Gransnet forums

Chat

No not me please

(11 Posts)
Sunlover Mon 08-Jun-20 16:46:43

No way. I’ve only been out of teaching for a year so not out of touch. However, why would I want to spend my time with 15 children I don’t know when I’m not allowed to spend time with my grandkids.

Sofa Mon 08-Jun-20 16:32:13

Surely as retired teachers the majority of us will be in the vulnerable category, so it would be foolhardy to go into schools at the present time

silverlining48 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:50:21

The times that i have volunteered i have often felt sidelined and treated as a skivy. Volunteers have a lot to contribute, they give their time freely and for free and should be more valued. Consequently voting with my feet, I left.

Mapleleaf Mon 08-Jun-20 15:49:57

It's not something I would consider. I also wonder what they would propose to pay anyone considering doing it or would they be expecting it to be done for no salary?

EllanVannin Mon 08-Jun-20 15:41:22

That's dreadful BBbevan. Discrimination of the highest order I suspect.

BBbevan Mon 08-Jun-20 15:37:00

I am a retired teacher of 75. I volunteered at a local school. It has not been a good experience. The children were great but the staff mostly ignored me. I would not go into a school again. An extremely disappointing experience.

52bright Mon 08-Jun-20 13:55:20

Another typo ...missed out the word 'be'. Absolute technophobe grin.

52bright Mon 08-Jun-20 13:52:17

loved grin

52bright Mon 08-Jun-20 13:51:28

I am a retired teacher and I can't imagine returning to the classroom. For a start I am a technophobe and they seem to use technology for so many lessons now. No thank you. I love teaching when I was doing it and got a real buzz out of seeing my students achieve and go on to university or jobs and seeing them becoming useful hardworking fulfilled citizens but I am quite sure I would absolutely no help at all in the present circumstances. Good luck to all the current teachers, my daughter among them, trying to do the best they can across all age groups in very difficult circumstances.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jun-20 13:48:00

I suppose if a person feels up to doing this, wants to do it, and has the skills to do it that is OK.

I would imagine there would be more flexibility in terms of hours and duties if an older person wished to help out. I think it is unlikely that they would be expected to prepare and conduct lessons.

LullyDully Mon 08-Jun-20 13:43:50

I just heard someone on the radio 4 news suggesting that retired teachers could be asked to come back to help with getting the children back into school.

I am in my 70s, for a start, so in the at risk group. A while since I worked so the curriculum is bound to have changed, as was the case so often then.

We would all have to have a new DBS check which can take a while.Mine always takes months, I have had a couple since retiring.

I suppose a class of 15 would be an improvement over normal class sizes.

Anyone else game to give it a go?