Gransnet forums

Chat

My Peculiar Home Habits

(139 Posts)
YoungerThanILook Mon 29-Jun-20 19:37:59

I think I must have spent too long by myself in lockdown because I am starting to notice things like I have a favourite hob (bottom left), double light switches have to be facing the same way and I really don't like towels overlapping each other on the rail!

Is it just me? Surely I can’t be the only one with these strange idiosyncrasies? ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:49:54

On arriving home after a drive out somewhere I always say, "thank you little car, you were marvellous!" as did my dear late husband. I remind it that I know I don't deserve it but will give it a wash soon and check its oil, etc.

I like to fold and hang towels so that the edges are facing away from the door (feng shui, apparently) as it looks nicer. Oh, and the ornaments on the mantelpiece are placed just so with identical spaces between each - perfectly normal!

My favourite hob is the back right.

When I prepare fruit or veg it's always with odd numbers, I don't know why, I just like them, that's all.

Ceaser15 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:51:05

I’ve got to the stage where I swear at such things if they don’t work immediately!!!

Guineagirl Tue 30-Jun-20 13:10:32

lemongrove, don’t worry I take a photo of the fridge door shut and hob off when I go away?

Alioop Tue 30-Jun-20 13:33:14

I do my clothes in colours& of course seasons. CDs in alphabetical order, pants arranged by everyday ones, holidays& special??( live on my own)! At least when I talk to the dog she cocks her head& it makes me feel like she understands. This is normal life, not just lockdown.

mimismo Tue 30-Jun-20 13:44:32

Gillt57, I had the same problem with coloured pegs and now always use wooden ones, now only have to check I have the right number in my hand before hanging something up!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:48:56

I talk to my computer, especially when it isn't doing what I want it to.

Hold long conversations with the cat.

Always hang washing out in groups, e.g. all shirts together, all my underwear together, then DH's underwear, teatowels. towels, dish cloths, napkins, hankies. (I thought everyone did that, until I saw some of the neighbours' clothes lines.

chrissyh Tue 30-Jun-20 14:06:46

When I empty the dishwasher I put all the mugs I take out at the back and those that haven't been used, to the front. Why? I don't know.

Riggie Tue 30-Jun-20 14:07:54

Lol about favourite burner on the hob. Me too!!

As for Mugs, Mr Riggie keeps giving me tea in a coffee mug. Grrr
(The tea mug is thin china, it tastes nicer - I am turning into my late mum!!)

annodomini Tue 30-Jun-20 14:11:38

I mostly use the lower left burner, but mainly because it's the fastest. Nothing else I do is specially logical! I rather like hanging all my many coloured knickers together as they then look like a row of bunting. blush

SusieFlo Tue 30-Jun-20 14:24:32

I have to pair up the socks on rotary washing line and they all have to fit on one section. Think it’s just to relieve the boredom of hanging it out. Then they all go into airing cupboard whether they need it or not!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 30-Jun-20 14:26:09

Check and double check all downstairs windows are locked before going to bed.
It is not unusual having gone to bed to then get up and double check they are.

RubyGran Tue 30-Jun-20 15:29:06

It's when I'm travelling on a bus or a train that my main idiosyncrasy really comes to the fore: I feel compelled to check that my ticket and travel card are still in the place they were when I last checked, sometimes only ten minutes previously! Sometimes, to ring the changes, I obsess over whether my house keys have mysteriously disappeared from my handbag.

Dottydots Tue 30-Jun-20 15:50:30

RubyGran, I must be your double as I could have posted your message word for word. It gets to be very wearing, doesn't it?

Greciangirl Tue 30-Jun-20 16:11:30

A touch of the OCD’s here I think.

dontmindstayinghome Tue 30-Jun-20 16:28:08

This post is so funny, so many of the things mentioned are common to so many of us.

I like things put away in their place but my OH much prefers leaving things out in case he needs to use them again - clothes, tools, the vacuum, clothes airer etc

He is the one who will re- stack the dishwasher because apparently I never put them in the correct placegrin.

I have to rearrange the washing on the clothes airer as he doesn't space them out correctlygrin

My pet hate is that he never winds the vacuum cleaner cord after he has used it - he just bunches it up and hangs it on the hook - I can't rest until i've wound it up properly.

4allweknow Tue 30-Jun-20 16:28:18

Grammaretto I am definitely blood group A. So its not my head, it's the stuff coursing three me that's to blame. I'm off to check all the knives in the cutlery drawer are facing the same way..

RubyGran Tue 30-Jun-20 16:54:44

Dottydots

RubyGran, I must be your double as I could have posted your message word for word. It gets to be very wearing, doesn't it?

Snap! I'm so glad it's not just me, Dottydots. It's definitely wearing, particularly if I'm lost in the book I'm reading and suddenly realise that I haven't checked for ages! (Well, 10 minutes, anyway!)

TwiceAsNice Tue 30-Jun-20 17:03:02

Always put the loo seat down before flushing so much more hygienic.

I have to have the hangers facing the same way in the wardrobe

I move the front door handle up and down to make sure door is locked

Always check stove is off before I go out even if I haven’t cooked for hours!

Have to dust in a particular order

Always use the same mug for first cup of tea of the day

We are all OCD in a way that makes sense to us. As long as it’s not taking over our lives ( like taking 2 hours to get out the door) who cares it all alleviates subconscious stress

moggie57 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:06:44

me too. i have to make sure everything is turned off... windows shut even though i'm in a 1st floor flat......and the shower turned off...i usually forget something like my water bottle....

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:08:45

4allweknow

Grammaretto I am definitely blood group A. So its not my head, it's the stuff coursing three me that's to blame. I'm off to check all the knives in the cutlery drawer are facing the same way..

?

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:11:09

I have a friend who is always late....for everything, so much so that I give her a time to meet me at least half an hour ahead of the time I want to meet, that way there’s some chance she will be reasonably on time.She faffs about ( her words) and finds it hard to leave the house quickly.We all have our funny little ways.I too have a mug that’s for breakfast time only.?

Tallyann1 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:21:50

Jane 10.....???

Peardrop50 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:44:55

Completely and utterly outrageously bonkers all of you, at last I've found my tribe.

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:46:29

Welcome Peardrop ?

Anneeba Tue 30-Jun-20 17:58:15

Like Discogran I started getting annoyed that everything, including individual sheets of loo roll, flowers deadheaded, spoons of flour in bread machine, number of slices of fruit etc had to be an even number. So now I mentally generate random numbers to interrupt my counting... Yes, sounds even more mad, but I still feel I'm beating the obsessive in me haha.