Gransnet forums

Chat

When did this happen ?

(48 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 20-Jun-20 15:13:46

If you have an iPhone go onto settings then privacy then health and you will see you have a “Covid 19 exposure“ app suddenly appeared if you have an android phone its under settings then google settings
It’s ‘off’ at the moment but if they can put it on without telling us then they can put it to active without telling us

Anyone cleverer than me who can offer a valid explanation as to why this has happened ‘through the back door’
Seems quite sinister to me

janeainsworth Sun 21-Jun-20 13:54:17

Geekessegrin

Bluebelle It’s simple.
Apple, not some sinister quasi-government organisation, have put something on your iPhone that, if you wish, you can turn on if you want to be part of track and trace. The choice is yours.
Apple put lots of things on your phone. There were already things on it, like Google Maps, when you bought it.
If you don’t like Apple, or Google, putting things on your phone every time it updates itself, there’s a very simple solution.
Don’t have a smartphone.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Jun-20 12:37:50

Whilst I know this is a none story because of government incompetence, I actually have a very relaxed view to my data and who can and can’t access it. This is because I’m totally cynical
about all forms of data protection. I accept that anyone can find out anything they want about me either legitimately or otherwise. Just having a mobile phone or an Oyster card or going on my laptop or completing my tax return or receiving medical treatment means I ( along with everyone else) constantly leaves a huge cyber trail accessible by anyone who wants it.

crazyH Sun 21-Jun-20 10:40:36

That's what updates are for....
If you have turned automatic updates "on", you will automatically be updated- the latest update is iOS 13.5.1
If you don't wish to be updated just turn 'automatic update' to the 'off' position '

geekesse Sun 21-Jun-20 10:31:54

Look, a bunch of random ageing people have all managed to find the software. If it were really some secret spying software, do you think it would be so easy to find it? Don’t go down the conspiracy theories route, folks, please.

henetha Sun 21-Jun-20 10:20:36

Yes, I just found it. But it's only active when Bluetooth is on, apparently, and I don't keep Bluetooth on much. Only when playng music.

grannysyb Sun 21-Jun-20 10:14:28

Can't find it on my Samsung phone, the only one I've got is the Covid symptom tracker, where I check in every day, the same as Willow500.

harrigran Sun 21-Jun-20 10:09:20

Found it on my android phone. I never use my phone on mobile data, only access the internet on wifi so not bothered really.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Jun-20 10:03:34

If people read WW s link , it explains everything. And further, we have no authorised app because our Government is incompetent. There is nothing to install on your phone

Baggs Sun 21-Jun-20 08:59:10

I think you have to install the app before any Covid exposure can be checked. I quote from my iPhone:
"You cannot turn on Exposure Logging without an authorised app installed that can send Exposure Notifications.
"If you are diagnosed with Covid-19, you can choose to share your own device's random IDs with the authorised app so it can notify others anonymously."

My underlining.

Willow500 Sun 21-Jun-20 06:47:54

It's not on my android but it seems it's not actually an app anyway and you'd have to install it if you wanted it.

I do have the Covid Symptom checker app which I've been using since the start. I've just enrolled in the COVID Symptom Study Trial from it which is testing the accuracy of a digital test to diagnose COVID-19. I might be asked to have a Covid-19 swab test, and to report the test result in the app. I can only see this as being a good thing

annep1 Sun 21-Jun-20 06:45:35

Found it. I have to download an app. to activate it. I agree it could be very good to have, but as BlueBelle says it does make you wonder what else they could do.

BlueBelle Sun 21-Jun-20 05:58:50

Exactly elothan is the black door I object to
I know all the things others are telling me, of course I know it could be useful, of course I would want to help stop the virus, I m as up to date as you suziewoozie and nanaandgramoy and lemongrove
All they had to do was say ‘ any day now you will find a new place in your phone Settings which will be there for us to add an app re tracing when it’s ready

HONESTY is all that is needed

Eloethan Sun 21-Jun-20 01:38:04

I don't think I would object to it, but I would object to not being asked first.

suziewoozie Sat 20-Jun-20 23:49:33

You can’t activate/install it. It was trialled on the IofW and doesn’t work. They’ve had to go back to the drawing board with it and it’ll be months, if ever, before we have one that functions.

NanaandGrampy Sat 20-Jun-20 23:38:29

It’s there for as and when an app is produced that you would link to .

It’s currently not useable and you can’t turn it on even if you want to .

lemongrove Sat 20-Jun-20 23:00:30

It’s to help to halt the spread of Corona virus, we have been told about this app for a while now, don’t activate it if you don’t want to help.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jun-20 22:54:00

How do you know what is sinister and what’s not with this lying, U turning government in charge of your life lemongrove do I trust Cummings and Johnson, no not at all

I am not saying I wouldn’t use an app to help with the virus (We don’t have one after all these months that’s up to speed) but I would expect to be asked before it arrives by the back door

lemongrove Sat 20-Jun-20 22:39:51

Exactly, so in effect it has to be your choice BlueBelle but why wouldn’t you want it for heavens sake.It’s not sinister at all.

Whingingmom Sat 20-Jun-20 22:23:21

It’s only requesting permission should you wish to install it. An “App” is just a software application. It can’t be operational unless you install it, much the same as Google, My Fitness Pal, BBC Sounds or any other app.

Grannynannywanny Sat 20-Jun-20 21:52:50

Yes just found it on my iPhone. I rarely remember to do updates but did so in the past week. The first update in months and presumably it’s been sneaked in during that update.

Just like the b****y free U2 album that appeared a couple of years ago that was impossible to delete

janeainsworth Sat 20-Jun-20 20:54:38

Thank you ww.

Hetty58 Sat 20-Jun-20 20:54:19

I have an iPhone but just use it for texting. I don't use the web or have apps on it and I don't use the map locator either. There is nothing in privacy/health, it's empty. I just don't like the idea of being tracked, my choice.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 20-Jun-20 20:47:09

Full fact

fullfact.org/health/covid-19-track-and-trace-app-has-not-been-automatically-downloaded-peoples-phones/

Whitewavemark2 Sat 20-Jun-20 20:43:34

I wouldn’t worry too much, I reckon the government has given up on this. It seems to have defeated them.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jun-20 20:03:17

Well wether it’s a good idea or not I expect to be asked not just find it lurking there without my permission
What else can this godforsaken government do without my permission, we re not in a communist state we should have a voice and a choice
Of course it might be a good idea IF THEY COULD MANAGE ONE THAT WORKS but what else can hop on the back of that app if and when we ever get it up and running
I don’t trust the crew running this they don’t do anything for the good of the country only for the good of themselves