Gransnet forums

Chat

Getting taken short when in the middle of nowhere.

(81 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 22-Jun-20 13:16:44

This is really aimed at the cyclists and walkers who often find themselves miles away from the nearest toilet but it could be useful to anyone because toilets aren't always as clean as we'd like.

Last week we walked to Haworth Waterfall ….beautiful place and well worth a visit if you're in the area. The problem was that it's a mile to the waterfall and a mile back with no toilets anywhere. It's OK for men when they get taken short. All the have to do is find somewhere to have a discreet wee but we can't do that. It's impossible for us to be discreet like the men can. So I looked on the internet for the answer and sure enough there it was. I bought a SheWee (yes it's what it sounds like). You can stand just like a man and it's totally liberating. I really think we women drew the short straw in that department grin. If you walk, cycle or even travel to where there are no or unpleasant toilets then try one. I should add that I'm not advertising SheWee. Other lady aid apparatus are available.

pamdixon Tue 23-Jun-20 12:50:24

I'd often wondered about getting a sheewee - think I'll be brave enough to order one now! Sounds good advice to practice using it before you launch yourself into the countryside!!

Paperbackwriter Tue 23-Jun-20 12:48:01

etheltbags1 There is something called a Porta John (or a Porta Jane, in pink, apparently for laydeez), available via Amazon and mostly used for those camping or at festivals. A friend recommended them hugely after using one in a 4 hour traffic jam on the M3. Seems they're not just for wee! Have a look at the reviews. They're very portable (hence name, I guess). There are also ones sold as TravelJohn/Jane.

Tamayra Tue 23-Jun-20 12:46:08

Try having a wild wee here in Australia. Ticks, snakes & cockroaches live in the wild too !
Not so easy as in Europe sad

Pinkrinse Tue 23-Jun-20 12:20:30

Definitely a knack to using it, I had a terrible backwash experience with mine, which put me off totally. Much happier to squat, less risky. ?????????

Scottiebear Tue 23-Jun-20 12:13:16

About a year ago i had what we refer to as the 'canal incident'. Away for weekend where there was a lovely walk along the canal. We walked and walked. And eventually I needed the loo. And not just for a wee. Nowhere possible to go. No access even to woods or fields. And other people around. Eventually we got ourselves into a housing estate, hoping for a cafe or garage. Nope. Kept walking. In pain by this time. Lady drove into her drive and let 2 dogs out of her car. I asked if I could possibly use her loo. We were clearly dressed for walking. She was lovely and said no problem. I wont go into details here. But suffice to say my loo visit was not a pleasant experience. A whole loo roll and packet of wipes later we left. Mortified. Thank goodness, never been caught out like that since. But am a bit more aware of area when we are out.

MayBee70 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:13:12

Lynmary: I’m glad you mentioned the jug because that’s going to be my ‘plan b’ as I can’t get the hang of sheewees.

felice Tue 23-Jun-20 12:10:07

I bought a Shewee when I was a Scout leader, not a great success as trying to pee standing up with a group of teenage boys trying to see what you are doing was nerve wracking.
Good thing it was very hot and I splashed water all down the front of my shorts, oops.

icanhandthemback Tue 23-Jun-20 11:57:22

I have recently purchased a SheWee but I should have tested it at home first. Note to self, make sure your knickers are out of the way before you start! I came home with them in my handbag. Thank goodness I was wearing a very long dress!
Having struggled all my life with constipation, I am now on medication for it as my bowel was causing urinary incontinence. This is causing problems with lockdown as I seem to be completely at the mercy of my bowel. My late brother suffered terribly with IBS and a lot of his anxiety was about being caught short whilst out and about. I used to think that it was silly to be anxious about such a thing but now I realise how much he must have suffered. Before anybody says use pads, I am unable to wear them.

KathrynP Tue 23-Jun-20 11:56:26

I was stuck in a very long traffic jam on the M5 on Christmas Day. Sadly there had been a fatal accident and as you all know that means closing the road for about 4 hours! I was full of Xmas fare and dying for a wee. The men were getting out of the cars and going up the slight incline and behind some sparse bushes but not much protection as dusk fell I decided I couldn't wait any longer and went up the bank. Turned round to look down on the cars and thought that the hedgerows provided just about enough coverage to protect my modesty, mid flow horror of horrors just about every ambulance and fire engine in the county went past on the hard shoulder with blue lights flashing! It was like being on a West End stage!

Nannan2 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:54:20

Bluebelle&Froglady gringrin?

maureen118 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:47:43

you could try a 'travel John' you can use discreetly in the car with no prying eyes! ... available from amazon . granules soak up fluid you can seal it and dispose of later.

Hellsbelles Tue 23-Jun-20 11:42:00

I bought one , tried at home- all good.
Out the other day and felt ' the need '
came home sat on a plastic bag !

Ashcombe Tue 23-Jun-20 11:37:39

In normal circumstances, I travel (solo) by car to and from France to be with my husband who lives there. Occasionally, if necessary in rural areas, I’ve actually used my Shepee whilst sitting in the car, protecting the upholstery with a towel then copious tissues. Works better if I'm wearing a skirt to shield my modesty! The most memorable occasion was on a journey when I was stranded on the A31 due to The Beast From the East on March 1st, 2018. The wind was so strong the sleet was horizontal so “performing” next to the car might well have led to yellow icicles!

MerylStreep Tue 23-Jun-20 11:29:32

The last time I used mine was in the car park at Kew Gardens.
?

Bijou Tue 23-Jun-20 11:28:10

When I was little in the 1930s coaches (we called them charabangs then) would stop at the side of the road and the women would go behind the hedge and the men line up in front of the hedge.
At some fetes the ladies toilets were a tent with a row of portable toilets all in a row. No hand washing facilities.
In France those days in towns women would squat in the gutter while the men had pissoirs (urinals).
The camp site toilets were a plank over a ditch so we carried a shovel in the car and waited till we found some woods.
Travelling in Belgium in the 60s my husband pulled up at garage and asked for the toilet and was pointed to the wall in full view of the road. Good thing I didn’t want to go.
Last Sunday, my nephew who lives near the coast in Dorset caught some girls peeing in his front garden.

Liz46 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:23:34

Grannyguitar

My mum-in-law went for a 'wild wee' some years back, and thought how odd the hedge the other side of the field looked - it seemed to be moving. Then she realised it was a platoon of soldiers with camouflage leaves on their helmets, approaching her at a steady pace! She had to finish, then dashed back to the car screaming at the driver to depart quickly!

That made me laugh out loud! Thanks Grannyguitar.

TATT Tue 23-Jun-20 11:22:37

I bought a SheWee before a trip abroad and practised like mad before I went. I really should dig it out again, because I’m not as able as I once was in the squatting department. blush

Lynmary Tue 23-Jun-20 11:21:25

@Froglady totally sympathise with you and the other two ladies. I have a like problem and it affects me trying to get out and about. Due to multiple major abdominal surgeries. I have bowel and bladder problems and it's a nightmare. Also I can't squat behind a bush or over loos easily, as I have a very wonky knee. Wide mouth plastic jug works great for a wee, take it in your large handbag, with some antibac wipes. Suits for dirty loos etc. and easy to use.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:15:16

I find a shewee much easier to use if I am not wearing underpants! It is very easy to wet them when you finish!

Otherwise it is a great invention and you can use it too in some of the less salubrious public toilets when they open again.

Hawera1 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:09:06

Yes I have resorted to Imodium

Hawera1 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:07:58

When I need to go I can't wait hence incontinence pads or knickers. Likewise with my bowel. I always carry spare pants and wipes. Nothing worse though going to.a public toilet and no toilet paper. I've been fooled by paper as dispensers don't always work either.

Candelle Tue 23-Jun-20 11:00:18

I needed a wee whilst we were driving home from Italy. We had just reached Switzerland when I really needed to wee so we started looking for loos.

After a short while we found a public loo but after dashing up to the door found that the ladies loo was shut and I was too embarrassed to use the mens which was really busy so back into the car to continue our journey, still searching for a loo.

Giving up on the idea of a porcelain throne I looked for a bush nearish the road but the terrain was such that wherever we were was overlooked (it's quite hilly in Switzerland!).

We drove for I think it was for over four hours and couldn't find anywhere not overlooked and it was agony. Reaching a loo at last was the very best feeling!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 23-Jun-20 10:49:23

Sounds a fantastic idea I’ve never heard of them

Authoress Tue 23-Jun-20 10:45:50

I am an amateur archaeologist and am often out in the wilds without access to a toilet. I find I have about an 80% success rate with the SheWee - so 1 in 5 attempts are a complete disaster...

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 23-Jun-20 10:41:13

Love the term "wild wee" too. ?
As a cyclist, loose legged shorts are my answer, pulled to one side, or the full moon if there is a bush handy.
Isn't it amazing how many people appear when you want a wee, though?.....