Gransnet forums

Chat

Magpie with broken/drooping wing

(8 Posts)
Witzend Wed 24-Jun-20 09:55:44

Thanks v much for replies.
TBH I don’t feel like taking it to a rescue centre - or trying to - we have an awful lot of magpies around here and we’re much more fond of the smaller birds they typically prey on.

Dh put out a load of dried mealworms yesterday, for the ground feeders - magpie was busy picking up beakfuls and burying them in the lawn! Presumably it can’t be too hungry, then.
I wasn’t aware that magpies buried food, but then jays, also I think crow family, do. We often find a baby horse chestnut growing a long way from the nearest HC tree, so I suspect it’s down to the jays that we see now and then, though more often in winter.

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:00:30

should have been 'and not be able to fly'blush

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:59:36

Just a thought, on 2 separate occasions we've had a herring gull land on our roof terrace and be able to fly put due to lack of space, high walls either side and a high glass 'wall' to the front.

Mr. S. on both occasions has managed without any help from me to catch them by throwing a sheet over them to cover them, and then picking them up. They're momentarily too confused to react by which time he's managed to get down one flight of stairs and out of our front door. My job was door opener.

They're big and quite aggressive birds at least twice the size of a magpie I'd say, so maybe if you had something to hand to put the bird in, it might be worth a try.

moggie57 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:57:18

try a towel or a cardboard box ,then contact your local wildlife expert. broken wings can be mended..there must be a wildlife place local to you that could pick it up. even a pigeon place would have him.

lemongrove Tue 23-Jun-20 13:56:10

I think you are doing the right thing, is there anything that would make a better perch for it at nights?
All the crow family can become fairly tame if fed, and they are intelligent.
If the injury heals itself, in time it may just fly away.
Well done.?

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:53:17

It's upsetting isn't it when you have an injured bird and there's really not much you can for it. I think it would have to be a rather brave and large cat to take on a magpie but yes, a fox could take it.

I'm surprised a broken wing isn't considered grounds for euthanasia as unless, if you were able to catch it that is, there's a sanctuary that could take it off you and repair the damage, the poor things chances of survival aren't good are they.

Do keep us posted so we know how your magpie's doing. You and your DH are very kindflowers.

Grandmafrench Tue 23-Jun-20 13:53:12

Would you be able to catch him? If he can't fly and comes for food, a couple of you might be able to corner him with a cage or a cardboard box, or a towel of some sort? A Vet would treat him and advise you - they normally give first aid or treatment to wild animals and birds without charge - and he should be able to let you know which is the closest sanctuary to you where the bird would be taken in and cared for until he has recovered. You're a star for caring !

Witzend Tue 23-Jun-20 13:44:01

It’s been around for at least 10 days now. I don’t really like magpies but I don’t want it to starve to death so have been putting some food out - it’s usually lurking in the shrubs (plenty of cover in our garden) but it always knows and comes straight out. It’s also hoovering up crumbs from our several bird feeders and is a frequent visitor to our bird baths for a drink.

TBH I’d have thought a cat or fox would have got it by now. Dh did google what to do, but advice was that a broken wing was not sufficient grounds for euthanasia, even if we could catch it, which I doubt.

It often shelters at night in a covered passage at the side of our house - the paving slabs are now generously decorated with splotches of poo! It’s evidently perching on a bike of dh’s - just as well not his fancy one - since the chain is now also splodged with magpie poo.

I’ve got a chicken carcass simmering up for stock at the mo so I’ll be putting some of the manky bits (the ones I used to strip off the bones for our dog when we had one) out for it later.

We shall see, but in the meantime we shall have to reclaim the pressure washer lent to dd and SiL ages ago, to de-poo our side passage.