for what looks to be a pretty mis. few days ahead weatherwise. But it's just the beginning of June, so there must be more lovely days to come. Enjoy your day in whatever way you can everyone. ???

Roses Sat 06-Jun-20 10:48:20

Congratulations Mancgirl ! A new baby boy so happy for you

Purplepixie Sat 06-Jun-20 10:28:05

Good morning from a very wet and windy East Midlands.

Congratulations Mancgirl - a new baby is so wonderful!

Another day of trying to keep busy and feeling like screaming but hey I am not alone.

Stay safe and sane. X

Gelisajams Sat 06-Jun-20 10:26:52

Good morning from a breezy dry Morecambe Bay.
Congratulations Mancgran on you new little GS. Our next door but one neighbour was expecting a baby boy at the end of May, but as far as I know he hasn’t arrived yet. I don’t see them much, especially at the moment, but at the end of April I asked when she was due. I started to crochet a pram blanket for her but it’s still not finished. I’d better get a wiggle on!
Take care and stay safe everyone.?

EllanVannin Sat 06-Jun-20 10:25:21

Good Morning All x

It's not a bit like Summer here in the NW. Gales yesterday and through the night which disturbed me at 4am, even the cats were unsettled. Then I heard doors of a vehicle being shut so looked out and saw the ambulance to the old man in the next road. He suffers falls so I imagine he took a tumble again for the 2nd time this week.

The other night they were there for 2 hours with him probably made him a cup of tea to avoid taking him to hospital providing no damage was done. The paramedics here are wonderful and so patient.

Still windy here but I don't need to venture out today. I was sorry to have missed the twins Birthdays yesterday as D phoned to say she'd got all kinds of goodies including a cake from M&S, so just themselves no friends, so disappointing on your 14th Birthday when friends matter at that age sad

D popped around to collect their cards and money----through the back kitchen window ! That got me down somewhat so I was both upset and also fuming but realised this is how it's got to be, but it's difficult.

Some joy with the arrival of Mancgirl's new GS, though again, from a distance but being fit and well is the main thing. x flowers

I think Marydoll's deserving of some flowers too being " under-cover " for so long. Many of us have been able to get out and about.

Hope you feel a bit better today Harrigran x

Anyone else who's off-colour I hope things improve as the day goes on.

Back on the crumpets again as I was able to get some yesterday, only 1 pkt though so hopefully more next week.

Reading Urmston's post I was there, in my mind, enjoying the delights of being in that café and taking in all the sights and sounds of a balmy evening in Malaga. Brilliant.

Sun's out here now but that wind is still stiff at times with the sudden gusts and it's none too warm either.
Anyway, the continued message of stay safe and I wish you all a pleasant day whatever you do.xx

Bellasnana Sat 06-Jun-20 10:16:57

Good morning from Malta where it is blowing a gale and has been since yesterday. My poor plants.sad

Many congratulations to mancgirl on the new arrival. How lucky you are! I still have just the one DGD who is 9 now and lives in the US so I don’t see her very often apart from on FaceTime.

Urmston it sounds as if you have similar precautions in place to ours in Malta. DD3 and I had lunch out a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. All very social distanced and sanitised!

Hairdresser this morning, although in this wind I might as well not bother! At least it will be clean though.

Wishing everyone as good a day as possible.☀️?

Taichinan Sat 06-Jun-20 10:16:37

Congratulations on the arrival of your new grandson, Mancgirl. How wonderful!

Urmstongran Sat 06-Jun-20 10:14:23

You’d have been crucified on some of the GN threads mancgirl for breaking the rules.
?

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 06-Jun-20 10:08:09

Good morning from east London, sun was out but clouds have now rolled over, wind is blowing and it’s cool. Strange weather yesterday, managed nearly 2 sets of tennis before being chased off the courts by rain and by the time I arrived home feeling soggy, it was dry again. Our walk in the afternoon started off in the sun, coats and jumpers went back on again within 10 minutes then by the time we got across the marshes to the Olympic park, we were able to have a beer and coffee in the sunshine standing by the canal next to Here East (a newish business area in the Park). And the midgies had calmed down on the way home. DS has offered to cook a meal later on today (sometimes his late can be an early breakfast); he did check last night if I minded a chicken stock cube if he had to use one and now knows what’s in the tin labelled vegetable stock powder.
Haven’t got a clue what I might do today; seem to have spent a lot of time looking out the window watching the weather change. I still refer to cupboards under the stairs as glory holes which mystifies DP; wonder if it’s a northern word. My older DB and DS terrified me when I was little by telling me of the the things that could be lurking in ours and that might come out in the dark.

Congrats, mancgirl, baby news is happy news and hope everyone can smile today.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:57:17

Sar53 I have sent you a PM

mancgirl Sat 06-Jun-20 09:52:59

Thank you for the good wishes everyone. Must admit feel slightly guilty that we have broken some of the rules but so enjoyed having the big brother here and having some hugs!

gillybob Sat 06-Jun-20 09:51:31

Good morning from a very wet, windy and cold NE coast. It seems that we have been thrust back into winter.

Huge congratulations on the birth of your baby grandson Mancgirl I’m so happy for you all . smile

I love to read your posts Urms . You always paint a lovely picture and I confess to being a teensy bit envy of your wonderful lifestyle. smile

Just wondering what a “glory hole” is Marydoll ? Is it a kind of secret cupboard ?

Had a socially distanced cup of tea with my DS yesterday when he arrived at my back gate . I’ve barely seen him since March so I was very worried when he showed up unannounced and I thought “oh dear, what now ?” It kept raining on and off so it was a bit of a fiasco diving in and out of the shed . It was lovely to see him but I’m still worried that there was something he was hoping to talk about but just couldn’t get around to it .

I will have another catch up with the thread with my 3rd cuppa of the morning and wish you all as good a Saturday as possible .
Love Gillybob xx