Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling very hurt at not being invited to party

(83 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sat 27-Jun-20 04:18:20

Hetty58 - it's not about whether or not there should e a party during a pandemic. It's about being invited or not.

Hetty58 Sat 27-Jun-20 04:03:38

It's totally idiotic and irresponsible to have a party in the middle of a pandemic. Why would you want to go?

GrandmaKT Sat 27-Jun-20 03:47:32

Ah that's great Chewbacca, good for you!
Coincidentally, I'm feeling a bit put out about a party myself today. We are living in temp accommodation near my DS and Dil and DGS. Whilst we have been here (5 months) I have looked after DGS 3 days a week while DIL works, and in the evenings whenever they need me. No problemes there, I love having him. This weekend, Dil's mother is visiting, staying at their house. I heard Dil ask her if she could babysit on Saturday night so she could go to a colleague's 60th birthday party. She said to her mum "unless you'd like to come to the party?", and her mum said no, she'd be happy to babysit.
This morning, Dil texted me and asked if I was doing anything tonight. I said no, thinking, how nice, she knows that I don't have any friends here and, knowing I am the same age as the host, is going to take me to the party. So the next text reads "Great! Can you look after DGS as my mum has said she'd like to come to the party!"
Walked into that one!" hmm

Chewbacca Fri 26-Jun-20 23:32:59

After living for more than 40 years in a small village where most of us knew each other very well, I moved to this house last summer. Although the neighbours were friendly enough and said hello, there wasn't the same "friendliness" that I'd enjoyed at my old home. So a week before last Christmas, I stuck a post it note on to some Christmas cards, inviting my neighbours in for a Christmas drink so that we could meet up and get to know each other a little bit. I didn't know how many, if any, would actually turn up. In the event, everyone turned up and we had a brilliant pre Christmas party that went on until very late. On VE Day, we all got together and had a socially distanced party. Tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting, we're doing it again.

Be brave SheilsM, make the first move.

Esspee Fri 26-Jun-20 23:08:40

Perhaps you are away so much you simply aren't thought of as a local? I echo Maw's suggestion, invite some of them round.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 26-Jun-20 23:06:49

SheilsM. I feel for you. I have neighbours who have lots of parties and social evenings and I don’t get invited as they only have couples in the evening. I do get asked for a cup of tea occasionally of a morning and have to endure hearing about the party past and party to come. It really stings doesn’t it? When my neighbours asked to borrow chairs and dishes, but I clearly wasn’t invited I directed her to a hire company. I felt guilty but it seemed so hurtful.
I hope you can see your family soon. ?

MawB Fri 26-Jun-20 22:59:51

Well correct me if I am wrong, but nobody shouldn’t be having parties yet should they?
Nobody likes feeling left out so I do sympathise.
Perhaps you will have to take the initiative and invite some of them round to yours - NOT that they deserve it!

SheilsM Fri 26-Jun-20 22:57:18

I live in a small hamlet. I have a lot of acquaintances here but only one real friend as in “normal” life I spent a lot of the year going to France. But I try to be friendly with everyone. Tonight there was a party and I wasn’t invited. I know from my friend that lots of people including her and her partner were going. I just heard a gang of people all going past my cottage presumably on their way home. I live on my own and am so hurt I can’t get to sleep. It’s helped to just write about it on here.
My only family live in France (my son and family) so cant imagine when I’ll see them next. So feeling incredibly lonely.