Gransnet forums

Chat

Feel down and foolish.

(17 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Sun 07-Jun-20 15:48:54

Hi all,
The thing I have done most during lockdown is cry about missing relatives. I feel very foolish because of the latest thing to make me cry (this song). It made me remember all the times that I was so happy, with all my family, never expecting something like this (lockdown) to happen, and not seeing them for weeks. I am just glad to have had some socially distanced visits and that I can FaceTime. That is much more fortunate than some. I feel like a selfish b***h for crying about not seeing my relatives when some people have family who are dying in hospital or no family at all. I don't feel I have the right to cry when some are in worse positions than me. I am so sorry for complaining, thanks for listening.
Love and best wishes,
FlyingHandbag. X

grandMattie Sun 07-Jun-20 15:53:40

I’m so sorry. Anything I could say are only platitudes.
Just remember, although the tunnel may be long, there is ALWAYS an end to it. There will be light.
Keep the old chin up and as Julian of Norwich said “All will be well, all will be well, all manner of things will be well”.

FlyingHandbag Sun 07-Jun-20 15:58:44

grandMattie

I’m so sorry. Anything I could say are only platitudes.
Just remember, although the tunnel may be long, there is ALWAYS an end to it. There will be light.
Keep the old chin up and as Julian of Norwich said “All will be well, all will be well, all manner of things will be well”.

Thanks grandMattie. Big hugs. X

MawB Sun 07-Jun-20 16:00:27

Sorry you feel so down Flying handbag
I remember you said back in May that you live with your parents, that must be a comfort to them as well as to you?

lemongrove Sun 07-Jun-20 16:02:08

It’s the same for us all Flying but we can see relatives now, even if just coffee and a chat outside.I think you said that you visited your parents recently?
It won’t be forever this way, and seeing relatives and friends briefly is better than not at all.

MerylStreep Sun 07-Jun-20 16:11:51

I thought you lived with your parents. They were with you on 25th May when you had your fall.
So were your parents visiting or do you live together.

FlyingHandbag Sun 07-Jun-20 16:16:19

We live together. I mean I miss my other relatives. X

MawB Sun 07-Jun-20 16:24:25

Why can’t you see them, Flying Handbag? You can meet up with 5 other people (total 6 , but of course only 3 if your parents are included)
Have you suggested this to any of them?

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 16:48:00

Are you a carer for your parents FlyingH?
That could be stressful for you.

Have you tried yoga and meditation?
It does help.

FlyingHandbag Sun 07-Jun-20 16:48:39

I mean I can't hug them or do anything normal. I feel as if I am in a science fiction film.

FlyingHandbag Sun 07-Jun-20 16:49:12

I'm not a carer, I am frightened to live myself as I fall often.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 16:51:32

We're all in the same boat.

Sometimes it feels as if we're up the creek without a paddle with rapids ahead then we hope we'll reach calmer waters soon.
Hold on, try to see some of your relatives if you can..

MerylStreep Sun 07-Jun-20 16:52:15

FlyingHandbag
Do you mean you don't hug your parents that you live with?

MawB Sun 07-Jun-20 16:53:11

It does seem to be getting to you.
If possible I would suggest meeting up with one or two of your extended family. It will be reassuring for you all to know that you are all well. You can see them and talk to them - hugs are lovely, but we have to go with what is possible don’t we?
So hugs can wait a bit longer. Are you able to get out into the garden or a park? It sounds as if you are getting “cabin fever” shut up indoors - some fresh air might lift your spirits.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 16:53:15

Stress can cause lack of concentration which could then mean you have an accident a trip or a fall.
I try to concentrate more and not rush so much now.

FlyingHandbag Sun 07-Jun-20 17:04:26

I go out into the garden occasionally. I was in the garden yesterday with my cousin. MerylStreep I mean I can't hug my cousins etc. X

MawB Sun 07-Jun-20 17:11:41

It is sad Flying Handbag but if you can see them and talk to them, that will have to do for now. Instead of making yourself unhappier because you can’t hug them, make the most of their company and conversation. Hugging and personal contact are what spreads the virus.
At the risk of comparing your situation with others there are many many here who cannot even see their children, grandchildren or parents in person and may not be able to do so for months.
We are all in it together and having to make the sacrifice so as to not spread this deadly virus.
You would never forgive yourself if you caught it from a visiting family member or passed it your parents, who I assume are in the dangerous age group.
Be patient!