Gransnet forums

Chat

Blistering hot here already!

(29 Posts)
Witzend Wed 24-Jun-20 10:58:20

32.1 deg outside the kitchen window ATM - outer SW London.

We are off to a dd later for a SD garden meet-up. They've recently acquired a mini above-ground pool, just big enough for little Gdcs to swim in.
When we went last week little Gdd very kindly told me that it didn’t matter if I hadn’t brought my swimming costume - I could go in naked ?.

Easy to say then, Thank you, darling, but it’s just a bit too cold for Granny - however I think I might well take my cozzie this time, sit in lovely cool water while someone brings me a nice long G&T!

nanny2507 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:29:49

pinkcakes clumber is gorgeous due to a disability i like to take my dog to where it can be off lead and in clumber they have the woods where its also a bike route. they can be off the lead there. Shame about the parking cost though. I like sherwood forest too but alot of dogs get ticks there

PinkCakes Wed 24-Jun-20 22:09:07

nanny2507 Attenborough. I hadn't been there for years.
We've got lots of lovely green spaces and I've been going to lots since the lockdown - Rufford park, Newstead Abbey , Wollaton park, Clumber park, Trent embankment, Rushcliffe park, Gedling country park, and then Markeaton park in Derby.

Witzend Wed 24-Jun-20 22:08:22

Well, I did join Gdcs in their pool for 10 minutes - amazing how the water’s warmed up since last week. They were hardly out of it all afternoon - Gds (nearly 4) was busy perfecting his signature belly-flop off the top step.
No G&T was forthcoming but barman SiL didn’t need any prompting to top up the wine. ?

nanny2507 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:23:43

pinkcakes i,m notts too. what nature reserve did you pop too. x

BBbevan Wed 24-Jun-20 19:19:38

Me too Bluebelle. We went for our walk, beside the sea, as it was already warm by 8. Had a quick dip and then home ( 3mins) for breakfast.

diygran Wed 24-Jun-20 19:18:34

Marydoll
Hope temperature warmed up for you in afternoon. Was 25 degrees here on Scottish east coast. Luckily the wind helped us keep our cool.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:16:03

Just laid the table outside, still warm and sunny......Barbecued Chilli Prawns followed by minted lamb steaks and salad.....I love the summer ?‍♀️

PinkCakes Wed 24-Jun-20 18:36:20

I'm in Nottingham, and it's been very warm indeed all day. After work - I finished at noon today - I went with my husband to a lovely nature reserve, saw swans, geese, ducks, horses and cows, which was all very nice - but we sat on a bench every 100 yards or so (we walked 5 miles). Too hot.

Hetty58 Wed 24-Jun-20 15:34:05

At least it's still nice and cool indoors. I opened all the doors and windows at 5 am (when I got up) and closed them, plus blinds and curtains, at 7.30 am. I had the garden watered by then too! They will stay shut until it's cooler outside than in.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Jun-20 15:28:18

I am toying with idea of going down for a swim later when it isn’t so hot. Tide is low at about 8pm I think.

Depends how lazy I am feeling

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jun-20 15:27:58

??it was beautiful now drying off in my back garden

sodapop Wed 24-Jun-20 15:24:07

You can go right off people BlueBelle grin hope you enjoy your swim.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jun-20 13:18:23

Hope I don’t make you all jealous but now going for a swim in the sea

Witzend Wed 24-Jun-20 13:15:15

Sorry, @Marydoll!
I think there are some who’d gladly swop with you, though.

I do find that our house stays fairly cool inside, as long as I close both windows and curtains soon enough, wherever the sun’s going to be blazing down.

sodapop Wed 24-Jun-20 12:34:33

That sounds like a really pleasant way to spend an hour or two Sar53 wish I could join you. 32 degrees here.

Sar53 Wed 24-Jun-20 12:25:06

We took a flask of coffee and biscuits and spent an hour sitting on a bench watching the boats meandering up the Thames Estuary. There was a slight breeze but very pleasant.

Mapleleaf Wed 24-Jun-20 12:23:46

Yes, it’s very hot here, too, in Yorkshire. I do like it, but find that if it gets very hot I have to decamp indoors, which I’m doing right now, as at the moment there is no shade at all even with the awning open.
Socially distancing with friends later. My friend has a very shady garden, with big trees, so we should be ok. Will put on plenty of sun cream and take my hat and some water to drink.
I think a big problem here in the UK is that our houses were not built to cope with very hot weather - they just seem to hold the heat even with blinds drawn, curtains closed and windows shut until the cooler evening temps reach us to allow us to open them up and let the cooler air waft through.
?

Hetty58 Wed 24-Jun-20 12:10:00

Too hot here for me (Essex/NE London) so stuck indoors, looking forward to a cooler evening, despite having spent ages putting up pergolas and sails - never mind.

annodomini Wed 24-Jun-20 12:05:53

Just put some washing on the line. I expect it to be dry within the hour!
Would I be tempting providence if I got my fans down from the top of the landing cupboard?

merlotgran Wed 24-Jun-20 12:02:23

I've finally given up in the veg garden (thinning turnips, swede and beetroot) and come in for a lovely cool glass of lemonade.

28 here but our big skies make it feel even hotter.

Not complaining. I love hot summers but mad dogs and all that!!

crazyH Wed 24-Jun-20 12:01:55

Too hot - my chest is so tight and congested ?

Oopsminty Wed 24-Jun-20 11:55:23

I'm in the north west and it's about 28 degrees.

Allegedly

Feels more like 38

GrandmaMoira Wed 24-Jun-20 11:53:49

It's too hot to be outside here. It's a day for not doing much when it's this hot.

Marydoll Wed 24-Jun-20 11:51:57

Stop rubbing it in ! Its only 19 degress in my garden in Glasgow . sad

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 24-Jun-20 11:48:35

I’m indoors, too hot outside, so indoors with kindle, music and maybe make some masks, if I feel better this afternoon .