Gransnet forums

Chat

Soops kitchen for caring and sharing...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 11-Jun-20 13:18:32

I am so very sorry. My computer has died on me. Am having to use MacS's and am in a bit of a pickle. Just wanted to open this new kitchen and try to catch up later.

dragonfly46 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:48:37

Good news Susan but about time and how sad that the only way you can get things done is by adding the extra clout - the title.

My DH is also entitled to use the title Dr as he has is a doctor of philosophy. Only his mother used to use the title but we must admit to using on occasions such as your daughters. It should not be necessary.

Pleased that Henry is now getting the attention he deserves though bless him.

Lins1066 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:49:04

Susan - glad things are finally moving and that Henry will now be a priority and start his treatment. Your daughter did the right thing. Xx

Charleygirl5 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:51:09

Susan I am so pleased that things are now moving for that young man. It took a boot up the rear to get things going as they should have done ages ago. It does not always pay to be so "nice".

Izabella that is a very handsome young man in the photo!

Susan56 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:11:20

Thank you all.Hopefully this is the start of things improving for Henry.

soop Fri 12-Jun-20 15:54:40

Is it okay if I plead insanity? Just this once - I'm on the brink of throwing stuff across the room and that includes the computer. MacS's is about the most time-consuming, achingly frustrating, good for nothing piece of equipment I've been confronted with EVER! How can it take 25 mins to log on? Why does it close down every so often and ask me to "Log on"? It's as well that I have ironing to do. I need either a stiff drink or a pile of ironing to tackle. The latter has won the toss for the time being.

I am continuing to think of you all. I would give a small fortune to be sitting together with you in our kitchen and exchanging gossip, eating cake and supping tea. That would make me whole again in next to no time.

Mr Izabella has a lovely smile, kind eyes, and...is extremely good looking. His birthday treat certainly was special in every respect.

Susan The saga continues. Your daughter deserves a sainthood. Little Henry deserves a life befitting a normal healthy infancy. We await further news.

I'm logging off. Not because I wish to leave you lot but because I am in an extremely bad mood and you do not need me mumbling and cursing away in the background.

Stay safe. I shall return tomorrow. smile moon

Dreamkeeper Fri 12-Jun-20 16:26:40

Our rainfall could almost be measured by cupfulls!
I awoke to another gloriously sunny day,and although rain with thunderstorms forecasted it has remained sunny all day through,a bonus..........however we still need the rain!
Lots of!

Wowee!!! that is one handsome young man and yes I would like to add belated birthday wishes to him if I may Isabella
Your postings continue to uplift me,its those descriptions you give us,then my own mind goes into overdrive!!!

It is very heart breaking Susan that your daughter has had to turn to using her full title to be heard within the medical profession,sadly this is nothing new but a disgrace never the less.All the distress that has been caused,the fact young Henry`s life was put at risk,it really is too much.
Hopefully though now that people are listening and heads may roll,there maybe some real help forthcoming,but poor Henry,and all of you have suffered because of unforgiveable mishaps.

We have had quite a treat today,the management decided to give us a rather special High tea,delivered to our doors,in leu of Her Majesty`s Trooping of the Colour,it was very welcome and made a pleasant change to the rather mundane life of shielding and lockdown!

We were also treated to rather an unpleasant accident,one of our ultra large senior ladies decided to go outside with her very powerful Power chair.She is well known for her aggressive behaviour and this afternoon came a cropper by tripping up on the kerb.
This brought out several well wishers,luckily a carer was at hand, so phoned for an Ambulance.
Luckily bar many bruises and a jolly good shaking they managed to get her back on to this Chair and she rather doefully headed back to her flat!...........there was much teasing about taking more water with her drinks next time!!

Comes to something when this has become almost a form of entertainment!

Soop,dear Soop calm down before you burst a blood vessel pray!!!
Mind you I could well be your sister for I cannot rely any more on my once trusted PC and it is truly a real pain in the neck when they fail to respond.You have my every sympathy.
I would happily give you mine were it any better but one day soon this PC will be sent flying!
Very unusual having you in any sort of off mood...........but I give you full authority to "Blow your top!!!"

I shall make sure I do not cross you Dragonfly and have your DH pull rank on me!

Time to say my Byes,have yourselves a good and peaceful evening.Be safe.

Doodle Fri 12-Jun-20 20:35:49

Oh dear soop. I think you sound a little frustrated. Those awful pooters can get us all like that. I was going to remind you that you were joining me for Irish night in the Argy tonight and we were going to high kick our way through Riverdance on the bar. I think I might be doing it on my own unless someone else wants to join me. Galen , Lins? ?
susan I just hope at last something is going to be done for Henry. This fiasco has gone on long enough. I am not surprised your daughter is cross. Hope you enjoy your NT walk.
lins caramel cake how delicious. I’ll have a slice please. Those flowers look lovely
panache i expect to hear more of your tea in lockdown tonight but it sounds an exciting day in more ways than one ?

Grandmafrench Fri 12-Jun-20 21:45:24

Hello everyone

It's bedtime really - well it is for those of us who woke at 4 this morning and never went back to sleep. What a night. The wind and rain was lashing at the house, the noise was incredible. The wind continued today and everything "outside" has been extra hard, in spite of the sunshine. My hair looks like I may have got caught in the tide and then dragged up the beach. I'm not at all vain - just like to see where I'm going. However, Monday I shall have a proper haircut and some TLC from my lovely Hairdresser, so I'm looking forward to that.

I have been very busy because I have been going out!!! Hooray! Well just a little. It makes a nice change and if I try very very hard not to get cross with those who transgress and try to break the rules and care nothing for others, I shall get back into the swing of it, I think.

I have been helping a dear friend in England who has been badly let down by the Health Service and probably her GP Surgery also. She is on her own, never makes a fuss and has been worried sick by some bad news she received in January but about which nothing has been done ever since. So she is literally still sitting - often thinking and unable to discuss the what-ifs and why's with anyone who should be able to explain everything to her. Anyway I've received such kindness and advice and help from some of the Good Morning gang, I've been thrilled that lovely people do exist and I've managed to talk to some of them.

Best say nothing at all about little Henry's (UN)caring team - Susan. I feel it might seem unnecessary, but sometimes if you are able to pull some rank and cut a swathe through all the nonsense by using your professional title, just do it. Again, those who make the most noise are usually the ones who get results in all of this and your DD has been too quiet for too long.

dragonfly that little bear! Dexter really has the sweetest Teddy Bear look. Do hope he is feeling lots better and more settled at home now. Hoping and praying that you will be another one who will rise up and create havoc if there is the slightest chance that your appointment is cancelled. Fingers, toes and everything crossed - you really need your time with the Oncologist now.

puzzler beautiful flowers and Doodle and Galen since you appear to be in charge of catering, I will promise Chocolate Amaretto cake tomorrow. Don't work too hard.
Sounds like you've had wild weather, Lins - just right for staying in and making more cake!

Izabella what a lovely face, that dear man. Hope he had the most wonderful birthday and a chance to spoil himself for a change. You can see in his face that he would be the most wonderful carer for you. I'd forgive that face all and any crumbs !! Some people just have that kindness in their look, don't they.

Dreamkeeper dear, you must be entitled to a little party now and again. Hope your high tea touched the spot and you both - in spite of a bit of a drought - are still managing some exercise and looking forward to your beach sightseeing soon. Every home does have one - or more, sometimes - when we think of large and loud and pushy ladies with or without their own Power chairs! Maybe it's a case of more haste less speed if she wants to avoid a tumble or two in future, or perhaps she needs to find a home near Brands Hatch? Hope you and Mr D are not too fragile or tired of late and life is looking brighter.

charleygirl, think you're a bit like me. Don't suffer fools gladly. You and I would both have signed a letter complaining about little Henry's treatment, I'm sure. No need to be asked twice.

Soop dear. What a calamitous time you're having. I am always so respectful of machinery, technology, anything that needs careful handling in order to work properly and be reliable. BUT the moment it lets me down and then keeps on doing it, I'm afraid I go a bit bonkers. I have absolutely no time for things which don't work properly and less patience than you. From our little corner study in our house in the fields of Normandy, each time technology let us down, you would hear first my footsteps clattering past my patient and concentrating DH and then my voice saying "oh, just throw it in the lake". We did have a lake and I would have done it if ever left to my own devices. Sometimes you just have to coax things along because, like us, they are not getting any younger; but why do they always break when you need them most? Wishing you a much better day tomorrow and the hope that you are not "on the Gin" before lunchtime......but just chilled and in control and totally in charge again.

I've caught up I think, except to say that I hope young Cherry is not having too many troubles. You worry us, Cherry. Please promise that you are taking care of yourself.

Until tomorrow, chaps ! flowers grin x

Nannytopsy Fri 12-Jun-20 22:58:15

Phew! Found you! I have brought sausage rolls and pink cava for Soop’s gannets. Tuck in because they will soon disappear.
My phone had so many photos that it wouldn’t take any music. It has taken DH two days and two computers to solve the problems so we know your pain Soop. DGD’s 2nd Covid test has come back clear - hurrah. We were pretty sure it would be. You all know what toddlers are like for being so ill one day and out playing the next!
Sleep well.

Puzzler61 Fri 12-Jun-20 23:18:53

Pink ? bubbly and sausage rolls mmmm! I was just in the mood for such treats. Thank you Nannytopsy.

Lins1066 Sat 13-Jun-20 00:04:44

Good news Nannytopsy ?
Not sure I'd be much of a partner for Riverdance in the Argy Doodle, I've two left feet. I was actually told just that by a former Games mistress, she was attempting to teach us the steps to Zorba the Greek, can you imagine - 15 of us in the Lower Sixth Form. She was on a hiding to nothing to start with.? I'll join you for an Irish coffee though.
A gentle hug for all who are in pain, fed up, having a wobble, fearful, missing family, sleepless in Sunderland, Swansea, South of France, Skye or indeed Seattle, grumpy and dealing with buggerations of any kind. TOYA ?

Susan56 Sat 13-Jun-20 09:32:14

Great news Nannytopsy???

Grandmafrench Sat 13-Jun-20 09:36:54

Lins ? ?

soop Sat 13-Jun-20 14:04:04

Good early afternoon greetings dear Granspals. I am calmer, saner, soberer than I was yesterday. I've coped well with the dreaded machine today. Hence...grin and all things happy to share with you.

Lins Your post made me hoot. Thank you. I needed a good chuckle.

Grandmafrench You are a marvellous lady. Your posts are always a treat, especially when one is feeling in need of a smile.

Doodle I didn't need to go to the party. I was doing a sooped-up Riverdance all on my own-some. It helped to rid me of my frustrations. wink

Nannytopsy Let's all drink pink cava and feast on sausage rolls. It's good news day. We are very happy for you and your family.

Dreamkeeper High tea, that's posh. Such a lovely treat at this trying time. As for the bolshie lady who took a tumble... I couldn't stop myself from seeing the amusing side of the story. It's the way you tell it...

Puzzler Thank you for the beautiful flowers. Our kitchen looks delightful.

soop Sat 13-Jun-20 14:09:55

Lins The posy of flowers is perfect. I can almost smell the perfume from here.

Dragonfly Dexter's portrait now hangs alongside many beloved pets in the new kitchen gallery. He is one of the most cuddlesome dogs I've ever seen. I would love to snuggle alongside him for the rest of the afternoon.

Puzzler61 Sat 13-Jun-20 16:31:57

Soop Let’s form a queue for a cuddle of gorgeous Dexter. ?
And thank goodness we’ve been able to snuggle with our beloved pets during this pandemic and at all troubled times. It really is soothing.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Jun-20 16:41:46

I have been reading all about the kitcheners antics and woes, but I seem to have the attention span of a goldfish at the moment and just cannot seem to keep up with you all. I am sure it is to do with this flipping virus and lockdown.

I shall be baking tomorrow so will pop back with goodies?

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Jun-20 16:44:25

My cat Tara is not keen on kisses and cuddles. All she wants is her back and sides of her face to be stroked, preferably lying on the side of my armchair and hopefully nowhere near my coffee.

I am loving the gorgeous sunshine- better than the thunderstorms predicted.

dragonfly46 Sat 13-Jun-20 16:50:05

Good news Nannytopsy I will toast your DGD's health in pink Cava!!

My mood has lightened a bit since earlier when I was really down in the dumps. We went for a drive to boost the car battery to a local beauty spot and everyone was there drinking coffee from a stall and behaving as if there was nothing wrong. I didn't dare buy any coffee, also the fear of needing the toilet, so came home feeling quite depressed.

It is my birthday next week and my DS's 40th in four weeks time. We were supposed to be going down to babysit the DGC but that won't happen now.

Anyway enough of that the sun is out and things are looking up.

soop Sat 13-Jun-20 16:54:15

Puzzler61 Beloved pets can be wonderful company. We miss our Rory - a bossy feral cat who adopted us and ruled us with a velvet paw for several years. To have him walk through the door right now, would be a cause for ongoing celebrations. Sadly, that won't happen. He is at rest in the forest from where he came.

I am feeling heaps better today. The frustrations of yesterday have evaporated into the ether. As I explained to MacSporran, the computer is my window into the outside world. It is vital that I feel connected to family and my friends. Not getting out and about is something I'm able to deal with. Not being able to walk into our kitchen for a blether with you lot would be akin to being in solitary confinement.

It was an okay start to the day. A bit blustery but not so bad that we didn't wish to take our daily walk. This afternoon has been wet and several shades of grey. I've no complaints.

On this lighter note, I shall send my best wishes to each and every one of you. Continue to stay well and safe.

Until tomorrow - smile moon

soop Sat 13-Jun-20 16:58:51

Our Rory.

Puzzler61 Sat 13-Jun-20 17:23:58

I expanded the photo of your beloved Rory, and I could see that ‘I’m the boss’ glint in his eyes. ? I’m glad he found a happy home with you for a while Soop.

Dreamkeeper Sat 13-Jun-20 21:47:39

Amazing how the trials of life can make or break one`s day and yesterday the PC playing up was one problem too many for you Soop.............with your own fragile health and dear MacS not exactly at his best,it is natural indeed to have a good old blow out.
Yours was mild to some I have had!!!

The kitchen will look all the better for having Dexter`s portrait amongst others there,and speaking for myself,now sadly dogless, it is essential having these portraits that we can sit at peace and drool over.

You certainly describe a truly wild night of weather whilst we are still more or less in drought here in West Wales Grandmafrench......I know that is an odd description but the truth is we have had no real rain for 3 months.Yes about a cupful of rain has fallen twice!!! today a thunderstorm was the forecast yet we are enjoying golden sunshine.

I think we may have enjoyed a High cum Afternoon tea by what others think!!!!It was certainly very filling and covered both tea and supper,although sadly I am still eating bird like portions!
But I had great enjoyment watching my man tuck in,he has found his appetite again,which is due to those steroids I suspect.

The lady that took a tumble was outside in her Power chair resides above us,she is some 18 stone and has to have a hoist to lift her..........so she must be black and blue and multiple colours today,she is imprisoned and so we are now all enjoying freedom without having our toes nipped everytime she passes by!!!
But we get the pleasure of hearing the hoist every so often!!

I was invited to join the `Argy by Doodle and judging by all the shenanikins I hear,it is certainly my style!!!! though quite frankly I have enough difficulty in keeping up posting as it is!
I would just like to be a fly on the wall though!!

`Evening all,have happy dreams.

Doodle Sat 13-Jun-20 21:57:09

nannytopsy so pleased about your DGDs test results. Hope she’s better now.
soop glad you’re back with us today and the computer is in a better mood. Lovely picture of Rory. He was so special.?
dragonfly DH and I have the same problem about going out these days. Daren't go too far in case we need the loo. It’s DHs birthday next week too. We may try and visit our sons gardens depending on the weather.
TOYA?

Grandmafrench Sat 13-Jun-20 23:09:19

Good evening lovely Kitchen people.

Hope you've all had a reasonable day and I'm very pleased to find that MacS has fixed soop's contact with the outside world again. Nothing worse than a cantankerous computer. (Well, maybe a cantankerous Wife caused by same!?) grin

We've had more thunderstorms. One this afternoon which was then, one hour later, followed by really hot sun, steaming courtyard tiles and blue skies. Very strange weather for this time of year.

Super news for NannyT's little DGD. Dragonfly now you don't have that big teddy bear to exercise, you should go out for car trips, for a boost and a change of scene, especially if the weather's unsettled. Such a shame that your trip out was marred by people behaving as if Covid never existed and worrying about the loo. Maybe you should take a delicious flask of your own coffee and perhaps some kitchen treats when you next go for a drive. Miserable to have to drive home again without some proper refreshment. Given how difficult it can be to find any loos clean or open in normal times, let alone in the middle of current problems, I'd be inclined to get some portable 'loos' for the car. There are lots online. You can then climb into the back if necessary and not worry about being caught short. Same for you, Doodle. There are loads on the market, something to carry in your bag or keep in the car for any emergency - men, women or grandchildren! Here in France men, particularly, will always opt to answer a call of nature in the middle of nature. It was not unusual for us, when we lived in the countryside here, to pass someone's garden and find the garden being used for a Jungle Wee (or a Jungle Oui, as my DH will joke. grin ) I'm sure that there's not a Frenchman alive who would opt to pay a visit indoors if he could go outside instead. But it can be harder for women to locate decent outdoor facilities, so can understand your anxiety.

Maybe an idea for the Argy Bargy, Doodle. Save a lot of cleaning.

You do sound very chipper Dreamkeeper - I did laugh at the picture of the 18 stone lady driver being confined to barracks for a while, thus giving all. your toes some respite. I do hope that she will also be on short rations for the foreseeable. If you are built like a little Wren, it can't be very nice to feel that an overweight Cuckoo is likely to come bowling into view at any moment and possibly leave a trail of scattered residents in her wake!

We were quite late having supper this evening and couldn't think what we fancied. Eventually decided on sausages and chips and a big salad. Not had sausages since before the lockdown so we were quite silly with excitement! After a browse in the bowels of the freezer, we found some lovely Cumberland ones made to an English recipe. DH supervised the sausages which he cooked in a non-stick electric sauté pan. We like them well cooked and sticky and you can take the time to do that because there's no hardship in occasionally having to move them with a wooden spoon if you're able to sit down next to the pan until they're ready. I made some real chips from real potatoes and they were a delicious treat.

Five well-fed animals followed the cooking smells with great interest until everything was eaten.

Hope your day was calm, Cherry and that you are getting plenty of rest and a chance to commune with the flowers in your garden.

Wishing you all deep and healing sleep and that you wake up in the best of moods tomorrow.

And bless you and sleep on in your forest, little Rory puss. xx

Good night all, take care. x

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion