Gransnet forums

Chat

Scrabble on-line. What has happened to it!!

(16 Posts)
Grammaretto Wed 10-Jun-20 19:53:17

Help! I can't find it anymore. Even though I loathe the new format, I'm having withdrawal symptoms.
Where has it disappeared to?
Who was supporting it?
There are a plethora of games - mostly silly looking - but not anything resembling scrabble.

dragonfly46 Sat 06-Jun-20 16:59:11

I play Words with Friends 2

kittylester Sat 06-Jun-20 16:53:41

I play Words with Friends with a couple of people but just dti k to the straight forward games.

Grammaretto Sat 06-Jun-20 16:50:33

Missedout Ha Ha! I was about to put my gripe on the pedants thread.
I really do miss the old format even if the "Scrabble words" are fairly ridiculous.
Like you Bluebelle I have any number of games going at once. I have made at least one friend over the years.
I don't care who wins (too much) and I have accepted words like ZE and QI and OK
I can wind down with a game to exercise my brain a little.
I shall look at Classic words.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 15:39:01

It’s playing with others from all over the world I love personally I find it a bit boring against 5he computer Jackie in all these word games you just look for someone similar to yourself or let the commuter choose for you It’s much more fun and what matters if you lose no one knows you

Missedout Sat 06-Jun-20 15:36:51

I'm sorry, I put the last 'closing' bracket in the wrong place. I thought I should apologise on a thread about the use of language, even if not actually a thread for pedants! grin

Missedout Sat 06-Jun-20 15:32:11

I like Classic Words too but only ever play against the computer. Like Lisagran, I wish that there was the option to change to an English dictionary. However, Scrabble as I used to know it has evolved as has the language we use, like it or not.

BL (before lockdown), we (DH and I) spent an evening with some acquaintances. They brought a Scrabble board with them and proceeded to trounce us. They used American spelling, all the newly 'allowed' Scrabble words - there are now over 100 2 letter words in the English (2019 SOWPODS also known as the Collins Scrabble Words dictionary), ew, joined the list recently.

Are we poor losers? You bet we are! I'll stick with beating the Classic Words computer using my, old-fashioned english.

Furret Sat 06-Jun-20 14:42:57

Yes there is.

Lisagran Sat 06-Jun-20 13:56:43

JackyB I read about Classic Words on here and play it occasionally - offline. But most of the words used are American? Or is there a UK setting?

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 13:30:03

Are you talking about Scrabbke Go well I love it I heard about in on here I d been playing a different word game and I love Scabble Go you can ignore the pixies and other what nots I ve got 27 games on the go at the moment it’s so much better than the other one I play WORD as it seems so much less time to wait for your opponent to make a move Word is much slower I love that I can always get a few games on the go whatever time of day or night

JackyB Sat 06-Jun-20 13:27:46

Sorry, meant to say that the look is identical to the board game. No bells or whistles.

JackyB Sat 06-Jun-20 13:27:03

After someone here recommended it, I've been trying Classic Words. Haven't dared log in and play online yet, though. How do I know who to challenge?

I am getting fed up with the offline version as the computer doesn't seem to have much idea of strategy.

boheminan Sat 06-Jun-20 13:24:49

PS: I'll be dusting down the old box of Scrabble and playing that again

boheminan Sat 06-Jun-20 13:22:22

I've just come off of giving Scrabble Go a tryout, don't think I'll be tempted, it will take a lot of getting used to after original Scrabble. Also tried Words With Friends 2, which is closer to the old Scrabble game. I'll miss my daily dose of Scrabble sad

pensionpat Sat 06-Jun-20 13:13:43

I’ve had to download the new one. We shall get used to it I expect.

Grammaretto Sat 06-Jun-20 13:11:34

I knew they were going to launch a new look scrabble with a new company but why does it have to be so awful? It's the very worst looking app imaginable, all pixies and candyfloss in pinks and blues.
What happened to the one I was playing yesterday? I despair.