Gransnet forums

Chat

Prepaid funeral

(16 Posts)
V3ra Tue 16-Jun-20 23:03:26

I'm not sure exactly what plans she's put in place, but I have been told my mother-in-law (92) has written a poem to be read at her funeral!

jacq10 Tue 16-Jun-20 21:43:55

I took out a funeral plan for myself shortly after DH passed away. We are lucky enough to have three local undertakers who have been in business for many years and the one our family uses have been around since 1878 so have every confidence in them. My DD and DS are like chalk and cheese and I can imagine them having very different views on how to organise things so it was good to sort out all the details and my wishes with our local company although the plan is a nationwide one. I would also like to think, as funeral costs always rise, that I may have saved them some money.

starlily106 Tue 16-Jun-20 21:01:59

I have a S...... plan I took out years ago and I have now paid in more than my family will get when I pop off, and I have to keep paying until I do pop off. A couple of years ago I took out a funeral plan with a local undertaker and am so pleased I did. It means that the money from S...... will pay for flowers and catering if my son and granddaughter decide they want that. I have told them that I want a minimal funeral, but that will be up to them. In the meanwhile I have to pay £8 every month to S...... which means that I could end up paying more than twice than my family receive.

Froglady Tue 16-Jun-20 20:21:12

I have one; I started it on a pay so much each month and then several years ago decided just to pay it all. It means that my next-of-kin, my sister, doesn't have to pay out for me. I did it because I didn't want family to be out of pocket paying for my funeral. It gives me peace of mind and I know that whatever money I leave when I die goes to my family for them to spend on them.

Marydoll Tue 16-Jun-20 20:12:20

midgey, what a terrible time for you. sad ?

midgey Tue 16-Jun-20 20:04:19

My husband had one. He had been paying in for three years but caught Covid and died recently. I received a cheque very speedily and some flowers by post! Couldn’t fault them at all. Paid out much more than had been paid in too.

agnurse Tue 16-Jun-20 19:55:14

I think this is a wonderful idea. It helps to ensure that a person has what he/she wants, reduces the stress on the recently bereaved, and ensures that financial issues aren't a problem.

I would even recommend that a person might go a step further and include details such as what readings they'd like done, songs they'd like sung, etc. This way there doesn't have to be a lot of discussion about "what mum/dad would have wanted". It's all laid out. All that remains is to execute it.

Grannyben Tue 16-Jun-20 19:48:05

My lovely auntie had one, organised through Age UK. When she died, I rang the Funeral Director who had been nominated in her paperwork and gave her policy number.That was it, everything was covered.

I had known for some time that her funeral had been prepaid but, I always had concerns it wouldn't be that easy when the time came. Absolutely unfounded and I've now paid for my own.

Marydoll Tue 16-Jun-20 19:16:13

My husband and I both have them. I had a terrible mess to sort out when my father died and my mother buried her head in the sand.
I don't want my children to experience anything like that. We now have piece of mind.

EllanVannin Tue 16-Jun-20 18:42:11

It's something I'd wished I'd done years ago, but had put some aside in an ISA instead with a view to increasing the said deposit. However, it's still sitting there at 0.something % rubbish.
I suppose I should visit the undertaker with it in case it increases more for all the use it is in the bank.

mcem Tue 16-Jun-20 18:42:08

An elderly relative died a few weeks ago. Her funeral plan had allowed for cars etc which were not used due to the very restricted cremation. She had paid for rather more than the very basic funeral which was necessary in the circumstances. No refunds. However it was put in place many years ago.

ninathenana Tue 16-Jun-20 18:20:22

My mum had one arranged through a local undertaker. She paid in full at the time of the booking. She was able to say what she wanted and all we had to think about when the time came was the flowers and the wake.
I would reccomend it.

May7 Tue 16-Jun-20 18:13:58

Yes we both bought one with the Co op. Easy to do we even got discount because were members and money off from voucher in the Yours magazine. Made sense to us with the rising costs and low interest rates on savings. One less worry for my children.

Alishka Tue 16-Jun-20 18:06:20

Me! Bought it years ago, inspired by my mum and her 3 friends who all bought themselves a Co-op funeral plan. I remember mum saying she asked if they'd get stamps grin
The beauty of the Plan is that, however long you live after buying it, your family or your estate, pays no more than you did at the time you bought it. Mum lived for years so the total cost was remarkably small, and remember, the costs of the celebrant, etc. rises year on year.Bargain!

grannypiper Tue 16-Jun-20 16:55:22

I have just arranged one for my Father. It was easy to do and actually quite comforting. Knowing my Dad will have what he wants and that we wont have to arrange it all when we are grieving is a good feeling.
Make sure you get a few different quotes and write a check list of wants and wishes

Bluebellwould Tue 16-Jun-20 16:30:12

Does anyone have a prepaid funeral plan? Interested in your thoughts please. Thank you.