Gransnet forums

Chat

Wrong...but oh so good..

(68 Posts)
farview Wed 24-Jun-20 16:40:50

I went in my sons garden this morning to see one of my younger grandsons...he turned 4today..and although i have seen him a couple of times during lockdown..its been at a distance...but today as i sat down in the garden he came running over and flung his arms around me...and i just held him so tight,eyes filled up..i felt so emotional..it was just so wonderful to hold him...tears streaming again as i write this...so i know i shouldn't have...but it just happened !

farview Sat 27-Jun-20 11:55:56

I've loved reading all your posts...couldn't reply as a couple of hours after starting the thread ..four drunks in a stolen car..hit my neighbours wall and the telegraph pole which completely snapped, wrenched all our lines down..so have no landline or broadband...anyway...beautiful responses...hugs to you all?

MissAdventure Fri 26-Jun-20 15:50:31

Including the risk of passing it on to others outside your families. smile

KathyMed Fri 26-Jun-20 14:17:39

I think we all have to make our own sensible judgement and at the same time not judge others whose risk assessment brings them to a different conclusion. I have also been concerned for some time as to the psychological effect on little ones of those who love them and they love of withholding physical affection. The very young ones do not understand but can feel emotional rejection. I am not staying don't be careful but rather make a measured judgement of all the risks.

janeainsworth Thu 25-Jun-20 21:21:17

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who has stuck to the guidance and resisted all temptation to hold my beloved 5 month old granddaughter in my arms, although we have seen her from 6ft away.
I was beginning to feel really stupid.
Like you Bluecat our DD says she couldn’t bear it if we caught the virus through them.

BonnieBlooming Thu 25-Jun-20 20:48:09

My wee DGS is 13 months. He was a baby at the beginning of lockdown and is now a toddler. We have seen him from a distance up until now, no party for his 1st Birthday. Today he came with DD and I threw caution to the winds! Held his wee hand, had him on my knee and played with him. Best thing ever! My poor DD is 30 weeks pregnant, feeling the heat and desperate for help and that's what I am going to do from now on including looking after my darling DGS.

Cymres1 Thu 25-Jun-20 19:52:51

Just cried reading it. So happy for you.

rosekearsey Thu 25-Jun-20 17:01:09

My youngest daughter lives over the road - and yes I know I am very lucky . Seeing them through glass - better than nothing but today We all walked to their beach hut for a picnic lunch and swam in the sea together- pure joy holding hands in the waves !!!

glammagran Thu 25-Jun-20 16:25:53

My nearly 22 month old Came into the house about a month ago (neither family been out other than exercise). She remembered where everything in the house was. First thing she did was give me my glasses from coffee table and tv remote control (she’s quite the bully). Had her every Tuesday for a month so parents can WFH. Sadly she has gone back to her one day at nursery yesterday (desperately needed by her) so we aren’t sure how we will meet up now. We accepted out daughters decision to send her back but other gps who had her in Monday’s are very upset and argue they want her at their own risk. They are older than us and have a parent in their 90’s living with them currently

cmwmoonshine Thu 25-Jun-20 15:58:27

Plus DD said she had been desperate for a mummy cuddle

cmwmoonshine Thu 25-Jun-20 15:57:09

We had a gloved and masked cuddle with GC on father's day as SIL is NHS and DH has Alzheimer's and COPD but I've told GS I'll be on his doorstep at 9am on the dot next Saturday to "baby sit" ! We were worried GD wouldn't remember grandma as she is only 6 months but as we have been video calling she was all smiles !
Who cares GC need hugs as much as we do!

Pinkrinse Thu 25-Jun-20 15:31:54

First hug with 2.5 year old grandson this morning.
Lovely , had waist hug 3 weeks ago with 7 year old, as she cried ‘cos she wanted to hug Nanny. Baby steps, but the world feels a better place.

Kate1949 Thu 25-Jun-20 15:15:20

Same here. It feels strange not to hug our granddaughter but we have resisted. She won't anyway. She said she'd never forgive herself if she infected us.

Granjax33 Thu 25-Jun-20 15:05:28

Bluecat I am exactly the same oh so tempted to hold the grandchildren but listening to concerns of my own adult children. Thing is will we ever feel totally safe again. I despair some days.

Bluecat Thu 25-Jun-20 14:44:27

It's all about the risks you're prepared to take. There is no right or wrong, providing you don't pass those risks on to other people.

I want to hug my grandchildren but, so far, I have kept my distance. My DD says that they could not bear it if her family were the ones who gave us the virus, and we died. I don't know when we will feel safe. Maybe when the infection rate falls. Here in Leicester, it's going in the wrong direction.

I do miss those cuddles, and I desperately want to hug my DD. My other DD and grandchildren live 4,000 miles away, so no hugs for them.

absthame Thu 25-Jun-20 14:43:18

My wife and I are green with envy...........W've not had our first cuddle with our latest great-grandson, miss our 3 more distant GGchildren and yes we've seen our 4 GGc who live some 20 miles away 3 times, distanced by farm gates and fencing. But we'd rather miss them for a period than miss the next 10-20 years.

Sharman Thu 25-Jun-20 13:42:49

On Monday my Grandson brought his 5 day old daughter to see me for the first time together with his one and a half year old son and their Mum. I held my new Great Granddaughter in my arms for five minutes and played with my mischievous Great Grandson, too. It was so wonderful after 14 weeks of lock down. Never feel guilty about giving love.

Mal44 Thu 25-Jun-20 13:29:49

I have invited my daughter husband and grandson to dinner on Sunday.It will be the first time they have been here since lockdown.I don’t see the point of Boris insisting on certain date for a family to meet!We don’t have to prepare the same as pubs and hairdressers!
So looking forward to Sunday,
Stay safe everyone.

allium Thu 25-Jun-20 13:28:42

Can't see anything wrong.

Pippet Thu 25-Jun-20 13:22:21

❤️? Same my end. Take care

Longdistancegrnny Thu 25-Jun-20 12:50:26

Here here BlueSky - my DD's area of Australia is reporting new cases and has gone a step backwards, wondering if that means even longer to wait before we can see them. But pleased for all you grans now cuddling away! My friend was able to form a bubble just in time for her DGS's 1st Birthday - it gave her so much joy.

hapgran Thu 25-Jun-20 12:46:03

Sadgrandma- I think somewhere it says that from July 4th family members are allowed to provide childcare. What I don't get is that if, however, you are visiting or staying the night with one other household you still have to social distance. But you are obviously can't do that if you are providing the childcare. Confusing...?

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 12:41:47

Meryl!!!grin

MerylStreep Thu 25-Jun-20 12:32:48

I went along with the rules until Neil Ferguson and his married lover decided the rules didn't apply to them when they wanted to play Hide the Sausage.
From then on my attitude was: if it's ok for your girlfriend to come to your house, I'm going to my daughters.
If it's ok for him and his girlfriend to have skin contact ? it's ok for me to hug my daughter and grandchildren.
After that incident ( and many more) I said to them all ( metaphorically) well from now on you can all go and #**# yourselves.

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 12:09:37

I don't want to mention this again but us long distance grans don't know when, or indeed if, we'll be lucky to see and hug our DGC and sons and daughters again...sad

bumblebee34 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:03:07

This has been so tough for everybody. I was used to looking after my almost 3 years old grandson 2 days a week before lockdown and of course hadn’t seen him for weeks.
Mum and dad have both been working from home but both jobs involve lots of client calls so life has been very hard despite them trying to arrange client calls so one of them was available for grandson at least some of the time during the day. Employers aren’t always sympathetic to childcare problems.

Anyway I went and looked after him at theirs on Tuesday to get back to helping out again and it was lovely, we were able to spend most of the time outdoors in the garden doing different things, he loved having a playmate who didn’t have to dash in for phone calls etc!

The thing that was really hard was when it was time to go, grandson got very upset and kept saying ‘do you need me nonna?..........do you need to take me with you?......you do need to take me with you don’t you’. I teared up and had a cry when I got into my car.

I think he coped well while not seeing me and just doing FaceTime stories etc but the strain obviously showed when physically seeing me again and then having to part as he probably thought it might be for weeks again despite me telling him I would see him in a few days, they have no concept of time do they. I just hope things settle down when he sees me more regularly now. This whole nightmare has had far reaching effects on us all I think.