Gransnet forums

Chat

Noisy children.

(120 Posts)
annsixty Sat 20-Jun-20 10:48:16

Because of the title please don’t instantly dismiss me as a grumpy old woman.
I have lived on this road for 52 years and 44 in this house.
Many ,many families have come and gone but never have I noticed children constantly screaming, roaring or yelling before.

The family in question live at the house directly at the back of me.
There are only 2 children approximately 5 and 2.
Their father has played with them a lot, he is probably a brilliant father but from an early age he has encouraged them to race round the garden roaring like animals, being planes, cars etc.
It now seems that they can do nothing else.

It started this morning at 9:30, I wish we could post sounds as well as photos.

Do you get this from any of your neighbours?
Are this generation just noisy?

BonnieBlooming Mon 22-Jun-20 10:09:05

The neighbours who live behind us are a similar age to us and they are the loudest people we have ever come across! The wife in particular has a voice that would glean corn! We hear every word they say and when their family visit ...........

Barmeyoldbat Mon 22-Jun-20 10:12:57

Annsixty, I know just how you feel. We have a family next door with a 5 year old and a 7 year old and they play loudly, to put it mildly, in the garden most of the day, screaming and shouting, they just can't seem to talk quietly. I can even hear them in the house with doors and windows shut. Mum, well, she just sits looking at her phone or sunbathing so my answer to it now when I want peace in the afternoon is to take the radio out into the garden and put Radio 4 on, full belt. I can assure you mum goes in and kids follow. I am afraid this is no help to you but maybe you could shout at them shut up or something. I have been known to do this and it works. Good luck.

ladymuck Mon 22-Jun-20 10:13:58

I think it's true that many people do not have consideration for others. However, it's natural for children to make a noise. I'm sure the parents are thankful that the weather is fine and the children can play outdoors.
I think you are only justified in complaining about the noise if it happens at unsocial hours.

Juliet27 Mon 22-Jun-20 10:15:25

I agree MissAdventure, children are getting noisier and probably mainly because parents just don’t seem to be bothered about the effect they have on others.

I’ve developed the silent scream when arguing with my DH.!!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 22-Jun-20 10:17:37

Children playing, inevitably make a noise, doesn't bother me. Its when these children are no longer at the age of playing noisy games but find other ways of making a noise Now that really does annoy me and try reasoning with them or their parents results in mouthy abuse.

Dee1012 Mon 22-Jun-20 10:18:16

I'm sorry but this is something that drives me insane.
In my road, we've had "screaming children" every day and evening for the past few weeks, it's usually still going on until after 9.00 p.m and these are all quite young (under 10).

SYLVIAPATTEN Mon 22-Jun-20 10:21:20

I have two children next door who scream while playing a great deal! They are originally from another another country so perhaps this is acceptable there! My original neighbours once said they never knew that there were children living in my house. Different times, different culture I suppose!

Soniah Mon 22-Jun-20 10:24:05

I wonder if a few people on here were never children themselves!

Rosina Mon 22-Jun-20 10:25:04

Perhaps if you play some soothing music to partly drown them out, and hang on to the fact that at least one of them will be back at school at some point. My sympathies - it can be so annoying. I love to hear children playing, but when they are just making silly noises relentlessly - as we had last Sunday from a neighbour's eight year old grandchild, who screamed and shouted all afternoon and nobody suggested he might tone it down a little - then it realy does grate.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 22-Jun-20 10:25:49

Annsixty I think children are probably noisier than we were. I was always told "children should be seen and not heard". Think now children are encouraged to be 'free'. My GD certainly was noisy in our garden yesterday. My GS will probably be when he arrives soon! My neighbours have two children 3 & 1 they can be noisy. Behind us are noisy neighbours and the other side of me when her grandchildren arrive it's noisy. A case of live and let live.

Grandma70s Mon 22-Jun-20 10:26:55

I love to hear them too, unless they are fighting. My granddaughter ( 7) is very noisy - she just has a very loud voice and talks all the time. I was reputed to be the same, though my grandparents thought we were much less noisy than our cousins. My grandson (11) is quiet and rational in speech. I’ve never heard him shout.

My own sons argued a lot, but weren’t particularly noisy. We had the biggest garden, so it was frequently full of their chattering friends. The very quiet single man next door obviously found this a bit of a trial, but it never bothered me.

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 22-Jun-20 10:31:12

Screaming, shouting etc kids are a total nightmare!
Why can they not play quietly anymore? (regardless of the lock down, they were a horror story before that).
Why do parents not discipline them anymore.
Drives me absolutely mad.
Add in a barking/yapping dog, and l want to slit my wrists.

harrysgran Mon 22-Jun-20 10:32:14

I know exactly what you mean I don't mind children playing but the screaming and shrieking from mainly girls drives me mad .I do think telling children to keep the noise down by parents has become a thing of the past it all seems to be about expressing themselves now with no regard for anyone else

Marmight Mon 22-Jun-20 10:38:01

‘Ann’. Try Wagner’s Ring Cycle turned up loud. ?. Guaranteed to make the younger generation retreat indoors grin

Chardy Mon 22-Jun-20 10:38:08

Has anyone mentioned those working from home? It's hot, they need windows open too, but screaming children ....

Silverhippy Mon 22-Jun-20 10:39:37

I have a neighbour upstairs in her own flat who I rarely if ever hear, except when her two noisy ignorant sons come to visit and constantly shout at the top of their voices. Luckily the only turn up every two weeks or so.

What is worse is the neighbour two doors away who constantly comes out into his garden or walks around the communal area coughing and spitting in the most disgusting manner and leaving great gobbets of phlegm on the communal paths. It is so loud that he has woken me at 3:00 am on a number of occasions. Myself and other neighbours have been complaining about this for nearly two years and the housing association refuse to do anything about it, despite the fact that local byelaws prohibit spitting in a public place.

sweetcakes Mon 22-Jun-20 10:46:49

My first thought when I started reading was misery then I realised you had a point children are blooming noisy these days but it's the screaming that's the worse I would invest in some ear plugs, have a good day.

Mollygo Mon 22-Jun-20 10:47:01

I’ve noticed children are often noisier today, either because I haven’t been at home to notice it before or because we now have children on both sides. So far it hasn’t bothered me.
Much more worrying is the total silence when they have headphones on and are plugged in to devices.

Babs758 Mon 22-Jun-20 10:49:03

What is that device one can get that puts teenagers off in shopping centres?

We had a neighbour, thankfully gone, who raced up and down the garden yelling at his kids and doing gorilla impressions. The kids would scream and scream and it went on for hours. He put the swing right up against our fence too and damaged it. We did mention this politely and he took no notice. His wife was more sympathetic but there was nothing she could do.

He was off work long term for a bad back and she worked so he was often there with the children.

One of my nieces gave me a En and em CD so I got my husbands theatre speakers and played it at a very loud volumes when the children were out playing. I used the tracks with the warnings on. After a week of this, he came around and complained. I said I was surprised he could hear it above his children’s yelling. He got the message.

Yes there was still the odd day or two when they were really boisterous but things did get much better. I was glad when he moved though. Oh, and his wife divorced him shortly after!

CatterySlave1 Mon 22-Jun-20 10:53:01

I’ve noticed that as I’ve got older some frequencies of noise really begin to irritate me more than my younger days shall we say. I’ve suddenly become aware of how much I dislike people eating crisps around me for example. My Dad seemed to be the same when I had my children. I was always trying to shush them in his company when it was just usual children’s noise. So could it be that Mother Nature is somehow telling us it’s time for a quieter life away from the hustle and bustle of family life? Like some sort of aging mechanism and nothing to do with the children themselves? Obviously there’s some exceptions as some children as some adults talk really loudly but overall I hate to conclude that we’re just getting old!

jaylucy Mon 22-Jun-20 10:55:04

If anyone has seen a group of children that have just been "released" from a school, pre school etc, where thay have had to sit still and be quiet,the first thing many do is run around , usually shouting at the top of their voices.
They are just kids, for heavens sake! Maybe sticking your head over the fence and commenting "Oh, I thought we had a zoo/farm/someone was being murdered by the noise coming from here might work!

TrendyNannie6 Mon 22-Jun-20 10:56:25

No, don’t have this on our road due to the fact no young children here, so lucky I suppose, I love to hear children’s laughter and playing , but wouldn’t want to hear screaming day in day out no, but then I think I wonder how much noise I made when I was younger out playing with friends

trisher Mon 22-Jun-20 11:03:01

Children have been getting noisier for quite a while. When I was teaching we blamed the constatnt noise they are subjected to from a young age-music playing, TV blaring etc. I would think that has got worse. With a lot of parents wearing headphones now the child has to get their attention somehow. The parents of course have their headphones they don't hear them.

GrannySomerset Mon 22-Jun-20 11:08:04

If you look at some of the incredibly noisy, flashing and fast cartoon shown on children’s channels it helps explain why modern children are so noisy - the level of over-stimulation is incredible.

We have children next door but one and they are loud, especially when the paddling pool is out, but I have learned to tune them out and am glad when the noise reaches panic level that I don’t have to deal with whatever has caused it.

Dianehillbilly1957 Mon 22-Jun-20 11:10:23

My own children were always playing outside, the only noise was laughter, they were not allowed to scream and shout, they learnt to be mindful of others, it's down to having good manners. Think to be honest it's down to the parents to teach respect for others!
My sister has screaming kids over the back of her garden and the noise is awful, the parents obviously don't hear it, rather like owners don't hear their own barking dogs!!
Hopefully when they are allowed more freedom the noise might deminish!