Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite presents

(90 Posts)
dragonfly46 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:59:08

This may have been asked before but what has been your favourite present?

My DD, for my birthday each year buys me a monthly subscription of fresh flowers. They are such a joy throughout the year. These are the latest.

Deedaa Tue 30-Jun-20 19:44:54

I've mentioned it before but nothing has ever come close to the Rocking Horse I had for Christmas when I was six. My father made it and it was pretty much life size to me then. Dapple grey with a real horse hair mane and tail (which was donated by a horse I had met) I was absolutely stunned when I walked in and saw it.

On a more recent note DD has given me a DNA test for my birthday. She's a biochemist working with genetics so she reckons she's found me a good one.

kittylester Tue 30-Jun-20 20:48:10

My best ever present was a family photo shoot for my 70th birthday. It included a photo book and I love looking at it!

Witzend Tue 30-Jun-20 22:50:04

Oh yes, I’d forgotten photobooks. Dds made them through Snapfish or similar for our recent Big birthdays - photos from way back to the present.
It took me ages to go through umpteen old albums to find a good selection for dh’s - had to wait until he was out for a few hours.

We did a similar for a dd recently - although she’d had a fantastic big wedding do she’d never had a proper album, all the shots were digital. So an album with lots of the best went down very well - nearly 5 years after the event!

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 01-Jul-20 09:49:03

My family have all given me great presents. My favourite from OH is an ice cream maker (the type which is just like a mini freezer); my daughter gave me a beautifully bound copy of Pride & Prejudice, which is my favourite book; elder son knows I love baking so bought me one of those circular spinning things which you balance a cake on to ice, and finally younger son bought me a wonderful wooden tray with collapsible legs for eating breakfast in bed!

Froglady Wed 01-Jul-20 09:53:06

My favourite present as an adult was a SatNav. It's brilliant and perfect for someone who drives a lot, always on their own. It's seen me round France a couple of times and I wouldn't do without it when I'm driving somewhere that I don't know.

Liz46 Wed 01-Jul-20 09:55:11

I wish my daughters would not send me flowers. They arrive bruised and battered and sit in the vase dying. I would much prefer a plant.

My favourite present was a birds of prey experience. I love owls and we were kitted out with strong gloves and the birds flew to us. My little grandson came along and we have a photo of him very gently holding a baby barn owl - just a little bundle of white feathers.

annifrance Wed 01-Jul-20 10:00:15

All my granchildren.

Bluegrass Wed 01-Jul-20 10:04:07

Like Davidal1968 I really love a quality fragranced hand cream or body lotion. It feels like such a wonderful indulgence. I once treated myself to a bottle of Chanel No19 body lotion - it was incredibly gorgeous!

Dee1012 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:05:03

My son gave me a rather large wicker basket filled with lovely little treats and things that I like....bubble bath, chocolate, a book token etc.
It was so lovely.

hicaz46 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:09:34

Before lockdown I loved experience gifts. My daughter bought me one for a restaurant in Cornwall, where we should have been enjoying the meal yesterday. Sadly that holiday was cancelled and they have kindly extended the expiry date on the experience voucher. I don’t really need non practical gifts so this was perfect.

Granfran Wed 01-Jul-20 10:17:31

My DD for last Mothers Day gave me a quilt she had made for me. It was a total surprise and she had quilted little personal messages at each corner. I just adore it and it warms my heart every night as I climb into bed.

optimist Wed 01-Jul-20 10:18:32

A collapsible wheelbarrow

GrannySomerset Wed 01-Jul-20 10:19:36

Nothing has ever equalled the Christmas morning when I woke to find a wonderful doll’s house in my bedroom. Half-way through the war nothing new was available and my godparents had bought and decorated a second or third hand one, complete with lights and a car in the garage as well as furniture and a resident family. I played with it for years and sold in in 1953 in order to buy a wrist watch suitable for someone starting secondary school.

Craftycat Wed 01-Jul-20 10:20:18

I agree with Evie64- My Kindle is best present ever. I have been an avid reader all my life & this is just brilliant for reading in bed if DH asleep without waking him by turning on light & it is great on the beach too.
It fits in my handbag & I never go out without it- just in cae I get held up somewhere.
Had a birthday with a 0 at the end last week - very depressing but I got a lovely bracelet from DS & Dil which made it bearable. Just!

Coconut Wed 01-Jul-20 10:22:55

I must admit to always being spoilt by my 3 AC. Apart from my iPad, my all time favourite gift was tickets to see Lionel Richie in London, overnight hotel stay, champagne etc It was just amazing.....

Wigtown Wed 01-Jul-20 10:34:56

Best present ever was when my SIL bought me a season ticket to Liverpool Garden Festival in 1984. I was a single mum of a 3 year old at the time so entrance fees were prohibitive. We went most days and have wonderful memories of a brilliant summer, which we still talk about today.

Humbertbear Wed 01-Jul-20 10:37:10

I bought my DS and DiL a joint birthday present at the beginning of lockdown. A robot vacuum cleaner. They love it and have named it Phil. It’s become one of the family. for my 60th my DV bought me an easel and some paints and I have never looked back.
Worse present? A yogurt maker

Grandmamaoftwo Wed 01-Jul-20 10:39:49

The best present I received, and still recieving is a a bookshop gift subscription, a new book arrives the first of each month. I absolutely love it!

In order to deduce your reading taste there is a questionnaire, you can list books you have read and enjoyed and some you haven’t.
A pre-paid envelope is enclosed in case they send you a book you’ve already read or don’t wish to read, it will be replaced with another, this so far has not happened. I’ve read books that maybe I wouldn’t have chosen but have enjoyed. It’s exciting when the parcel arrives, it’s the present that keeps on giving, especially during lockdown.

Mollygo Wed 01-Jul-20 10:39:58

My best presents: Kindle from DH-way back when they had keyboards-he also replaced it for me with a Paperwhite later. and a Premium Pass for Futuroscope -I went on Dances with Robots twice! There’s nothing quite like being whirled round and turned upside down to get the Adrenalin going.

nannypiano Wed 01-Jul-20 10:42:23

My Kindle is also my favourite gift from my son and daughter in law one Christmas. I enjoy the free monthly reads that come with my Prime account.

moobox Wed 01-Jul-20 10:47:21

I did the flower subscription for my mother, and I assume from the daily descriptions of how the flowers are doing that she quite likes having flowers in the house, I may continue the idea

Bijou Wed 01-Jul-20 10:54:04

The present I will never forget is the beautiful wooden box of Reeves water colour paints that my father bought for me on my tenth birthday (1933). The price label was still on the underside. A guinea. A great deal of money in those days. I treasured and used that box for many years until I went into the WAAF and my mother threw it away.

Gingergirl Wed 01-Jul-20 10:56:38

A handmade little wooden box made especially for me, by a friend. Many years on, I still look at it and remember the good times we had.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:08:13

For my lockdown birthday both DDs together got a high tea delivered for both of us. It was totally unexpected and just the perk needed for Lockdown!

moggie57 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:13:08

Subscription to evergreen magazine.love this book.