Gransnet forums

Chat

My Peculiar Home Habits

(139 Posts)
YoungerThanILook Mon 29-Jun-20 19:37:59

I think I must have spent too long by myself in lockdown because I am starting to notice things like I have a favourite hob (bottom left), double light switches have to be facing the same way and I really don't like towels overlapping each other on the rail!

Is it just me? Surely I can’t be the only one with these strange idiosyncrasies? ?

GrannyfromWilmslow Tue 30-Jun-20 10:15:11

I do the blister pack trim too!

sf101 Tue 30-Jun-20 10:15:17

Grammaretto that's interesting I'm A+ and although not quite as 'mad' as some on here I do like everything in it's proper place. I've learnt to relax as the the grandkids make a mess and look forward to putting everything back in it's place.
Can't go to bed or leave the house if things not tidy.

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 30-Jun-20 10:15:41

Bonkers! The lot of you!
And of course me too....... sigh
Two favourite hobs. One for cooking fresh, and the other when cooking frozen.
Favourite mugs rarely get used, as l don't want to damage them : ridiculous....
Pegging out washing on the twirly line, so that each "Bay" is even.
Bonkers, l tell thee...... ??

timetogo2016 Tue 30-Jun-20 10:17:49

I too use bottom left hob,same cups/plates/towels and i have only just realised that i do it.
I put it down to being idle tbh.

Theoddbird Tue 30-Jun-20 10:23:28

Mine is that I don't notice dust. Surely I can't be the only one....

Blossoming Tue 30-Jun-20 10:26:45

Everything in this thread is perfectly reasonable and rational.

My OH does not put the spoons away all facing upwards. I may have to kill him if this goes on much longer.

sarahanew Tue 30-Jun-20 10:29:02

We all have our little ways that are different to other people's, it's what makes us us and our homes reflect the people we are. My little ways are logical to me. We are all noticing the way we do things more because we are in our homes more

Moggycuddler Tue 30-Jun-20 10:35:21

Not weird at all. I have all kinds of similar OCD things. I have a few fuddly toys on my bed and they have to be put in the same places every time I make the bed. Or they might be upset because they aren't next to their best friends.

Chewbacca Tue 30-Jun-20 10:37:32

Every morning, when I open the greenhouse door, I say "Good Morning my lovelies!" On Saturday morning, my next door neighbour called back "Morning Chewbacca!" grin

Joesoap Tue 30-Jun-20 10:45:09

Convinced I have OCD during this pandemic also I am blood group A,that says it all.
I dont seem to be alone according to this mornings thread.

Flakesdayout Tue 30-Jun-20 11:01:03

Great, I'm normal. Thank you. I tell my bed how much I love it as it is so comfortable. I will ask my wardrobe what should I wear if I have to go out. I caught myself talking to the litter tray this morning as it had been used (very rare) and as I picked up the present from the cat this morning, I asked it not to be dead. Then I had about an hour of sadnesss. I will dance with the cupboard doors on rare occasions, difficult to do a jive but hey its fun trying. I talk to objects around the home and ask the plants if they are happy to be watered. In fact I will chat to almost everything. I wont mention the dishwasher. And I am blood group A. neg. And reading this through it is clear that I am nuts,

DanniRae Tue 30-Jun-20 11:03:28

I cannot leave even one baked bean in the can - It's because I feel they have been grown, processed, canned and all for nothing.
I have two large teddy bears on my bed and I have a chat to them when I am making the bed.
Things on my coffee table....like coasters, magazines etc... have to be square to the edge.
I too trim blister packs to keep them 'tidy'.

I know there are more things to add to the list......I will be back grin

I too trim

Teddy123 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:07:24

Nope nothing strange. Sounds normal. Especially favourite hob plate being front left ?

Larissa67 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:12:49

What a reassuring post. I'm definitely a checker and worrier, but obviously in good company! For those with 'have I left the iron on?' anxiety, I think Rowenta used to make an iron that turned itself off if it hadn't been moved for five minutes. They'd sell millions if they revived it. Lexisgranny some of your 'quirkes' make very good sense and save time too. As for things having feelings, putting a face and smile on Henry the vacuum cleaner was a brilliant idea, he brightens up doing the cleaning chores. Though I now I always feel a little sad to put him away in the dark under the stairs!

schnackie Tue 30-Jun-20 11:35:03

I have 5 mugs. One for coffee, one for tea, one for hot chocolate and two for guests.

Scottiebear Tue 30-Jun-20 11:42:24

I'm talking to the birds in the garden. I'm sure my neighbour thinks I'm bonkers.

micky987 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:52:48

Ginny “ I found myself apologising to a vase this morning. Told it that I couldn’t use it as it was too wide but it would get a turn soon.
Also had a good chat with my sewing machine.”

?????

mistymitts Tue 30-Jun-20 12:07:04

So happy to find more like me. The light switch thing is so important. Other things, the Loo roll has to have the end falling over the top, not on the underside on the back. Towels should not touch each other on the rack! I am blood group B positive, and really am very ridiculous in my regimental routines and habits. I find it keeps my mind in a calmer state, and I can think more clearly. I don't really check the back door though, only once just before bed, although my ageing dog seems to be not hearing as well as she should and someone could walk in the house and she wouldn't hear!
I did spend two whole days frantic with panic, looking for a soft toy that belonged to my adult daughter who was caught in lockdown when travelling on the other side of the world. It seemed to be so significant that I should find it, and thereby know she was safe. She is still stuck travelling /working on the other side of the world, and I have told her to stay put as she is in New Zealand for the whole of lockdown. Her soft toy dog has brought me enormous comfort.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 30-Jun-20 12:16:13

I talk to plants but that's ok, they are alive after all.
Fussy habits in the house, only two that I can think of. When loading the dishwasher the cutlery has to be all knives in one compartment, all forks in the next and so on. It just makes it easier when unloading to grab a handful of knives and then straight into their place in the cutlery drawer, than having to sort them out.
My other habit is that the Loo seat must be down before flushing to stop any germs misting out into the room, and the door must be closed on leaving. That's a Feng Shui thing to stop your wealth going down the Loo ?

Mollygo Tue 30-Jun-20 12:16:22

I have 2 sets of 6 matching mugs, but they have to be weighed and matched in pairs of nearest weights. If that sounds odd, believe me they range from 290g to 403g in one set. It makes a difference when you make a drink.
In patience the aces must be hearts clubs diamonds spades order.
Oh and I now like the blinds open or closed with the slats in a particular direction.
Glad to know it’s not just me!
Roll on the easing of lockdown!

GillT57 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:16:42

Same colour pegs on each item hung on the washing line. Although not obsessive about housework ( far from it), hate untidiness so magazines have to be in a neat pile, remotes in basket, cushions plumped. Loo rolls can only have open edge over the top, it is law.

Azalea99 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:22:37

All knives on magnetic rack must face the same way, all spoons and forks must cuddle up in the same direction and all hangers go onto the rack pointing same way. OH (now XOH) never understood so whenever he comes to stay it’s all tipsy-turvy within days. It’s like straightening crooked pictures- you simply must do it.

Georgesgran Tue 30-Jun-20 12:29:29

Lexisgranny - I do that with blister tablets too! I also cut non-prescription meds into 2 tablet doses, so I can take them with me!
Gillybob - now that I’m out and about, I’m describing my journey aloud when driving, as if I’m sitting a Police driving test! Now, I shall rise from the sofa, take a left, left, left into the kitchen, checking the way forward is clear and giving way to crossing pedestrians!!!

Oh yes - need to get a life!!

DiscoGran Tue 30-Jun-20 12:30:53

I had a few of the same habits going on, even numbers only for the tv volume, straightening up edges of magazines etc.
But.......... last week I realised it was getting a bit out of hand and obsessive. So now I am deliberately doing the opposite. Odd numbers, untidy non regimented stuff, not matching socks, coffee in a tea mug shock feel strangely liberated.

Georgesgran Tue 30-Jun-20 12:33:24

Hannahloisluke - putting the loo seat down before flushing is just sensible. I’ve read/heard that germs can soar 6ft into the air otherwise, which is why toothbrushes should never be left near the loo! X