Gransnet forums

Chat

Should the 2 metre social distancing rule be reduced ?

(46 Posts)
JenniferEccles Wed 10-Jun-20 16:16:17

I have read that we are in the minority with our 2 metre rule with the WHO recommending just 1 metre and many other countries having 1.50 metres.

It would certainly help the situation with shops planning to re-open on Monday and hopefully restaurants and cafes in July.

It may even help the situation with schools.

12Michael Wed 10-Jun-20 16:50:06

The PM BJ is saying something today at 1700 on the daily update .
Mick

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:53:27

Well I’m doing my risk assessment at the moment for a potential reopening in July. I’m a beauty therapist.

So far I haven’t been able to get over this rule. I’ve tried lots of sites. My professional body has lots of advice but I haven’t, as yet, worked out how to treat anyone without touching them!

Anyone out there with very long legs who wants a pedicure?

MerylStreep Wed 10-Jun-20 16:57:19

PamelaJ1
I'm only 5' but I will if you will ?

JenniferEccles Wed 10-Jun-20 17:03:59

PamelaJ1 ?

I had read a couple of weeks ago that it was being considered but I haven’t heard any more.

Yes we all know that the virus is still there but the numbers are coming down so I would have thought that now is the ideal time to change.

We all know that a lot of businesses are really struggling to survive so I do hope it’s being seriously considered.

Tangerine Wed 10-Jun-20 17:33:39

Perhaps pedicures are permitted. Chiropodists are working and some have worked right through lockdown.

I accept that a pedicure is different but it's the same area of the body.

I am uncertain.

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Jun-20 17:33:52

Meryl, shame I haven’t got arms like twizzle?

I do, however have a niece with links to the Dept. Of public health so, hopefully, will be able to get some more useful information from her.

Jennifer, yes we keep hearing things from the government but they aren’t quite comprehensive enough. They blithely tell us we can open but don’t really give us the definitive rules. I suppose that’s so we get sued not them. Cynical? Moi??

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Jun-20 17:35:32

Tangerine, if I can only do pedicures I won’t bother.

Tangerine Wed 10-Jun-20 17:39:30

PamelaJ1 - yes, after I posted, I began to think that it wouldn't be worth opening for just pedicures.

Still, if they said they were permitted, it might feel encouraging and you might feel more positive about the reopening of your salon.

I know health and avoidance of thousands of deaths are very important but it must be so hard for people losing money hand over fist.

12Michael Wed 10-Jun-20 17:45:03

Maybe the " Social Bubble" which if explained properly ,means to single people can meet at one of those households and stay overnight .
Social distancing does not apply.
Mick

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Jun-20 17:55:36

The minister has just said that businesses should follow the Covid secure rules.
That’s OK then??‍♀️

BlueSky Wed 10-Jun-20 18:08:41

They don't mention that where they only observe the 1m/1.5m rule face masks are worn everywhere, in some places even outdoors. Otherwise I wouldn't feel very safe.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jun-20 18:10:29

I did my own pedicure yesterday, thankyou----with the greatest of effort after soaking my feet for nearly 2 hours grin I'll repeat the process in 2 weeks time.

However what does scare me is my own reluctance to go to hospital. I had a pretty bad A/fib " do " this afternoon which lasted nearly 4 hours so I rode it out when normally I'd have been blue-lighted into emergency. Pulse was all over the place.
I'm okay now but feel washed out----and strangely hungry too so a piece of toast and cuppa will suffice.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jun-20 18:12:14

No way will I be going anywhere, least of all hospital when people are still dying of Covid.

BlueSky Wed 10-Jun-20 18:29:11

Ellan sorry to hear must have been scaring. We are reminded not to hesitate to call or visit the emergency services, but obvious we don't want to go there at the moment if we can help it. Hope you are OK now.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jun-20 18:38:18

Aw, thankyou BlueSky, yes I'm getting there thankyou. x I see it as a damned inconvenience as it comes out of the blue. Because it's the whole circulation that's affected it's quite draining but I've got my cup of tea and toast and I should be okay.
If I can avoid hospital well and good. It could have been a different story in the middle of the night though.

Hetty58 Wed 10-Jun-20 18:40:32

The new social bubble situation (where Granny can come and stay overnight) seems to be timed very conveniently.

Just when the government wants people to return to work, with the schools still unable to provide childcare - suddenly, there's concern for 'lonely' people - funny that!

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jun-20 18:41:07

I just don't feel comfortable with this easing though much as I miss the family, especially as children are going to school.

Lucca Wed 10-Jun-20 18:44:50

I can’t see that it matters as people are not doing 2m anyway.
You can see them walking together about 2 feet apart or in the case of most young people , 0 feet apart !

Lucca Wed 10-Jun-20 18:45:22

What Hetty ? Have I missed something ?

Blinko Wed 10-Jun-20 18:45:57

..with our 2 metre rule with the WHO recommending just 1 metre and many other countries having 1.50 metres

Can I suggest that other countries do not have our death rates, nor our ongoing high levels of infections. 39,000 new infections last week, down from 53,000 the previous week. Still way too high in my view.

Let's get these figures down before lessening the 2metres distancing rule.

FarNorth Wed 10-Jun-20 18:52:02

EllanVannin that's very worrying. Please say you at least phone NHS 111.

I'm on Scotland and very happy with the slower pace of easing here.

varian Wed 10-Jun-20 18:55:13

Safer countries with competent governments are able to reduce the rule to one metre.

That is not possible here where the Vote Leave government has proved to be the most incompetent in the world and dealing with the pandemic.

NfkDumpling Wed 10-Jun-20 19:57:25

I agree with Blinko. Perhaps they’re waiting to see what effect the recent demonstrations have on the R rate. If it has no effect on numbers it’ll be safe to drop the distancing.

watermeadow Thu 11-Jun-20 07:30:45

Yes it should. The WHO says 1m and that would make it possible for many many more places to open, the most important of which is schools.
Nurseries are opening, with no possibility of anybody keeping any distance at all from anybody else, yet 4 year olds at school have to be 2m apart.
This means only 15 or fewer kids in a room, which most primaries cannot do, so most children are still at home and learning nothing. 6 months is a huge chunk out of a child’s life to be without education. Remember all the fuss and fines when parents took a holiday in term time and were told it would ruin their chances for years to come?