Gransnet forums

Chat

The Best Meal You Ever Had?......[smile]

(31 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Jun-20 09:37:37

And now I really want their saag paneer for lunch.... sad

Witzend Sun 28-Jun-20 09:37:09

@Framilode, a friend who used to run a pub and do nearly all the cooking, had a regular customer who often asked for a double prawn cocktail as a main course. Of course he always obliged, and eventually put ‘Giant Prawn Cocktail’ on the regular ‘mains’ menu.
It proved to be a bestseller!

Eventually our friend

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Jun-20 09:33:26

My first proper curry, as a student in 1972. Mushroom and veg, with chappatis, and we took the spare ones home to mould into ashtrays. I’ve been a curry addict ever since, and that scruffy basement restaurant is still my favourite. I’ve given up the fags though. smile

Witzend Sun 28-Jun-20 09:32:15

Might sound odd, but one of the very best was a saffron risotto - just that, nothing added - at an Italian restaurant. It was sublime!

Another was just at a pub somewhere in Wales - smoked haddock with a topping of Welsh Rarebit. I often think I must copy that, but have never got around to it.

Funnily enough, none of the many meals I’ve had at much fancier/more expensive places have been anything like as memorable.

Framilode Sun 28-Jun-20 09:26:18

My very first prawn cocktail in the 60's. It seemed so sophisticated and I just loved the taste. I have adored them ever since.

DanniRae Sun 28-Jun-20 09:22:20

Following on from your favourite 'Last Meals' which meal will you remember for ever?

To start.........When I was pregnant with my first baby I had terrible morning sickness. When I finally felt that I could enjoy a proper meal my mother in law cooked me fish in parsley sauce, mashed potatoes and peas. Delicious!!