Gransnet forums

Chat

Social media is it just me?

(62 Posts)
Judy54 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:52:47

It seems as though I am in the minority by not using or having any interest in social media. Gransnet is the only social forum I am on and yes sometimes there can be nasty comments but not in the same league as the trolling on sites like facebook. Indeed I know people who have stopped using facebook and other similar sites because of the vile comments they have received. I certainly have no intention of joining any such forums now or in the foreseeable future. Does anyone else feel like thi?

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 30-Jun-20 00:14:26

I agree with comments about the extremely unpleasant comments I see on GN. I've tried on a few occasions to report some with no success at all.

I'm on FB and follow a few excellent pages. Admin for those pages are brilliant and reports are taken seriously. I like that you can block people or snooze friends for 30 days! Admin also appear to monitor the comments. There's far more flexibility with FB than GN. You can turn off further comments or admin will do it. You can edit or delete your comment (wish GN was like this).

It's been said before but GN comments feature a lot on FB.

Witzend Mon 29-Jun-20 23:50:32

I only joined FB around 5 yrs ago because dd said she was going to be posting pics of Gdd1 there. But she and SiL have hardly used it for ages - it’s all WhatsApp now - we have a family group. So I rarely look at FB any more.

ExD Mon 29-Jun-20 14:20:53

I think we have to be very very careful over the choice of words we use on social media. Its so easy to be misunderstood just because no-one can see our faces or hear the tone of voice we're using.

GillT57 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:10:58

I have my FB privacy settings set high. I have found it invaluable during lockdown to access our local village hub for information on how the local shop is handling safe distancing, which local pubs are now doing takeaways, a local wedding florist who has opened a stall on her front drive to sell flowers to try to make ends meet, etc., etc. It has, in general, been helpful and makes us still be a community, even if we are all safely tucked indoors or our own gardens. A few people have posted advertising free to collect greenhouse surplus,children's toys, books ( obviously a lot of clearing out going on), and I think that perhaps those who are frightened of FB should give it another try. Anyone using GN is able to google how to make their FB settings private. Yes, there is a fair bit of piffle and nonsense on there, and no, I am not interested in 'news' about Peter Andre's family life, but when you buy a newspaper there are some bits of interest and some bits you flick over.

Rosalyn69 Mon 29-Jun-20 13:47:47

No I hadn’t forgotten BlueBelle.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Jun-20 13:33:23

I really don’t like social media. It brings out the worst in faceless people - a licence to be unpleasant

But you’re on social media here Rosylyn69 ??? had you forgotten
What I do like about FB is if I make a comment quickly (which I can be guilty of if I feel passionate about something) then having second feelings about getting involved I can delete it
So many people who complain about fb aren’t on and never have been
Gransnet is a lot lot less safe than fb, as I have no idea who I m talking to, I ve no idea who could use anything I say against me, I have no idea if my comments will end up in the daily press or on GN Facebook page ...at least with fb you know who will be seeing your remarks or your photos and yes I ve always put photos on fb that way my children and grandchildren overseas can still see me

Judy54 Mon 29-Jun-20 13:32:57

Thank you all for your interesting replies. It seems some of us do and don't use Facebook and some of us do and don't like it. I do understand how important it has been for people during lock down and for those who have family and friends all over the globe. At the moment I am quite happy keeping in touch by phone (lovely to hear a voice) email and text. You never know I may change my mind at some time in the future. Thanks again for sharing your views.

PamelaJ1 Mon 29-Jun-20 13:18:22

Any site that I’m on in real person mode is restricted to family only. It can get tricky though. Some family aren’t always as concerned as others about privacy so I only share private information with a trusted few. The ones that won’t share anything or tag anything.

Actually now that I’ve read some of these posts I am wondering if I should change my user name.

GGumteenth Mon 29-Jun-20 12:47:21

I wouldn't be without it. We have a family WhatsApp group that starts, from my point of view, when the UK family get up and catch up with the overnight posts, We get a "good morning" from my American family about lunch time and another from my Australian family round about when I am thinking of going to bed.

We have a smaller group with my son, daughter and their families on FB Messenger where I can see videos of children and gardens and all the things that matter to them.

Facebook itself keeps me in touch with friends (actual ones) old and new, what my old school, etc., is doing and far to many sewing groups and embroidery machine groups which are full of very kind and generous people. I have blanched at couple of times at a re-posted post but I have never seen anything to terrible.

Oh and our small town has a page where a small dog keeps me up to date with what's opening and what's not and what's happening in the town and around about. It's weird but it makes me smile.

You just have to be selective.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:21:51

I use Facebook in a limited way and that's how I want to keep it. My photo is one of my (now late) cat as I don't want my face splattered all over it. It's good to see pictures of family days out and that sort of thing - it's taken the place of the traditional postcard. I sometimes comment on local matters but I'm very wary of trolls.
There are some very immature and unpleasant people who make silly comments - I wonder what they're like in real life? An innocent complaint can go on and it's astonishing how it can escalate as it does on any site.
I look at Mumsnet which can get quite nasty. Sometimes I comment on an innocent subject but that's as far as it goes.

Dorsetcupcake61 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:22:28

I have avoided facebook until lock down started and unwillingly downloaded it so could find out about local services and supplies etc. It has been very useful for that. I also joined a very lovely knitting group. My privacy settings on highest level. I only have real life friends and never post anything personal such as photos. I'm not very trusting of FB as a company.

Oldwoman70 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:46:52

I agree with dizzyblonde and Furret - GN is sometimes extremely unpleasant. I belong to a couple of other forums for older people and find discussions don't descend into name calling and insults - you know, adult conversation. I am also on Facebook but have a limited number of "friends" and only people I have met. I have never experienced any trolling or unpleasantness on Facebook.

Rosalyn69 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:31:10

I really don’t like social media. It brings out the worst in faceless people - a licence to be unpleasant.

Harris27 Mon 29-Jun-20 09:42:40

They all use Facebook at work and I don’t. I’m normally a very private person but sociable. I like to chat at work and have close friends but again don’t do Facebook have had a quick look at it but it’s not for me.

Alexa Mon 29-Jun-20 09:39:43

One of my interests is a minority interest and I'd be seriously deprived without the social medium that allows me to 'meet' others with similar interest.

Bellasnana Mon 29-Jun-20 09:14:45

I don’t agree with the OP. I’ve been on FB for ten years, admittedly I was a bit wary at first, but as has been said upthread, I am careful about who I’m friends with and can honestly say I have never found it anything but a positive and useful way to keep in contact with family and friends who are scattered far and wide.

If I read something I don’t care for, I scroll on. There’s no need to react to every comment or post that you don’t like.
I also delete people who hold views that I don’t share on certain subjects.

I have seen far more nastiness, cattiness and outright snobbery on Gransnet, to be honest and it does concern me that we actually have no privacy whatsoever on here as regards who can see our posts.

I do understand how some people might not want to sign up to Facebook, just as I’m not tempted by Twitter, WhatsApp and the like, but it is not the work of the Devil that some seem to think it is.

dragonfly46 Mon 29-Jun-20 08:44:06

This forum is far more open than Facebook. Strangers cannot see any of my posts on Facebook but this forum is open to anyone. I am often astonished at some of the pictures people post on here particularly of DGC.

Posts on here have turned up on Facebook and the national newspapers.

Franbern Mon 29-Jun-20 08:30:53

Do use and enjoy Fb. Have for many years. My family are all there, and all friends on it are exactly that - real friends in my life. Never had any trolling. Also have interest groups, including local ones, which have proved very useful at times.

Also use the Fb Messenger system, find messages sent on that to my busy children get seen so much quicker than normal emails, as they get a 'ping' when one goes to them.

We have a private family only photo group in that also, which is great. Obviously, as all the people on my fb are genuine friends, most feel similar to me on current affairs, etc. I do keep a couple with different ideas, just to keep me down to earth.

I belong to Gn and one other similar Forum group.

Like everything in life, with care so much can be an asset. I do spend a lot of time refusing friend requests from people I do know, but do not think of as friends.

MerylStreep Mon 29-Jun-20 08:30:28

easybee
critical comments about residents behaviour during lockdown
A bit like GN then ?

Pittcity Mon 29-Jun-20 08:19:48

You can control what you see and what others see on Facebook. There is a chance to edit and delete.
I am in local groups and know what's going on. I can see what friends and family are up to.
Nothing to worry me there.

sodapop Mon 29-Jun-20 08:07:21

Yes that has caused me some concern from time to time BlueBelle. I am more circumspect in what personal details I reveal in my posts.

Furret Mon 29-Jun-20 08:00:56

dizzyblonde I agree 100%. This is the most aggressive forum I visit. Like you I only accept FB friends once I have scrutinised their backgrounds. If any appear to broach my moral code, eg racists, or bible thumpers, Trumpers, them they are quickly unfriended.

That way I’ve built up a lovely supportive network of FB friends who share my values. As in RL I choose not to surround myself with negativity.

eazybee Mon 29-Jun-20 07:11:07

This is the only social media site I visit. I have never used Facebook , although I did consider joining for OU purposes. I am still pursued by weekly invitations to join from people I have never heard of, five years later.
There is a village Facebook page, and I gather from people who use it it is full of critical comments about residents' behaviour during lockdown.

ladymuck Mon 29-Jun-20 07:02:13

My family members are scattered across the globe. Facebook is an easy way to keep in touch with them all. I also belong to a couple of groups connected with my personal interests. I don't share my life with the rest of the world, and can't understand those who do.
People can be very nasty, it's true, but that shouldn't stop you using social sites in a way which is convenient to you.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Jun-20 04:37:20

Do all the people who are so frightened and anti fb realise that Gransnet has a fb page and your posts can appear on there without your permission

Food for thought