Gransnet forums

Chat

jk rowling and the 3 dementors

(346 Posts)
petunia Sat 13-Jun-20 14:38:21

Ive been following the JK Rowling news items with interest. Apparently she responded by tweet to an article earlier in the week that spoke of people who menstruate. JK made a flippant as in “‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud? “.

There was an immediate twitter backlash with some vile threats and comments. The twitter storm continues and Rowling felt the need to offer a full explanation of her point of view.

Interestingly, three actors who owe their very careers to JK Rowling did not support her. In fact their comments fanned the flames of public outrage. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.

We can not all agree with everyone but for those three young actors, who without the exposure that the Harry Potter movies gave them may still be struggling for fame and fortune, could they not have chosen to keep quiet on this occasion. They didn't have to wade in with any comments at all.

petunia Sat 13-Jun-20 16:43:21

for whats its worth ladymuck, over 80% of trans men decide not to remove their genitals. there is no compulsion to do so, so why would they. a man is a woman if he says he is. do they not all repeat the mantra,trans-women are women.

i think the days of thinking some individuals have gender dysphoria and wish to live quietly in the gender they believe they are are over. there's a more vitriolic and aggressive trans movement being urged on to more and more unacceptable behaviours. celebs coming out in support such as the 3 dementors must be music to their ears.
three cheers for JK Rowling for making that stand

petunia Sat 13-Jun-20 16:55:11

i agree ooopsminty. twitter and instagram are such a pernicious influence. our previous MP lived on twitter and made themselves look a fool and consequently was not reelected.
an instagram teaches everyone that appearance and possessions are everything.

humptydumpty Sat 13-Jun-20 17:02:41

Personally I found JK's comments offensive. If she was referring to an individual's right to declare what sex they are, then there would be a problem with e.g. changing rooms. But people who have transitioned have gone through an extremely long and painful process, I can't believe anyone would do that just for the opportunity to go into a women's changing room.

So people who have felt all their life that they are female but have a boy's body are never going to be able to feel that they are now female, no matter what they put themselves through? I'm in agreement with the three HP actors.

PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Jun-20 17:17:11

Humpty Dumpty, I understood that JK’s comments did not denigrate trans women. She was objecting to being called a woman who menstruates. Do you prefer that as a description of you or would you rather be called a woman?
I would prefer woman thank you very much.

PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Jun-20 17:17:44

Sorry PERSON not woman.

PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Jun-20 17:20:08

I expect that I am now a Person who is pretty useless. Doesn’t even menstruate.
Sorry but I keep pressing too quickly.

vegansrock Sat 13-Jun-20 17:22:17

But the thing is, they don’t have to go through a long and painful process, they can just declare themselves to be a woman and that is enough. So you could have men with all their bits , who have never taken hormones, declare themselves a woman and be given access to women only spaces. Well, I’m sorry I’m with JKR on this one.

Galaxy Sat 13-Jun-20 17:25:32

She was objecting to the removal of the word woman.

suziewoozie Sat 13-Jun-20 17:29:46

I think those criticising JKR should first read what she wrote - I’ll post the link

suziewoozie Sat 13-Jun-20 17:30:56

twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1270749170215903232?s=08

Galaxy Sat 13-Jun-20 17:33:45

Thanks suzie.

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 17:40:03

petunia

well there are alternatives merlotgran if you arent a person who menstruates. cervix haver is one i particularly dislike.

But what if you've had a total hysterectomy?

tickingbird Sat 13-Jun-20 17:42:06

Totally agree with JKR. The trans movement has become very militant and very powerful. The Potter 3 are just trying to stay relevant because let’s face it, they’re hardly in high demand are they?!

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 17:46:03

I am a person who does not menstruate
What am I?

It's a new parlour game.

petunia Sat 13-Jun-20 17:47:26

JK Rowling is in a fortunate position in a way. she is wealthy and does not need a job. but many of us must go along with the fantasy or face dismissal or punishment.

i would like to know what rights the trans community want to have that are not already there as a citizen of the UK

petunia Sat 13-Jun-20 17:51:55

callistemon-love that game
im going to go with non menstruator

Loislovesstewie Sat 13-Jun-20 18:28:23

humptydumpty, this whole argument is about men being able to self-identify as a woman. Years ago the situation was somewhat different but there has been a movement that says that the minute a man says he is a woman then he becomes 'she' and can use female only spaces without let or hindrance. That was the whole point of my previous post. I have every sympathy with anyone who suffers from gender dysphoria , what I object to is that there is no thought for biological women who are fearful of sharing safe spaces with males.
In addition no-one seems to think that some women, for religious reasons , can't share those spaces with men to whom they are not related. So, what happens there then?

TerriBull Sat 13-Jun-20 18:51:59

Presumably a person who menstruates will come to the end of that period (no pun intended) of their life and will then become a person going through the menopause confused

Moonlight113 Sat 13-Jun-20 18:56:45

I think it's only right that the three individuals should state their own views. JKR doesn't own them.

And if it walks like a woman and talks like a woman, it's a woman, in my view.

FarNorth Sat 13-Jun-20 19:05:07

Moonlight113, it doesn't even have to do that. It can be clearly male, sporting a beard even, and just had to want to be recognised as a woman and that's it - a done deal.

Clearly you have no idea of the problems we are walking into, with this.

PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Jun-20 19:14:30

But Terri, I’ve done the menopause. What is there for me now I’m well and truly on the other side?

Moonlight you are right, JK doesn’t own them. She is not answerable to them, didn’t include or allude to them when she commented. Why did they feel they needed to weigh in?

FarNorth Sat 13-Jun-20 19:15:48

Here's Alex Drummond who is an advisor to Stonewall, on trans issues.
I think Alex's look is great, and I don't believe his claim to be a woman.

youtu.be/argNVR5HVgE

SueDonim Sat 13-Jun-20 19:20:17

And what exactly does ‘walk like a woman and talk like a woman‘ mean? Do all women walk in the same way and speak in the same manner? Are all women Stepford Wives or Gilead’s Handmaidens?

Good on JKR, I say.

TerriBull Sat 13-Jun-20 19:33:55

I believe a Labour party member called Dave, who was later expelled from the party, identified as a woman on Wednesdays, although not for the entire 24 hours, but between 6.50 am to be precise and midnight. He kept his beard but possibly walked and talked like a woman to authenticate his Womanly Wednesdays.

Pamela, hang on the fact that you are a post menopausal person now smile A state that aforementioned Dave could attain on all his future Wednesdays, when they can walk and talk like a woman to their heart's content, assuming Dave don't become a person afflicted by post menopausal osteoporosis then walking like a woman may prove to be difficult sad which might give Dave the impetus to simply stay as Dave and walk like a man, even on Wednesdays!

petunia Sat 13-Jun-20 19:34:45

exactly suedonim
i very rarely were a dress and high heels. so maybe im really a man, oooo eeerrrrr