Gransnet forums

Chat

discoloured fingernails

(4 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 13-Jun-20 19:10:40

I’m with Puzzler on this. Always use a base coat before applying a nail polish colour. Then apply a clear top coat after the colour, to seal it in and give the shine.

Well done you for stopping nail biting! The upside of not putting your hands to your face eh?
?

Puzzler61 Sat 13-Jun-20 18:56:35

Hi PinkCakes If you always use a clear undercoat first it will prevent the final polish colour penetrating your nails. I’d try cutting half a lemon and rubbing that across your nails for a few days to take the existing stain out. You’ll only need one lemon, just keep wrap it in cling film and keep it in the fridge.

Hetty58 Sat 13-Jun-20 18:55:53

I've cut my nails very short during lockdown, for hygiene reasons, and to stop them breaking with all the hand washing. A good scrub with toothpaste (on an old toothbrush) brightens them up. I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream every night before bed.

PinkCakes Sat 13-Jun-20 18:50:39

I bit my nails all my life, but during this lockdown, I've managed to stop it! My nails are fairly long now, so I've been painting them. One thing, though - they are horribly discoloured, a dark yellow/brown, as though they are nicotine-stained (I don't smoke).

Any ideas/advice, please?