Gransnet forums

Chat

It's been a battle......

(7 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 11-Jun-20 16:07:02

But worth it as I found out today that I have been refunded the full cost of the holiday that was cancelled by the company due to the government restrictions. Initially the offer was to rebook by the end of the year. The Competitions and Marketing Authority have issued a statement this week which I think helped as it's clear that with holding was actually in breach of law. So if you have also been affected it is certainly worth carrying out with the battle. The way companies deal with this issue will affect future business when hopefully corona is just a memory.

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Jun-20 16:10:57

That is good news. I have been trying to persuade a friend and his wife not to accept vouchers for two long haul trips planned over the next year in case the airlines go bust.

Jessity Thu 11-Jun-20 16:55:49

We are battling with Virgin Atlantic for refund of transatlantic flights cancelled by them in March.

They acknowledged on 31 March my refund request and by law should have refunded within 7 days.

72 days later we are still waiting and yesterday had an email that it would be another 50 days.

Section 75 claim against credit card company is useless as almost all take the view that as a refund has been promised there is no breach of contract.

We’ve been loyal Virgin flyers twice yearly for ten years to visit family in the States. Not again though.

grandMattie Thu 11-Jun-20 17:08:23

Well done. My SiL is trying to get money back from BA for cancelled return flight for 4 from NZ!

Floradora9 Thu 11-Jun-20 18:36:06

I got my money back from TUI all you have to do is ask and refuse a voucher.

Jane43 Fri 12-Jun-20 10:15:38

Jessity, we are waiting for a refund from Virgin Atlantic too. DH waited 90 minutes on the phone on April 21st to claim a refund. He was told we would receive a confirmation within 30 days - still waiting - and after that it would be approximately 60:days to get the refund so 90 days in total. We resigned ourselves to having to wait 90 days but I am appalled that they are saying you will have to wait even longer. Like you, we have travelled to the USA many times since 1980 and often used Virgin Atlantic or Delta. Martin Lewis and other travel experts have said that by law we are entitled to a refund within 7 days for flights yet V A have the upper hand as it is very difficult to speak to anybody or get anything in writing. Annoyingly, people who are opting for a change of dates are getting action within days but we have no desire to go in the foreseeable future, our cancelled flights were to have been our last long haul flight and we had waited four years to book our holiday because of illness and family problems.

I met a friend last week and her daughter had flights to New York in April cancelled, also with V A. Her friend had paid by credit card and was in the process of getting a charge back so I suppose it depends on the bank.

There are obviously companies such as TUI who are being more honourable but V A and B A are not being honourable to their customers or their staff with whom I have a great deal of sympathy. Our travel insurance company refunded our single trip policy in full within days of claiming it and Expedia refunded our hotel bookings too so well done to them or we would have been a great deal more out of pocket.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Jun-20 10:25:18

Had excellent customer service from Jet2 for several flights that they had cancelled, offered a credit which we declined money back onto our credit card within 22 days.