Gransnet forums

Chat

Noisy children.

(120 Posts)
annsixty Sat 20-Jun-20 10:48:16

Because of the title please don’t instantly dismiss me as a grumpy old woman.
I have lived on this road for 52 years and 44 in this house.
Many ,many families have come and gone but never have I noticed children constantly screaming, roaring or yelling before.

The family in question live at the house directly at the back of me.
There are only 2 children approximately 5 and 2.
Their father has played with them a lot, he is probably a brilliant father but from an early age he has encouraged them to race round the garden roaring like animals, being planes, cars etc.
It now seems that they can do nothing else.

It started this morning at 9:30, I wish we could post sounds as well as photos.

Do you get this from any of your neighbours?
Are this generation just noisy?

Legs55 Mon 22-Jun-20 21:00:21

The last two Sundays my neighbour has had her D & 2 GS visiting. Older of the GSs bullies his younger brother who is a screamer. Worst of all is when my neighbour has her dog out playing with a ball, he's a lovely little dog but neighbour taught him to squeal when playing with a ballconfused. I cannot go out in my garden next to her garden nor can I sit indoors with my windows closed as the noise is intolerable. I'm just thankful it's only Sundays but that is the day I spend quietly.

I have other neighbours with young GC, if I didn't see them arrive I wouldn't know they were there.

My 2 DGSs can be noisy but my DD is conscious that they don't annoy the neighbours, playing in a park is a different matter.

I love to hear children playing but not screaming & screechinghmm

ajswan Mon 22-Jun-20 21:07:49

The noise from children near me is unbearable, one of the children has been a screamer for years and the parents do not say anything, they now have a swimming pool so it is even worse. It is heaven when they go indoors. I don’t remember my children or Granddaughters making that much noise

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jun-20 21:08:58

There's nothing better than hearing children laughing and squealing and having fun.. smile

JANH Mon 22-Jun-20 21:19:08

Screaming children have been noticed here before lockdown however it is worse at the moment, until quite late in the evening - 9.30pm for 8 years old girls playing on bikes and making a racket. We also have a really loud footed boy living next door, he doesn't walk upstairs or across the landing, it is thud, thud, thud etc - the parents ignore it and yet they are quite strict otherwise. I find screaming hurts my ears, so how parents put up with it, I don't know, unless they are immune to it.

JuneRose Mon 22-Jun-20 21:39:00

I never mind the sound of children playing but my OH hates it. I think parents are probably glad to pack them off outside for a while at the moment especially if they are trying to work at home.

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jun-20 21:44:39

I know, from having lived in this flat for years that there are some miserable old sods about.
My daughter and her friend were running races up and down the grass outside my flat, and someone stuck their head out their window to complain.

Chewbacca Mon 22-Jun-20 22:00:06

I'm a bit worried now... on the first day that I was able to have my family to visit, I set up a Granny's Olympics obstacle course in my back garden. The shouting, squealing and laughing from children and adults alike might have annoyed my neighbours. But even if it did, it was only for an afternoon and it was worth it!

Sleepygran Mon 22-Jun-20 22:13:37

Two doors from us, they had two children ( now grown up) but one of the girls we called 'the screamer'. Every time sh was out she screamed over,the slightest thing. initially I had to be restrained from going to the house, I thought she'd really really hurt herself,but she hadn't!
Over time we sort of got used to it.I felt sorry for her mum and dad.It was like fingernails on a blackboard!

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jun-20 22:30:45

I met an older man, who, it transpired, lived in the flat above my mum and dad, when I was a baby.

Once we had marvelled at the coincidence, he said "Oh, you were a miserable kid!! Always crying and moaning!"

Butlinsbabe50 Wed 24-Jun-20 16:51:25

There are no little ones living near me,it's grandkids visiting that are the problem.i get the impression they are worried about upsetting the little darlings so keep stum while they scream and shout endlessly.im dreading another summer ?

Hithere Wed 24-Jun-20 17:22:47

Kids will make noise, scream on ocassions (despite parents correcting that promptly) and play

Kids are kids. Their job is to enjoy their childhood.

I find this thread very sad, as some posters adore their gc and I am sure they are as noisy as any other kid out there.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Jun-20 18:19:18

My grandson is noisy, and he gets on my wick, too. grin

Chewbacca Wed 24-Jun-20 21:42:10

I'm having my 3 year old GS all day tomorrow whilst his 7 year old sister does some schoolwork. He'll be hot, cranky and loud. My neighbour insists that they can't hear him so I might just jump over the fence and sit in their garden.

Doodledog Wed 24-Jun-20 22:40:31

Children laughing and playing is lovely to hear. Screaming is not, and on the whole it's not necessary. I think that children should be taught to consider other people, and that's a good place to start, as unchecked they do it from quite young (I'm not talking about crying babies, but children screaming as they run about). All it takes is an adult to tell them that if it doesn't stop they will be brought indoors (and then carry out the threat) and they learn to at least moderate the noise.

It seems to continue into adulthood, if shows such as Big Brother are typical - the first few episodes of each series were unwatchable because of 20-somethings screeching for nothing but attention.

I'm not miserable or intolerant of children, but I do think that they can be taught basic manners and consideration.

absthame Thu 25-Jun-20 15:24:21

I love watching and playing with my GGC although when the volume gets tooooooo HIGH, I bless the off on my hearing aids gringringrin

Summerlove Thu 25-Jun-20 18:23:02

MissAdventure

I don't think it's petty to find constant screaming stressful.

It’s not the issue of finding it stressful, it’s all of the ways that people are suggesting that you should or that they have retaliated against it.

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jun-20 20:06:16

Radio 4 full blast?
Yes, that probably does cross a line. smile

Babs758 Sat 27-Jun-20 08:33:15

Thanks Chapeau!

Witzend Sun 28-Jun-20 09:26:15

Hmmm, my dd and SiL have recently installed an above-ground pool on their patio, just big and deep enough at 3 x 2m for little Gdcs to swim in. They absolutely love it, but during 2 visits since they had it I’ve noticed that there’s rather a lot of very excited noise! Neighbour on one side never goes in her garden anyway, but I do wonder about the other side - v nice family with older children.
Haven’t said anything to Gdcs or dd yet, maybe next time....